Official Direct Thread: Moonrise Kingdom

Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
Consider this your official thread for Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom. What are your favorite moments, themes, and compositions? How do you think this film relates to the rest of Anderson's filmography? Discuss! 
"Do you know what nemesis means?"

Comments

• I really love what Bruce Willis does in this movie. I wish he'd work with Anderson more. Great composition (of course) there's not much I don't love about this movie.
    DaveyMac
  • Just watched this for the first time since it came out. I know a ton of people love it, but I am just kind of in the middle. I liked it okay both times I've seen it. 

I will say though, that I absolutely love the opening sequence. The shot composition, the movement, the mise en scene, and most importantly for me, the record with the breakdown of an orchestra. It kind of feels like Wes Anderson's commentary on his own films. Each one is a small variation on the same tune, all contributing to a larger whole. 

The rest of the film is fine, but for whatever reason I just don't really connect with it in the same way that so many people do. I don't mind the idea of mature kids. I've known several kids that were more mature than you think kids would be so that doesn't bother me at all. However, I'm not a fan of the deadpan performances, though. It's worked for me in the past on his films, but for whatever reason, I just don't like the deadpan that these kids are doing. 

Still, the whole thing is very finely crafted and beautiful to look at. Plus, I love Bob Balaban as the narrator. It's always a joy when he pops up on screen. 

I'm really looking forward to the cast for this one to see if you guys have come around on it all after this viewing.

Lastly, my favorite line in the movie is Bill Murray's reaction to Frances McDormand asking if he's concerned that their daughter has run away: "That's a loaded question." 
    Wahl-e
    "No Hay Banda!"
  • I like this more than most other people seem to.  I was a bit let down by 'The Darjeeling Limited' and didn't see 'Fantastic Mr. Fox" (I tend not to watch animated movies) so when 'Moonrise Kingdom' came out it felt like a return to what I wanted from Anderson and it lived up to my expectations of old.

• Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    Howdy folks. We'll be releasing this podcast tomorrow night. Thanks for your patience. 
    DaveyMac
  • Looking forward to this one. I really liked it (music for sure hooked me in).
  • I love the Direct pod but I erased this one after 1/3 of the way through. I'm usually fine with an opinion that isn't in line with mine but I thought Eric's dislike of this movie was completely without reason. I don't know exactly why this pod made me so mad but it did. Of course, I'll continue to listen b/c I think Eric and Levi do a great job just wasn't down with the criticism of this particular film. 

For the record I think Moonrise Kingdom is Anderson's 3rd best film behind Tenenbaums and Rushmore.
  • Yeah, I really liked "Moonrise Kingdom" as well.  I've only seen it once, years ago, but remember thinking it was heartwarming without being twee.
  • Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
    fidoz said:

I love the Direct pod but I erased this one after 1/3 of the way through. I'm usually fine with an opinion that isn't in line with mine but I thought Eric's dislike of this movie was completely without reason. I don't know exactly why this pod made me so mad but it did. Of course, I'll continue to listen b/c I think Eric and Levi do a great job just wasn't down with the criticism of this particular film.

I understand that a lot of people love this film and that I'm in the minority with my opinion. I'll always give my honest opinion on this podcast, and I'm happy you appreciate that. 

I found myself in a similar situation with Red Letter Media's review of Rogue One. I love those guys, but could not stomach their review because I disagreed with just about all of their points. They came across as nit picky and cynical. 

I hope I didn't come across as nit picky and cynical. Moonrise Kingdom is a fine film, it's just my least favorite Anderson film. That's it. 

Keep on keeping on...