The Best of 2016

TravisTravis CA
edited January 2017 in Other TV
Hi Everybody.
I saw the post about the Baldies and it made me wonder what everyone else in here has in their top 5s for the year. Also, feel free to expand to other categories (best performances, best soundtracks, best episodes, funniest moments, etc.). I'm going to meditate on it a bit before listing anything, but I figured I would toss it out there. So, what say you?

EDIT: If someone else has started a thread like this already and I missed it, I apologize. If that is so please let me know, I would like to find it and check it out. Thanks!
cdriveVasilnate1

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Hey I like the idea of a Top 5 on what was good about 2016.

1)Narcos - Season 2
    2)JEFF the Brotherhood - Zone
    3)Rogue One
    5)Private Company SpaceX Successfully Lands A Rocket Vertically (ON A FREAKING BOAT IN THE OCEAN!!!)

TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I think my top 5 in order are Game of Thrones, Penny Dreadful, This is Us, Stranger Things, and Better Call Saul. Runners up are Orange is the New Black, How To Get Away With Murder, and American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare.
    TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • Better Call Saul
    Black Mirror
    Game of Thrones
    Daredevil
    Mr Robot

Things I still need to see: Atlanta, People vs OJ, Horace and Pete, Halt and Catch Fire

Things I watched and didn't like as much as everyone else: ONitB, Westworld, Bojak, Veep
    TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    The People vs OJ takes the cake for my favorite show this year. I was thoroughly entertained for every single episode. Not many shows can say that.

Tied for second would be Westworld, Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, and Atlanta.

An honorable mention would be Baskets. That was a pretty surprisingly entertaining show that picked up a few episodes in.

FARGO AND THE LEFTOVERS THIS YEAR!!! Bring on 2017.

I'll probably get back to this list later on.
    TravisElisa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited January 2017
    In 2016, Mission Log Podcast finally arrived at my favorite stretch of Star Trek episodes, seasons 4 and 5 of TNG. 2016 (Sept. 8) was Star Trek's 50th anniversary and there was a weird symmetry that happened where the episodes covered that month were the ones that aired right around the 25th anniversary in 1991, especially the Spock episodes. I don't know if the timing was planned that way but it gave me a real sense of Trek being this little artifact of cultural history that keeps being passed down from generation to generation. 

It wasn't a great year for movies, but there were a few good ones. I enjoyed Civil War, Rogue One, Keanu, The Neon Demon, and Suicide Squad. On TV, Stranger Things and Westworld really stand out, and I remember loving Better Call Saul, even though I don't remember a lot of it. American Horror Story was pretty decent but not likely to go down as a personal favorite. Marvel and Netflix killed it with Daredevil (Elektra and SO MANY NINJAS) and Luke Cage, which wins best soundtrack of the year.

2016 was the year I finally gave into the peer pressure and watched Game of Thrones. I resisted forever then it took me about 2 and 1/2 weeks to go through the entire series, just in time for the Battle of The Bastards to be the first episode I had to wait for. (I loved it, btw, and through GoT I discovered Ozzy Man Reviews. Quite possibly the funniest youtuber ever to youtube.) 

MichelleTravisElisaVasilnate1
  • SPOILERS for GoT ahead. My top five this year:

1. Stranger Things
    Just perfect. First time in years I binge-watched a show until 5 in the morning because it was just too good.

2. Game of Thrones
    Jon Snow resurrection. Hold the door! The Hound resurrection. Battle of Winterfell. The Mad Queen.
    Come on, this was a fantastic season!

3. Westworld
    It was hard to find good reviews of the show that didn't force you to go down a rabbit hole of crackpot theorizing, something that I found quite annoying. But that's not the show's fault. Great acting, atmosphere, music, and, most importantly, themes.

4. Halt and Catch Fire
    Mad Men in the computer industry of the 80s, but essentially, a love story. I loved the podcast Jim did with Eric.

5.1 House of Cards
    Really came back this year in my opinion. Very, very dark towards the end. This one really benefits from viewers being able to binge over its weaker parts.

5.2 Better Call Saul
    Sometimes dragging its feet, and a bit heavy on montages, it's just fun to be back in the Breaking Bad universe. I hope it will get much darker in season 3.

Haven't watched Narcos, The people vs. O.J, or Atlanta. I wasn't as disappointed by Mr Robot as Jim was, I thought it was alright. Best comedy this year was Silicon Valley, once again. Biggest disappointment of 2016 (in terms of TV shows) was X-Files. But the thing about the Baldies that I look forward to the most is getting recommendations for stuff I completely missed this year!
    TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • There's a lot of shows I apparently missed in 2016. I have not watched Stranger Things, Black Mirror, The Get Down, Veep, OITNB, Girls, Orphan Black etc.  I have not finished Preacher, Animals, South Park etc.
    But from the things I watched this year, I enjoyed overall:

Atlanta
    BoJack Horseman
    Insecure
    Better Call Saul
    Westworld

Those are the ones I watched I remembered.  I honestly was not really feeling Mr. Robot nor Game of Thrones this year.

TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 2017
    I totally flubbed it on my previous post.  ADD sometimes screws up my reading comprehension.  I thought it was 'all things good 2016'.

Top 5 2016 TV:

1) Narcos Season 2. It's #1 for me personally just cause I got into Narcos Season 1 & 2 in 2016.  Very satisfying binge.
    2) Westworld.  I was strongly anticipating not liking this cause Western/Sci-Fi, and I couldn't have been more wrong. Favorite episode being "door? what door"
    3) Game of Thrones Season 6. Still on doors...fav episode - Hold the Door.
    4) Stranger Things. Drenched in 80s nostalgia and glorious Wendy Carlos-esque synth sounds.  And I'm a fan of the Steven King 'boys growing up' format, a la Stand By Me & It.
    5) Silicon Valley Season 3. Fav episode was where they had to pretend everything is normal by still razzin' on Dinesh's chain and Jared, bless his heart, took it way too far (lmao) Also I'm a big fan of Martin Starr. Bill Haverchuck For President!

*Honorary mention / #6 goes to Vikings Season 4, and a special GFY goes to The Walking Dead.

TravisElisaVasilnate1TaraC73
  • I decided to go for moments

1. Cubs Game 7 World Series
    2 Darth Vader Hallway Scene
    3. Game of Thrones Battle of the Bastards
    4. Binging Stranger Things in 9 hours straight
    5. Dave Chappelles SNL appearance
    TraviscdriveElisaVasilnate1DummyTaraC73
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited January 2017
    1. The Americans
    2. Atlanta
    3. Halt and Catch Fire
    4. Game of Thrones
    5. People vs OJ
    TravisElisaVasilnate1
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2017
    The top 5 shows that I watched:
    Westworld
    Game of Thrones
    Stranger Things
    Better Things
    The People v. OJ Simpson

Honorable Mentions: Difficult People, Atlanta, Better Call Saul, 11/22/63, the Good Place
    *Better Call Saul may be in better contention for both show and the performances by Rhea Seehorn, Bob Odenkirk, and Michael McKean, but I honestly don't remember the show well enough to say for certain. I know it was great and they all totally killed it, but it's been so long and the impact is lost a bit. I'm a fickle person I suppose. I also heard amazing things about the Americans and I totally believe it, but I just never got around to it this year.

Best Female Performances:
    Eva Green (Penny Dreadful) #1 with a bullet despite some amazing competition
    Sarah Paulson (People v. OJ Simpson)
    Pamela Adlon (Better Things)
    Thandie Newton (Westworld)
    Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)

Best Male Performances:
    Sterling K. Brown (People v. OJ Simpson)
    Courtney B. Vance (People v. OJ Simpson)
    Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel)
    Andre Braugher (Brooklyn 99)
    Anthony Hopkins (Westworld) - I kept going back and forth between him and Jeffrey Wright, who did perhaps give a technically better performance but I just love watching Anthony Hopkins do his thing. He is just so much fun to watch and seemed to be having such a great time with that role.
    Ted Danson (the Good Place) - I ended up going with 6 because I was looking over the list and I just didn't want to leave him out. Also, this kind of makes up for doubling up on OJ.

Thing that made me the happiest: Watching Timothy Olyphant play himself on the Grinder
    Most Pleasant Surprise: Derek with Ricky Gervais. 
    Best "Boomerang": I stopped watching the Leftovers Season 2 because I was hoping my wife would want to catch up and jump in and therefore didn't see the last few of them until mid 2016. Best season of television I've watched in a while. Since that may not entirely count because I was about 2/3 through the season last year I would go with Veep which I hadn't watched at all until this year and You're the Worst which was a really fun surprise.
    Album of the Year - Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow
    pavlovsbelltom_gElisaVasilnate1Dummy
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited January 2017
    Apologies, @Travis , for not following the rules. "Top five television shows" is too restrictive for me, and I don't know how to quantify art so I'm shite at ranking these things; thus I am going to cheat and list honorable mentions. Basically a top whatever list after the first three shows:

The Americans
    Atlanta
    Rectify
    Fleabag
    OJ: Made in America / The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

Honorable mentions:
    BoJack Horseman
    Happy Valley
    Better Things
    Veep
    The Girlfriend Experience
    Game of Thrones

@Frakkin T: I love Ozzy Man. I don't usually watch reaction videos, but someone recommended Hunter Boyle, and she is a sharp lady. She is up to midseason 6 of GoT, and watching her figure out RLJ on her own was oddly exciting.
    tom_gTravisDrewElisaVasilnate1
  • @pavlovsbell Ha! No worries, no rules. Just figured I would toss a basic form of structure out to be a little more user friendly. Glad to see Fleabag get a mention. I really enjoyed that show a lot. I also really need to get around to The Americans. I keep hearing about what a fantastic season it was.
    pavlovsbellElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited January 2017
    @Travis  Thanks. :)  I get stressed out by Top Five lists: deciding on that last slot is too much pressure. I wouldn't last long with the guys in High Fidelity.  Btw, The Good Place returns tonight. I'm looking forward to that. 
    Travis
  • I've missed out on so much tv this year. I think I only saw about five shows:

1. Better Call Saul
    2. BoJack Horseman
    3. The Get Down
    4. Game of Thrones 
    5. Black Mirror (I still have to watch the final episode)

I watched all of Stranger Things and really enjoyed it while watching it, but I've kind of soured on it in the time since.

Shows I really need to catch up on:
    Westworld (I still have to see the last two episodes)
    Atlanta
    Rectify (saw season 1, but for some reason didn't continue)
    Insecure
    Veep (Only seen the first episode)
    Both OJ shows
    The Americans (Haven't seen any of it)

TravisElisaVasilnate1Dummy
  • @Travis  Thanks. :)  I get stressed out by Top Five lists: deciding on that last slot is too much pressure. I wouldn't last long with the guys in High Fidelity.  Btw, The Good Place returns tonight. I'm looking forward to that. 

Thanks for the heads-up on The Good Place. I knew it had to be coming up soon, but I didn't know it was tonight. Awesome!
  • Travis said:

@Travis  Thanks. :)  I get stressed out by Top Five lists: deciding on that last slot is too much pressure. I wouldn't last long with the guys in High Fidelity.  Btw, The Good Place returns tonight. I'm looking forward to that. 

Thanks for the heads-up on The Good Place. I knew it had to be coming up soon, but I didn't know it was tonight. Awesome!
    Sweet! I loved the first part of the season - I'm a sucker for Mike Schur's brand of silliness + earnestness.

And Ted Danson hamming it up is infinitely watchable. See also: Bored to Death.

Travis
  • And off the cuff, here's my list:

Atlanta - Paper Boi and Darius are my current favorite tv duo. Can't wait to see Donald Glover as Lando.

Better Call Saul - Villigan and co. made a riveting montage about post-it notes! What can't they do!

Americans - best soundtrack on TV? And they did something rare - have a well acted, well written, and interesting plot arc with a child character. And the Martha stuff was goddamn heartbreaking and terrifying.

Thrones - Last 15 minutes of the Door and first 15 of the finale stands up to anything on TV in a long time. Rest of the season was good too!

Halt and Catch Fire - one of my favorite casts on TV right now. And they pulled off a big time jump, which is hard to do. It could be cheesy, retconning late 1980s tech to attribute it to them, but it works.
    TravisElisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Rhea Seehorn should just win all of the awards. 
    tom_g
  • One more random award: Best Harrison Ford Swagger: David Harbour (Stranger Things)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I also have like the first few episodes of season 1 of Halt and Catch Fire. Need to make some sort of effort.  
    Elisa
  • @akritenbrink @Doctor_Nick It's a good time to catch up because there will be exactly one more season.
    Elisa
  • Vasilnate1Vasilnate1 Salem, MA
    edited January 2017
    Game of Thrones - 610 - "The Winds of Winter" in my top 3 of all thrones episodes ever

Westworld - 107 - "Trompe L'Oeil" I don't care if "everyone" knew, or theorized this reveal, it was still awesome!

Tom Segura - "Mostly Stories" man I really love me some good Adult humor

Dark Souls 3 - I think I played @150 hours over a 3-4 week period (basically a full-time job) best multi-player of the series

Narcos - season 2 binge watch - If you got me reading subtitles, then you know it's gotta be real good

My runner up goes to that new "Reality Show" that was on almost all the channels.  I think it was called "The Presidential Election" that shit was hilarious!

cdriveDummyDaveyMacTravis
  • TV:

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Atlanta 
    3. Westworld
    4. Stranger Things
    5. Better Call Saul
    Travis
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I have heard people recommend to just watch the season 1 finale of Halt and Catch Fire and then jump into the other seasons.  I need to retry it again.  Maybe skipping most of S1 may help.
  • Elisa said:

I have heard people recommend to just watch the season 1 finale of Halt and Catch Fire and then jump into the other seasons.  I need to retry it again.  Maybe skipping most of S1 may help.

At least watch the last two episodes of season 1. The penultimate episode was really good, and the finale wouldn't pay off much without having seen it.

Elisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited January 2017
    I asked the same question, but I think I have watched the first 3 episodes, and having used late 80s early 90s PCs, I find the whole Silicon Prairie Clone Warriors milieu really fascinating.  
    Elisa said:

Elisa