Why Bald move should cover syfys The Magicians

Because I just binged season one and its wonderful, and Walking Dead and American Horror Story are trash.
Anyone else love this show?

Comments

• Is this a TV adaptation of the Lev Grossman books?
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just started my binge and finished e4.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina

Is this a TV adaptation of the Lev Grossman books?

Yes it is
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    This caught my eye, but I wasn't sure if I would like it. Can you tell us a little more about it and what you like about it? I am low on shows right now. :)
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• I'm almost done with S1, and finding it surprisingly good.  

I was listening to one of the Walking Dead podcasts today, and they were talking about Negan whistling "A Hunting We Will Go/Farmer in the Dell" as they showed only his legs walking, which was an homage to Omar doing the same thing in The Wire.  Well, in S1E11, the Beast does the same thing while killing the protagonists in a dream sequence/alternate reality.  

Is this a common trope?  I've never noticed it before.  

And I agree...this would be a fun podcast. 

Elisa
  • This caught my eye, but I wasn't sure if I would like it. Can you tell us a little more about it and what you like about it? I am low on shows right now. :)

I would say think of it almsot like a Harry Potter for Young Adults (college age). It does carry a darker tone however. While I really like the show, I'm not sure it would ever be a good podcasting show because it doesn't have enough of a following. For those interested in the show you may want to read a synopsis of the 1st book as the 1st season is mostly the 1st book (with maybe some of the second (reading book 2 now).

SyFy has a few shows I watch and really enjoy The Expanse (maybe the best Space Drama since BSG), 12 Monkeys (a TT show that for the most part follows it's complicated rules) and the Magicians. I would give an Honerable Mention to Incorperated which to me had the same "feel" as Continuum (although not related story/plot wise)

Elisaakritenbrink
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The characters are very emo but so far from what I can see there's a lot more to story - layers and world building. I'm currently mid binge of S1.

I'm a sci fi fanatic and do enjoy several Syfy channel shows like the aforementioned The Expanse along with Killjoys and Dark Matter. Not hbo quality but enjoyable sci fi genre shows.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not a huge sci fi person, but I do like some more genre-ish shows if they have some other element that makes them good, like the good characterizations on Orphan Black.

I think the only thing I have ever watched on SyFy is Face Off, which my husband got me into. We love any reality show where it's a creative competition. 
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• I'm not a huge sci fi person, but I do like some more genre-ish shows if they have some other element that makes them good, like the good characterizations on Orphan Black.

I think the only thing I have ever watched on SyFy is Face Off, which my husband got me into. We love any reality show where it's a creative competition. 
    It's almost all tied around the main magic plot. So, not sure this one would be for you.
    akritenbrink
  • Is this a TV adaptation of the Lev Grossman books?

Yes it is
    Dang. Not sure if I want to watch it then.  I enjoyed those books, and most things I've seen on SyFy have been of dubious quality.
  • edited January 10

Is this a TV adaptation of the Lev Grossman books?

Yes it is
    Dang. Not sure if I want to watch it then.  I enjoyed those books, and most things I've seen on SyFy have been of dubious quality.
    SyFy has been slowly adding quality programming back. 12 Monkeys, The Magicians, Incorporated, The Expanse, Dark Matter, Killjoys, and a few others I'm sure I am forgetting. While at one point Inwould agree with you, I have to say over the past few years they ha e slowly gotten back into my good graces.
    Elisa
  • Remember Eureka, I loved Eureka
    And was really into Face Off
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I guess WD and AHS arent good comparisons since theyre fall and The Magicians season 2 is at the end of this month.
    But it is good, I wasnt expecting to like it.
    Elisa
  • Just realized this show is part of the "Offline Viewing" section of Netflix. Just DL the pilot. I'll check it out soon.

I try to support SyFy as much as I can. They have given me plently of good shows over the past 5-10 years. Always willing to give it a shot.

For me - Haven, Eureka and WHSE 13 really brought me back to SyFy. I just love the creativity of those 3 shows. Fun characters and good case of the week stuff. Plus Haven is one of my favorite Mythologies among Sci-Fi shows.
    Elisa
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.