Why Bald move should cover syfys The Magicians

2»

Comments

• I enjoy this show quite a bit but for me it's a brainless show.  It's definitely a C level show but it's enjoyable to watch.  In my opinion on how Jim talks about magic and fantasy in TV and movies he would hate this show.  This season has definitely cut back on the teenage like drama between the love conflicts between characters but even so I don't think either Jim or A.Ron would get on board this show.  Either way I'm enjoying season 3 and looking forward to seeing where they go with it from here.
    Elisadarwinfeeshy
  • Indeed, this season has been good. They are taking elements from book 3 and putting it into this one (I guess they weren’t done after all). While I do wish the guys or maybe even @Cecily watched/casted about the show, I’m thinking it would probably fit into a BMTV episode rather than dedicated cast. I haven’t seen much talk online in the forums I go to, but those who donwstxh tend to like it. 
    ElisaJovial_Falcon
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I love this show, it is a guilty pleasure but it is so fun and so out there at times that it verges on brilliancy for me.  It always makes me laugh and shout what the hell each episode.  The world they have created reminds me a lot of buffy.
    I am reading along with the show.  I have read the first two books and it is very different from the show.  The show, IMO is definitely better.  It is not for everyone.  LOL my husband hates it.  
    KingKobradarwinfeeshy
  • Elisa said:
    I love this show, it is a guilty pleasure but it is so fun and so out there at times that it verges on brilliancy for me.  It always makes me laugh and shout what the hell each episode.  The world they have created reminds me a lot of buffy.
    I am reading along with the show.  I have read the first two books and it is very different from the show.  The show, IMO is definitely better.  It is not for everyone.  LOL my husband hates it.  
    The amount of changes they have made is kind of crazy, but they have basically kept the “end points” so to speak. There are things in book three that haven’t happened yet and I’m wondering if they’ll take them in at all. I give the show a slight edge for some of the things they have done, but do miss some events from the book. 
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I have mixed feelings about the show. The books are among my favorite books ever. I read them as they came out. I've met the author, got my books signed, we've briefly emailed; I adore him and nearly everything he does. The books are, like, my soul language. It's hard to want to read them again, weirdly; they're too close. I love book 3. I love Eliot. I love Janet.

But the SyFy pilot was so, so bad to me. There was this weird rape part that wasn't treated like rape. The tone was off. Quentin was so peppy. Just, not for me.

However I love that Lev Grossman is making $$ and people are being introduced to the books. ... which really AREN'T for everyone either.
    KingKobraElisa
  • JaimieT said:
    I have mixed feelings about the show. The books are among my favorite books ever. I read them as they came out. I've met the author, got my books signed, we've briefly emailed; I adore him and nearly everything he does. The books are, like, my soul language. It's hard to want to read them again, weirdly; they're too close. I love book 3. I love Eliot. I love Janet.

But the SyFy pilot was so, so bad to me. There was this weird rape part that wasn't treated like rape. The tone was off. Quentin was so peppy. Just, not for me.

However I love that Lev Grossman is making $$ and people are being introduced to the books. ... which really AREN'T for everyone either.
    They didn’t at the time, but it’s been a reoccurring theme and I think they’ve called it out (once the character involved realized what happened). I think you kind of blended things in since that didn’t happen until much later on in season 1. For me Quentin has been moody just enough. If he was moody like he was in the books, well the show would be a beast to watch IMO. Of course when you have such strong feelings for the source material it’s always going to be hard to like the adapted format (movie or TV). 
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2018
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:

They didn’t at the time, but it’s been a reoccurring theme and I think they’ve called it out (once the character involved realized what happened). I think you kind of blended things in since that didn’t happen until much later on in season 1. For me Quentin has been moody just enough. If he was moody like he was in the books, well the show would be a beast to watch IMO. Of course when you have such strong feelings for the source material it’s always going to be hard to like the adapted format (movie or TV). 

I agree, a faithful adaptation of the books would suck. You need to see Quentin's thoughts for that to work.

Hmm... I think it was an attempted rape I guess. It was around the time everyone was sick of Game of Thrones using rape to show how male characters were bad. I know there are rape themes re: Julia; those don't bother me.
  • JaimieT said:
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:

I agree, a faithful adaptation of the books would suck. You need to see Quentin's thoughts for that to work.

Hmm... I think it was an attempted rape I guess. It was around the time everyone was sick of Game of Thrones using rape to show how male characters were bad. I know there are rape themes re: Julia; those don't bother me.
    There was an actual rape (in show) they didn’t treat as such really until the character “remembered” what happened to them and after that it was treated very much like one (and it continues to this season). There was one more at the beginning in a bathroom, but it was called out (but treated “lightly”) that one was VERY different than what happened later on. The character did refer to it as rape, but I think both in book and show it was treated about the same. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I wish the show cared a little less for plot, because it's not very good at it. It feels like characters are constantly traveling from one place to another and it feels hectic at times. I don't know the books, but it feels like they're trying to hit a set of plot points really quickly.

Apart from that, it's just very up and down. Sometimes it feels cheap and silly in the way that Hercules or Xena used to, and other times it's genuinely moving and entertaining.
  • chrisk said:
    I wish the show cared a little less for plot, because it's not very good at it. It feels like characters are constantly traveling from one place to another and it feels hectic at times. I don't know the books, but it feels like they're trying to hit a set of plot points really quickly.

Apart from that, it's just very up and down. Sometimes it feels cheap and silly in the way that Hercules or Xena used to, and other times it's genuinely moving and entertaining.
    The books do basically the same thing (a chapter “here” a chapter “there”). It’s much like GoT where you will hop around, unless they are all together. The quest was in the books, but is done differently. The show is taking elements from the books, but doing its own thing while still incorporating actual parts from the books (if that makes sense). The traveling is needed to get you to the end and the experiences the characters go through are needed to get them where they need to be as well. I don’t think they’ll end this season like book 3 ended, but maybe they will and surprise me. 
    Elisa
  • I think this show is SO unappreciated.  It's not perfect, but they have done an excellent job with world building and the character development has made me fall in love with the cast.  I love how they subvert tropes and aren't afraid to poke fun at themselves.  I can't remember the last time a show was so self-effacing and funny while still really making you care about the story.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The musical episode last night was amazing too.
    KingKobra
  • Elisa said:
    The musical episode last night was amazing too.
    I started off like Penny, but then they hit the Bowie and that made up for everything. 
    Elisa
  • edited March 2018
    KingKobra said:
    I started off like Penny, but then they hit the Bowie and that made up for everything. 
    Elliot + Musical Numbers = <3
    Elisa
  • Not much movement for this thread, but I’m still enjoying this show. They are still using elements from the book, but at least to me it’s very different so it keeps things “fresh”. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This season imo is probably the best. It’s whimsical, crazy and the character development is great. 
    KingKobraJovial_Falcon
  • I have been enjoying it quite a bit as well.  I haven't read the books at all so I don't have any of that to go off of but they definitely have some interesting character arcs going on, specifically Julia and Alice.  I'm 1 episode behind but I know the finale is coming not too long.   I'm curious to see how they leave it.  I haven't been following news wise at all but I'd assume they are getting more seasons. It seems like a fairly popular show.
  • I have been enjoying it quite a bit as well.  I haven't read the books at all so I don't have any of that to go off of but they definitely have some interesting character arcs going on, specifically Julia and Alice.  I'm 1 episode behind but I know the finale is coming not too long.   I'm curious to see how they leave it.  I haven't been following news wise at all but I'd assume they are getting more seasons. It seems like a fairly popular show.
    You never know with SyFy. Lately they have been letting certain shows finish (12 Monkeys), yes others they let die on the vine. If they do go forward it will probably be “all original” so for me that would be interesting. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Is 12 Monkeys over?  I believe they already renewed the Magicians for season 4.
    KingKobra
  • Elisa said:
    Is 12 Monkeys over?  I believe they already renewed the Magicians for season 4.
    I think there is like half a season or so they have to “air”, it’s all wrapped up as far as I know though. I might have missed it as SyFy treats it weirdly now. Thanks for the info on Season 4. Hopefully they stick to it. 
  • Really well done finale to show what will happen in the next season. They changed things up enough from the books where they can now go off on their own. Looking forward to see how they do as this is a low key favorite of mine. 
    Elisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited April 2018
    KingKobra said:
    chrisk said:

The books do basically the same thing (a chapter “here” a chapter “there”). It’s much like GoT where you will hop around, unless they are all together. The quest was in the books, but is done differently. The show is taking elements from the books, but doing its own thing while still incorporating actual parts from the books (if that makes sense). The traveling is needed to get you to the end and the experiences the characters go through are needed to get them where they need to be as well. I don’t think they’ll end this season like book 3 ended, but maybe they will and surprise me. 
    It's very quest driven and they really seem to come fast and furious. I've liked it best when it just lets them chill in one location for a bit. The Antarctica school was a nice breather. Same for most any time they're at the library.

I haven't watched any of this season yet. My wife likes it more than I do, and we're still trying to finish Halt and Catch Fire while watching our own things.