Travelers (Netflix)

I was a little surprised that no one had mentioned this show on here yet.  You all should definitely give it a shot. I heard "time travel" and thought yuck (I'm a big sci fi fan but my blind spots are usually time travel and AI. More a space opera kind of guy). But I gave it a shot. First episode was pretty good. Not blown away amazing. But more than enough to get me to watch another episode. And I'm glad I did. Binged it night's after work this week. 
Give it a try. Not on the caliber of Westworld. But this show is fun. And, in my opinion, great. My suggestion is, go in without knowing anything about it other than time travel. I guess I'll give some of the other (many) time travel shows a shot. But it will be tough to live up to this one.
Would love to hear what you guys think. 
Elisa

Comments

• Binged this last week and loved it! One of the few shows that I think could have used a couple more episodes to properly build to the climax and explore character arcs.
    Elisa
  • Its a fun show and an easy watch. Doesnt take itself overly serious. Def under the radar right now with an unknown cast. Man do i love that blonde girl. She is damn cute.
    Elisa
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    Good endorsements, im going to give it a shot
    Elisa
  • It's got Will from Will & Grace as one of the main cast. 

Very good.  I binged it on my "weekend" off after hearing it recommended by Steve Gibson on the Security Now podcast.  I had some gripes, though they were mostly minor.  Hopefully the second season will come quicker than S2 Westworld.  
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Adding to the list.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Interesting. I like time travel.
    Elisa
  • we watched ep 1 last night.  we'll see if it sticks.
    Elisa
  • Thumbs up from me! I really liked it, and I'm not usually a fan of the time travel motif.

My biggest issue with time travel plots is it all tends to fall apart eventually. It's easy to set up the initial intrigue, but just turns into a mess once they have to start actually answering the questions. So we'll see if this show can maintain. But so far so good. Not perfect, and the last couple of eps lost a bit of step for me. But very good otherwise. And I really like most of the cast too.
    MelonuskElisa
  • Some spoilers below.

Just finished S1 yesterday, and thought they did a good job for the first season, I like the cast as well. I have some theories for the cliffhanger of the last episode, but I have the feeling that they'll "reboot" at the start of S2 otherwise a) it will be a short show or b) the show will change drastically. So either Forbes' a traveler, or they will use that sweet MIB memory dump tool. Or everything gets revealed and we're in for a treat.
    Elisaphoenyx1023
    I binged both seasons of this over the past few weeks. I really liked it, although it seems to be coming apart at the seams a little by the end of season 2. I hope it doesn't go in an Orphan Black direction where it stops making sense altogether. 

I am offended though, due to my deep hatred of Canadians, that this is a show ostensibly set in Seattle and yet when they go to a rave and go into the restroom it's labeled WASHROOMS. 
    ElisaSandyWest79
  • I love this show! It's not perfect when it comes to plot and pacing, but the characters are great!  It's been a very long time since I've been as invested in a character as I am with David.  He is so great!!  And he proves that characters can be interesting and compelling without needing to be deeply flawed anti heroes.  There is an episode in which Marcie is experiencing her hosts memories, which are pretty horrifying.  The moment she finally meets David for the first time is so powerful and so emotional!!  The show has it's flaws, but it's hard for me to criticize it after moments like that.  Would highly recommend!
    akritenbrinkSandyWest79
    Shum said:
    I love this show! It's not perfect when it comes to plot and pacing, but the characters are great!  It's been a very long time since I've been as invested in a character as I am with David.  He is so great!!  And he proves that characters can be interesting and compelling without needing to be deeply flawed anti heroes.  There is an episode in which Marcie is experiencing her hosts memories, which are pretty horrifying.  The moment she finally meets David for the first time is so powerful and so emotional!!  The show has it's flaws, but it's hard for me to criticize it after moments like that.  Would highly recommend!
    Yeah, the characters are what keeps you coming back for sure. The actress who plays Marcy was also on Hell on Wheels, which I watched right before this, and was good on that too. And you are right about David. I also like his little funny moments, especially when he said he felt like a minor character in a crazy sci fi movie or whatever it was he said. :D 
  • Shum said:
    I love this show! It's not perfect when it comes to plot and pacing, but the characters are great!  It's been a very long time since I've been as invested in a character as I am with David.  He is so great!!  And he proves that characters can be interesting and compelling without needing to be deeply flawed anti heroes.  There is an episode in which Marcie is experiencing her hosts memories, which are pretty horrifying.  The moment she finally meets David for the first time is so powerful and so emotional!!  The show has it's flaws, but it's hard for me to criticize it after moments like that.  Would highly recommend!
    @Shum  I completely agree with everything you say here! I am totally silly but I have a huge crush on David! :blush: He is just so wonderful.

And I love the dynamic between him and Marcie. There was one moment in S2 when he finally got a bit pissed off at her, and I was like jumping up and down on my couch cheering: Yeah David, that's right! Stand up for yourself! :)
  • @SandyWest79.  Yeah, Marcie is pretty unapologetic about taking advantage of David, but I still ship it.
    I kind of had to suspend disbelief as soon as David just kind of accepted that Marcy wasn't really disabled without a lot of additional questions or whatever and just basically let her move into his apartment.