What are you binging right now?

Comments

• So apparently EPIX has a War of the Worlds series going on currently, I had no idea, just happened to click through and see it, so I watched the first 2 episodes, its not bad, appears they put some decent money behind it, I'm surprised they haven't advertised it more.
  • Binged all of High Fidelity yesterday, Have to say it was fantastic, for me to binge an entire series on a Monday would normally take Space, Historical fiction, or some magic element, for a dramedy to make me binge like that is pretty impressive, Zoe is so good. Her best acting yet.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    BroRad33 said:
    So apparently EPIX has a War of the Worlds series going on currently, I had no idea, just happened to click through and see it, so I watched the first 2 episodes, its not bad, appears they put some decent money behind it, I'm surprised they haven't advertised it more.
    There are actually two different War of the Worlds shows around the corner. I think the other one is a BBC joint.

Edit: Yep BBC, but it ended back in December 
    BroRad33
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited February 27
    The flu last week gave me the chance to binge:
    • Altered Carbon, season 1 - Visually interesting science fiction, some thought provoking ideas. Good enough show that I'll probably catch season 2 at some point in the future. Helps that the second season is only going to be eight episodes. 
    • Dark - Oh man, I really like this show. Great characters, interesting plot, timey wimey shenanigans. Not what I expected in about the best way imaginable. 
    • Stranger Things, season 3 - Good season! I do wonder how many they have in them. I wouldn't be too broken up if the 4th is the last, though I could see them having a couple more seasons of setup and payoff. I hope they don't push it too far, though, especially as they keep expanding the cast. 
    • Barry, season 2 - What a show. My initial thought is "best comedy on TV", then I remember all of the other great comedy shows on TV right now and am reminded that comedy is also very much a part of the Golden Age. Though given what happens at the end of this season, I have to wonder if Barry also has more than a season or two left in its tank without reaching absurd levels.

Now that I'm better, I'm technically binging The Witcher, but only an episode a night. Two episodes in and I'm enjoying it so far. At the moment, it feels like a better acted and produced version of Hercules and Xena
    BroRad33Eine FrauElisaTeresa from Concord
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    What an embarrassment of riches we have in this TV era.  I just made a quick list on a spreadsheet to help remind me all the shows I've started, need to start, need to get back to and need to get ready for.  THERE ARE SO MANY SHOWS!!!!!

1 Hunters Restart ep 1
    2 Outsider Restart ep 1
    3 Wu Tang Start ep 2
    4 High Fidelity Start ep 3
    5 Kingdom S2 starts in March
    6 Succession pick up where we left off
    7 Better Call Saul binge
    8 Castlevania binge season 2 to get to season 3
    9 Unbelievable pick up where we left off
    10 Curb Your Enthusiasm Start it up
    11 The New Pope Catch up
    12 I Know This Much Is True Starts in April
    13 I Am Not Okay With This Restart ep 1
    14 Lost In Space pick up where we left off
    15 Westworld S3 Starts in March
    Elisaken hale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Just finished Gentefied - slice of life Mexican American family story in Los Angeles.  Really enjoyable.  Altered Carbon S2 - different than the first season and lot more about the history of stacks/humanity's reach for the stars and a bit of a love story.  There are some real great fight scenes too.  Entertaining and fun.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    cdrive said:
    What an embarrassment of riches we have in this TV era.  I just made a quick list on a spreadsheet to help remind me all the shows I've started, need to start, need to get back to and need to get ready for.  THERE ARE SO MANY SHOWS!!!!!

1 Hunters Restart ep 1
    2 Outsider Restart ep 1
    3 Wu Tang Start ep 2
    7 Better Call Saul binge
    11 The New Pope Catch up
    Why do I keep forgetting about High Fidelity? I loved the movie and want to see if the tv show is any good.
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    cdrive said:

1 Hunters Restart ep 1
    2 Outsider Restart ep 1
    3 Wu Tang Start ep 2
    7 Better Call Saul binge
    11 The New Pope Catch up
    You forgot Fargo! Starts in April, I think. 
    Elisacdrive
  • cdrive said:

1 Hunters Restart ep 1
    2 Outsider Restart ep 1
    3 Wu Tang Start ep 2
    7 Better Call Saul binge
    11 The New Pope Catch up
    Why do I keep forgetting about High Fidelity? I loved the movie and want to see if the tv show is any good.

High Fidelity was fantastic.
    fidozTeresa from Concord
  • edited March 14
    @cdrive that's a brilliant idea and, while I'm nowhere near as professional about it, I've got my own coronavirus social distancing binge list of shows I definitely want to run through, probably in this order:

- Runaways on Disneyplus (all 3 seasons)
    - Lost in Space on Netflix (season 2)
    - Expanse on Amazon (season 4)
    - New Pope on HBO (season 2)
    - Legion on Hulu (seasons 1-3?!? didn't know there was 3)
    - Glow on Netflix (season 3)
    - The Deuce on HBO (season 3?!? missed this too?)
    - Big Little Lies on HBO (season 2)

Damn, it's really crazy scrolling through these apps how many other good shows I'm overlooking or merely interested in checking out.  Three weeks in self-quarantine isn't even enough time.
    cdriveElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Yesterday my daughter and I watched all of the Red Riding trilogy (seeing Paddy Considine in The Outsider has made me want to rewatch other stuff of his). It’s been a couple of years since I last saw it but it’s still incredibly depressing and horrifying (trigger warnings for torture, child abuse, gut-wrenching violence), but fuck me, it’s well made. So many good actors too - Andrew Garfield in an early role, David Morrissey being as amazing as he usually is when he’s not trying to pull off an American accent), Sean Bean, Robert Sheehan, Maxine Peake, my fave Eddie Marsan, etc. The standout is Mark Addy of all people, better known for comedy. He is heartbreakingly good as a solicitor who returns to his home town to bury his mum and gets caught up in a horrifying town secret. 
  • The last couple days I watched Runaways season 1 (Pretty good superhero-mystery-teen-drama, a bit cheesy but up my alley and, in my opinion, pretty well-acted and written. I know it isn't exactly prestige television, but I liked it.) and Umbrella Academy season 1 (Very stylish and cool, seems like every episode has a memorable musical montage, does the large-scale action, high-concept sci-fi, and personal stuff all equally well, hits all the emotional tones.  Really well-cast...I just don't like ellen page or her character, and that's a big part of it).  Ton of shows I'm trying to catch up on right now.  Umbrella Academy wasn't even originally on my list, dangit. 
    Elisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Awkwafina is Nora from Queens. Yo. This show is so damn good. She cracks me up. And the grandmother is great too.
    ken hale
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Kingdom.

Kingdom Kingdom Kingdom. Shove it in my veins. It’s all I’m doing right now. 
    Elisaken hale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I started Outlander it’s now on Netflix. An ex WW2 nurse travels back to Scotland in the 1700’s. Pretty good, a little bit High on romance but I do enjoy the European history and it really shows how hard it was to be a woman back then. I’m in the midst of S2 and they are now in France. 

Babylon Berlin S3 - German with subtitles film noir meets German existentialism and bizarre during the jazz era 1929 and spotlights the Weimar Republic at the start of Nazi germany. It’s very well acted and love the German clubs, music, theatre and films of that era. Of course there is foul play everywhere. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Knocked out McMillions yesterday. Plowing through my streaming queue. May rewatch season 1 of What We Do In The Shadows.
  • Kingdom's second season was a quick binge. Hell of an entertaining season!
    Elisaken halecdrive
  • edited March 17
    Legion - season 1 

I swear I've watched the first couple episodes like three times and it just loses me.  I really pushed through 1-5 yesterday, like - start, get distracted, rewind, rewatch, get distracted, rewind again - with every episode.  I didn't like it and was ready to come trash it today until I watched episode 6.  That one was incredible.  I think my issue with the first half of the season is that I just don't like David.  And it's so focused on him, winding in and out of a handful of fairly mundane memories and stuff; I just can't care because there's nothing inherently compelling or likeable about him as a character (to me).  But episode 6 starts to let the other characters develop more on their own and the storytelling becomes significantly more linear and focused.  

There's so much to like about this show.  The last three episodes really blew me away.  Aubrey Plaza is really sensational, totally chewing the scenery at times but the role also calls for it.  I'm probably missing a lot of the visual references or influence from other directors, but the ones I do pick up on I'm totally on board for. They're really striving for some avant-garde television and they pull it off with genuine flair.  The most high-concept superhero/comic book property that I've seen, by a long shot.  In episode 7, when he's drawing on the chalkboards and basically creates a sequential-art backstory for himself, complete with a knowing wink to Professor X walking around defeating the Shadow King with his mind?  Come on, I loved that.  Definitely going to watch the next season after I check a couple other shows off my list.
    Elisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    They just added all of Taxi to Hulu so why not. 
    ken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I’m going to look at the list of shows Bald Move covered that I have’t watched, pick one, then start on season one episode one. Nothing like more @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard to get me through a Shelter in Place!
    awookieeJaimieT
  • Watched GLOW season 3   I really enjoyed it, of course, and I feel like it was an upgrade over season 2, but that's just a vague feeling that I couldn't specify.  There were enough laugh-out-loud moments and the usual mature treatment of somewhat heavier social issues.  I did feel like it ended rather abruptly, like not on a cliffhanger, even, but I assume another season is forthcoming.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 18
    Top Chef season 12, Boston.
    I'd forgotten about Katsuji and Joy!
    ken hale
  • PSYCH REWATCH!!!! 

boom.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Broad City - all seasons

I love NY so I finally got around to watching this show in its entirety. I feel dumb for not watching it sooner. So damn funny. The finale had me ugly crying. I miss their relationship so much.

My crush on Ilana has no bounds. I’m in love with that woman.
    Hatorian
  • edited March 21
    Just finished Lost in Space season 2 on Netflix.  I really like this show, but I recognize that it's not going to impress everybody and it's probably just a notch or two below, say, Battlestar Galactica in terms of deep and thought-provoking science fiction.  It's kind of hilarious the way the show doesn't really have any discernible plot structure - it just kind of careens wildly from one imminent disaster to another, with plenty of apparent self-sacrificing moments thrown in, many of which turn out to be just false tension.  It is a little exhausting at times. But it's entertaining and well-produced and family-friendly and kind of lighter-fare escapism than a lot of television these days, so I enjoy it.  I like the cast (Except Will Robinson.  Oh, man, do I get the cringes when that kid is driving the plot, which is way too often).  Probably the main reason I was watching it was Parker Posey.  She really takes advantage of inhabiting a wild character and swings for the fences with her performance.  Final season supposed to be coming in 2021, so I'll be there for that.
    Elisa
  • I'm watching The Killing. Don't know if I'd stick with it normally but it is quarantine worthy I guess. I am actively rooting for protective services to take her son from her.

• Watched all of Altered Carbon season 2 over the weekend. Definitely isn't as strong as the 1st season and I think that has mostly to do with the story that was told. It just wasn't very compelling. I thought Anthony Mackie did a good job on the acting side of it and I'm curious to see where this series goes with the way it was left or if there was enough negative feedback that Netflix doesn't keep going with it. 
    ken hale
  • Watched all of "The letter for the king" I mean it's not made for me obviously but its pretty blah. The end battle is so static. 
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Does anyone else’s brain start a feedback loop when reading the word “binging?” My brain says binge-ing but my eyes says bing-ing. I dunno, it’s just a weird word, that’s all I’m saying. 

I’m currently on a TNG binge that I started when Picard was released. I remember background watching with my dad as a kid so I pretty much knew all the characters but didn’t really follow the stories. I’m loving the hell out of this show. Currently I’m in the tail end of season 4. 
    awookieeTeresa from Concord
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @hisdudeness915 We spell it bingeing in Oz. 
    hisdudeness915