What are you binging right now?

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    started watching Fear City: New York vs The Mafia on Netflix. pretty good if you're into mob docs.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited July 30
    Chinaski said:
    started watching Fear City: New York vs The Mafia on Netflix. pretty good if you're into mob docs.
    I finished that last night. It is super good. And it really doesn't overstay its welcome. It is three episodes instead of the usual six. I thought it was entirely enthralling. It is amazing the amount of work law enforcement did on that case (and others to be sure), but so many things had to go just right for that to happen the way it did. 
    Chinaski
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Watching Frayed on HBOMax. It’s got a fleabag vibe.
    its good only like 6 episodes. Not bad a little over the top. If it had more episodes I might have lost interest but it has some funny bits. 
  • Getting into Doom Patrol on HBO Max. Really thought I would hate it, but it's way better than I thought it would be. About halfway through season 1.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Peeps said:
    Getting into Doom Patrol on HBO Max. Really thought I would hate it, but it's way better than I thought it would be. About halfway through season 1.

I just finished the first season and I liked it a lot. It's one of the weirdest and grossest comic book shows out there (beard hunter is not OK and the other thing that happens in that episode...) but that's part of what makes it work. It gets a little up its own ass with some of the Mr Nobody gimmicks and the jokes about the DC streaming service feel a little self defeating but that's going to happen when you try and get that meta.
    Peeps
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    Travis said:
    ken hale said:
    rkcrawf said:
    Community. Just started watching last month. On S2. Easily one of my fav comedies. It strikes me as a good blend of Arrested Development, The Office, and just enough flawed characters (Seinfeld/Always Sunny). 

Started Man in the High Castle, but my attention broke.

I just re-watched this, too!  The later seasons aren't quite as much of a let-down as I remembered from watching them at the time.

I've binge-watched a few of my favorite shows the last few months, but I didn't always make it through

Deadwood - I immediately wanted to rewatch it
    Buffy - barely pushed through season 6 and then gave up, have never seen 7
    The Wire - stopped after season 3 (because I don't like 4), and now I definitely don't rank this my #1 show anymore :(
    Community - watched it all, but the last three seasons do drag a bit
    My wife and I were watching Cougar Town a couple months back (really underrated, super fun show) and the episode where Abed is an extra came on and it totally made my day. I completely forgot that they did both sides of the mini-crossover. So awesome! I actually asked Kevin Biegel about it on Twitter and he was kind enough to respond. He said it was one of his favorite things that they got to do, and when I asked him about the "red tape" of it in a sort of "how did you guys pull that off, the shows were on different networks" he basically said "we all wanted to do it, so sometimes you've got to just do stuff and let it all shake out, so we did." That whole thing between the two shows was so fun.

I love Courgar Town but hate Community. I noticed the actor in the background but had no idea it was supposed to be the same character with a cross-over. 
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    Been rewatching Burn Notice which is on Amazon Prime right now.
  • edited August 3
    Finished up season 2 of Hannah on Amazon Prime. This is by no means Emmy worthy TV but it's a damn solid show. Season 1 had one or two bad episodes but I thought season 2 flowed and played really well. 

Also got about halfway through season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Definitely enjoying season 2 and their use of music in the show is extremely well done. It sounds weird but I look forward to seeing how they incorporate whatever song is next almost as much as the plot itself.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 8
    Re-watched IASIP Seasons 12-14 again and I have to say they hold up better. There’s definitely some missteps but there’s some really great blink if you miss it moments that are laugh out loud. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Community. God, this show loves itself. It irked me the first time and it’s irking me even more the second time, but I’ve worked my way through every other sitcom I can stand to rewatch so here I am.

There are some good things - the Dean, Troy and Abed’s little end credit shenanigans, the Dungeons & Dragons episode, John Oliver, and Britta is a maligned gem. But Shirley is so annoying I can barely stand to listen to her (made worse on this watch now that I know what a knob YNB is on social media), and the Jeff/Annie thing is super creepy. For some reason I thought that only started up in one of the later seasons but it’s a running thread from late S1. 
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    I’m halfway through season 1 (of 2) of Strange Angel about Jack Parsons, his Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and his dabbling in the occult.

It’s too bad this show got saddled with being on CBS All Access and kind of a C- title. So far I’m enjoying it.

This really should’ve been a Bald Move show (but I understand why it wasn’t). It was originally an AMC project and it had Ridley Scott as a producer. It looks like a million bucks. Throw in the history of science and the occult angle, and it’s a perfect fit. Too bad it fell through the cracks. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I’m watching Poldark on Amazon. It’s fine, a brooding romance drama. When I watch these Masterpiece Theater shows I always wonder if the people where more direct with each other maybe there problems wouldn’t be so bad. Just say if we join our businesses together we could make money provide jobs and bring our seaside town to prosperity. Just sayin. 
  • I started Cursed on Netflix, horrible decision. I'm about halfway through and it is not very good, but I have issues not watching a show through at least it's first season so I'll be grinding it out. Maybe it gets better but I certainly don't have my hopes up. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Started a rewatch of Mad Men. Once again disappointed there is no BM podcast (they started with a later season.) Like my The Wire first watch (that show is amazing) I’m asking all of you if there is a good Mad Men podcast?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Knocked out DARK. Fantastic.

Onto Umbrella Academy!
  • fidoz said:
    Almost done with my Sopranos rewatch. Gonna check out what this Yellowstone is all about next.

jluzania said:
    Now, at very very long last, I am jumping into Mad Men. Unfortunately, my timing is kind of rotten as Mad Men's years-long home on Netflix recently ended and shifted over to Amazon's IMDbTV. On one hand, IMDbTV is free. On the other, I already have Netflix and Prime, anyway. And IMDbTV is ad-supported, so I could have joined the millions who watched Mad Men on Netflix over the years and not had to see commercials, particularly the same five commercials repeatedly inserted randomly throughout the episodes instead of the show's old natural ad breaks. But I guess that's what I get for procrastinating for 13 years. Shame Amazon didn't stick it on Prime. 

In any case, 10 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. It'll be good to fill this particular Prestige TV gap. 
    What have you thought and how far in are you?

I also am jumping back in and rewatching Mad Men (I am liking it even more the second time around) after a Sopranos rewatch (probably a 5th or 6th rewatch in total for me) not that long ago. I may follow all of this up with a Boardwalk Empire rewatch (this will just be my first rewatch, but I loved how quiet the show was juxtaposed with the gangland violence out of the blue), just to put a cork on the Soprano's alum series. 
    Just finished season 4. What a rollercoaster of a season that was. 

The show is amazing. I see why it's always spoken of among the best of the Golden Age. Even with the details I've picked up on through cultural osmosis, it still manages to surprise. I think 4 was my favorite season so far, which seemed impossible to me
    post-Salvatore
  • We're going back through How I Met Your Mother and man, it's better than I remembered. I remembered that I liked it a lot, but goddamn that show is good. Even that last season that got so panned, and if memory serves I was even unhappy with at the time is pretty darn good. Really fun rewatch.
    cdrive
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Last person in the world to watch it but I watched through the first 8 episodes of Dark yesterday, boy that was a lot to take in. It's definitely not the easiest watch in the world but it's riveting. It's very funny in the moment but I do appreciate they go out of their way to try and make you understand who is who in what timeline with the side by side shots.
    cdrive
  • My friend and I were talking about our favourite shows of all time the other day and we got to talking about Northern Exposure, which is my favourite show of all time.  I realized that it has been a few years since I've seen it so I'm binging it now....I actually had to go to Best Buy to get a DVD player in order to watch it.
    cdriveTeresa from Concord
    My friend and I were talking about our favourite shows of all time the other day and we got to talking about Northern Exposure, which is my favourite show of all time.  I realized that it has been a few years since I've seen it so I'm binging it now....I actually had to go to Best Buy to get a DVD player in order to watch it.
    Loved Northern Exposure.

A few days ago I was prepared to buy a cassette player to play this:

Some local metal band.  Unfortunately the local record store sold out.    
    CretanBullChinaski
    Northern Exposure had some great DVD packaging.
    CretanBull
    Got caught down a rabbit hole binging Ram Jam Black Betty reaction videos.  So satisfying watching all these dudes getting their minds blown.  haha  :D
  • cdrive said:
    Got caught down a rabbit hole binging Ram Jam Black Betty reaction videos.  So satisfying watching all these dudes getting their minds blown.  haha  :D
    Have you ever seen the original video for that song?  They're playing in someone's backyard in front of like 12 people or something.  I'm guessing the record label wasn't expecting it to be a hit!
    cdrive
    cdrive said:
    Have you ever seen the original video for that song?  They're playing in someone's backyard in front of like 12 people or something.  I'm guessing the record label wasn't expecting it to be a hit!
    Yes! haha.

One reaction guy paused to say something like "This video costed three dollars to make" lol

This is my favorite reaction by far.  I can't believe I just listened to Black Betty like 8 times in a row. Ok yes I can.

CretanBullMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited August 15
    That's hilarious!  :sweat_smile:

I love watching reaction videos.  There's a series with kids reacting to hearing certain rock bands for the first time, like Queen or Motley Crue or whatever.  The kids are super cute & pretty awesome. :)

cdriveawookiee
  • Michelle said:

I'm about to say something awful, so please forgive me in advance...I want to smack that snotty kid with the long hair.
    Michelleawookiee
    I'm about to say something awful, so please forgive me in advance...I want to smack that snotty kid with the long hair.
    He was just too cool for it all.
    You should check out the Nirvana one.  There’s a little boy who just rocks out to it all.  Super cute. :sweat_smile:
    CretanBull
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:

Ill give you $10 to do it. 

CretanBull
    finally got around to watching Cobra Kai now that it's on Netflix. also, been watching Avatar: The Last Airbender with my 8 year old. both have been really fun watches.

cdrive
    edited September 7
    The Real World season 3 (San Francisco)
    It's bringing back memories!
    Chinaski