What are you binging right now?

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    It’s A Sin, a show about gay men in England in the 80s written by Russell T Davies. I watched all 5 episodes in a row and I was a wreck by the end. It wasn’t all sad, though - a lot of it was really joyful and fun, and the soundtrack was full of awesome 80s bops (as the kids say). 

I believe this is being released on HBO Max next weekend in the US, and I’m telling you now, drop everything and watch it. It’s so good. 
  • Hotel Cecil doc. Not a fan. Thought it was disingenuous at times and did nothing for the actual family considering they didn’t take part and it was produced by Ron Howard. 
    cdrive
  • Dee said:
    It’s A Sin, a show about gay men in England in the 80s written by Russell T Davies. I watched all 5 episodes in a row and I was a wreck by the end. It wasn’t all sad, though - a lot of it was really joyful and fun, and the soundtrack was full of awesome 80s bops (as the kids say). 

I believe this is being released on HBO Max next weekend in the US, and I’m telling you now, drop everything and watch it. It’s so good. 
    I've only watched one episode but I'm already a wreck and love the show
    Dee
  • Dee said:

Joanna Robinson was talking this up as well on her WandaVision podcast this week, she's going to do an episode on it with her co-host Richard Lawson.
    Teresa from ConcordDee
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:
    Hotel Cecil doc. Not a fan. Thought it was disingenuous at times and did nothing for the actual family considering they didn’t take part and it was produced by Ron Howard. 
    My friend thought it was pretty trashy and didn't really offer much of wieght, instead allowing web sleuths to spout their unsubstantiated theories. That's too bad. And it is really hard for me to get excited by anything Ron Howard is involved with. 
    Hatoriancdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Watched the first episode.  I am totally intrigued by the elevator footage. What  was that about? 
    Watched the first episode.  I am totally intrigued by the elevator footage. What  was that about? 
    Its really haunting stuff that gives me chills and creeps me out beyond belief. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 15
    Edited

They explain it in the last episode obviously. They don’t care about the people involved. Just another “hit documentary” for Netflix. there’s a poor metal internet celebrity who gets his life ruined by web sleuths. There’s some creepy guy who has some weird crush on the girl who died. And the people who made it clearly intended to just fuck with the facts to make an intriguing story. 

It’s better to just read the story online than give Netflix 4 hours of your time. 
    Dee
  • Making a murderer at least had a purpose of trying to show Steven Avery might be innocent and help his family get another trial. This doc just let weirdos spout theories for 3 hours before they tell you what most likely happened. Nothing for the family, no call to action, no reveal of wrongdoing, etc. Just bad memories now all over the internet again for them. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:
    Making a murderer at least had a purpose of trying to show Steven Avery might be innocent and help his family get another trial. This doc just let weirdos spout theories for 3 hours before they tell you what most likely happened. Nothing for the family, no call to action, no reveal of wrongdoing, etc. Just bad memories now all over the internet again for them. 
    Yeah, it’s grossly exploiting a woman’s serious mental health issues. 
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. I read the book when it came out and it clearly had no impact on me as I didn’t remember the story at all. I certainly didn’t remember it being this stupid. This is an absolute stinker. The story starts as a sort of domestic thriller but then goes all supernatural, and the acting is mediocre at best (Simona Brown) and terrible-almost-to-the-point-of-unwatchable at worst (Bono’s kid). 

It’s not even bad in a good way, because it’s so slow and boring when it’s not being completely bonkers. Avoid. 
    WarpedCore
  • The Expanse. The show has consumed me. Just started season 4. Drummer... damn I love that woman. She IS the best Belter, nobody comes close. I have been listening to the podcast as I have been going through the episodes and curious why Jim and A. Ron cruised through season four. Was a bit bummed to see this. 

Also re-watching Fargo since the GF never watched. Just started season 3. Nice to see Carrie Coon again. She would have also made a great belter.

BELTALOWDA!
    MsAnneElisaLab_Girl
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    The Expanse. The show has consumed me. Just started season 4. Drummer... damn I love that woman. She IS the best Belter, nobody comes close. I have been listening to the podcast as I have been going through the episodes and curious why Jim and A. Ron cruised through season four. Was a bit bummed to see this. 

Also re-watching Fargo since the GF never watched. Just started season 3. Nice to see Carrie Coon again. She would have also made a great belter.

BELTALOWDA!
    Season 4 got minimal coverage because it was released during the holidays and all the episodes dropped at once. The week to week release schedule of season 5 allowed the guys to more in depth coverage
    WarpedCore
    It’s a Sin. 

Watched the first two episodes and had to force myself to stop and go to bed. Great writing and acting. Told in a perspective not understood by many of us. This is a great example of how lies and secrets can really kill. 

Is there really only 5 episodes? That’s all I see on HBO. 
    Dee
    It’s a Sin. 

Watched the first two episodes and had to force myself to stop and go to bed. Great writing and acting. Told in a perspective not understood by many of us. This is a great example of how lies and secrets can really kill. 

Is there really only 5 episodes? That’s all I see on HBO. 
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I saw the trailer, but I wasn't sure if it was as good as the trailer made it seem. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:

This is out in the US now so I’m telling you all again - drop everything and watch it. 
  • Dee said:
    Dee said:

This is out in the US now so I’m telling you all again - drop everything and watch it. 
    I ended up binging the show on Valentine's Day... That last episode was devastating -- I can't imagine living in the 80s  as a gay man and have this sweep away countless friends and families away from home. 

The line that really broke me was "It was all so much fun." from Ritchie. What a beautiful message for everyone, to embrace our identities and enjoy it while it lasts.

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don’t know why it’s taken me two years to get around to watching Russian Doll. Actually, I do know - it’s because I don’t like repetition as a plot device in films and books generally. But I finally got to it because I wanted something that was 30 minute episodes to watch before going to sleep, and I loved it. Natasha Lyonne is always arresting to watch - she has tiny foul-mouthed spitfire locked up. The guy who plays Alan was also heartbreakingly good. 

It did make me leery of stairs, elevators and pub basement street doors, though. 
    Teresa from ConcordcalebthrowerEine FraujluzaniaLab_Girl
  • We started watching Derry Girls this weekend, a few episodes in and really enjoying it. Saoirse-Monica Jackson's facial expressions are easily the mvp of the series but there is plenty else to love.  Glad we finally got around to watching it!
    jluzania
  • I tuned in to this AMC+ trial and caught S10 of TWD commercial-free.  My expectations were extremely low, but holy crap they pulled it out of the dumpster.  They dialed back the grainy bullshit look, everybody is mostly competent, and there's some BIG emotions in there.  J&A mentioned it on their latest cast, but characters like Daryl and Carol have been doing this for a decade and their moments together hit hard.  And the actress playing Judith is phenomenal.  She's bringing some of that Spielberg child acting thunder and I never thought that was possible with TWD.  Kang has done the unthinkable and I'd say it's right up there with Darabont's first season.
  • MrX said:
    We started watching Derry Girls this weekend, a few episodes in and really enjoying it. Saoirse-Monica Jackson's facial expressions are easily the mvp of the series but there is plenty else to love.  Glad we finally got around to watching it!
    I appreciate that folks are writing think pieces about her expressions.
    MrX
  • I just watched wandavision up to ep 7 all in one sitting, and now I thinking about starting Vikings after watching the lead guy (travis fimmel) play another lead guy on Raised by Wolves...holy shit what an actor
  • GredalBee said:
    I tuned in to this AMC+ trial and caught S10 of TWD commercial-free.  My expectations were extremely low, but holy crap they pulled it out of the dumpster. 

Oh man that reminds me i gotta watch it again to remind myself whats happened so i know what jim and aron are talking about lol
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited February 22
    I'm late to the party but the wife and I binged The Flight Attendant over the weekend. The first half started out strong but for me limped across the finish line. In my opinion eight episodes was too many. A tight 6 episodes what have served this show just fine. I did think Kaley Cuoco's acting for most of the show was really strong

We are going to dive into Resident Alien next. Hoping its a fun sci-fi show!
    jluzaniaLab_Girl
    Just watched first two episodes of In Her Eyes on Netflix (there are 6 total) and so far I’m in. The pacing is good, the actor called Eve Hewson (Bono’s daughter) is doing a great job, and I find myself saying things like “why’d she do that?” or “Why’d he say that?” - keeping this non-spoilery. 

FYI I was told to not read anything about the movie before watching so guessing there’s a bit of a twist. 
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Got back to the second series of Derry Girls. Man, that show takes a turn for the heartwarming in the last couple of episodes. I highly recommend.
  • Lupin part 2 trailer! Looks a bit more Ransom ("Give be back my son!!") than a heist, hopefully it's still as fun as part one.

Lab_Girl
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I just got Paramount+ so that I could watch the Real World season 1 (New York) reboot.  So far it's only one episode but it's like they never left.  Now I'm binging on season 4 (London).  Loving all the old seasons. :)
    Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Stanley Tucci in Italy. Put it in my veins. 
    Michelle
  • Got Disney+ for The Simpsons and then they added Futurama. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but those original 5 seasons are so unbelievably great. Every line a joke and every joke works.
    HatorianMrXChinaski