What are you binging right now?

Comments

• Community. Just started watching last month. On S2. Easily one of my fav comedies. It strikes me as a good blend of Arrested Development, The Office, and just enough flawed characters (Seinfeld/Always Sunny). 

Started Man in the High Castle, but my attention broke.

Travisken hale
  • Bodyguard on Netflix. Solid thriller. Half mad Robb Stark was good lead. Watched the 6 episodes in two nights so it did keep me interested. 
    mylifeaskirk
  • rkcrawf said:
    Community. Just started watching last month. On S2. Easily one of my fav comedies. It strikes me as a good blend of Arrested Development, The Office, and just enough flawed characters (Seinfeld/Always Sunny). 

One of my favorite themes of Community is how much better the lives of the rest of the group would be if they weren't friends with Jeff, but they don't beat you over the head with it (overtly at least). That show was amazing. One of the best sitcoms of all time. Truly the perfect cast. It's in season 3 so you haven't gotten to it yet, but the season 3 Christmas episode with the glee club is the best Christmas episode in tv history and I will not be swayed otherwise.

We're doing another run through of Superstore. Turns out 3 times through Broad City in about 3 months was the point where a break seemed like a good idea. Sticking with familiar warm blankets though. 
    rkcrawfMattyWeaves
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Greys Anatomy for 5 th time- purely due to boredom. It’s my go to show when nothing on to binge.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    salt fat acid heat!!!! Get on it folks! 
  • edited December 2018
    Just finished a Band of Brothers rewatch, finally getting started on Sharp Objects!
    rkcrawfBroRad33mylifeaskirk
  • Blazing through The Americans and nearing the end of season 3. Really fantastic, but some massive head-scratchers from time to time. It's a shame the BM coverage stopped, I would love to hear a rant about two spies and their handler walking through a public park and literally SHOUTING about planting a bug at FBI headquarters.
    rkcrawf
  • Travis said:
    rkcrawf said:
    Community. Just started watching last month. On S2. Easily one of my fav comedies. It strikes me as a good blend of Arrested Development, The Office, and just enough flawed characters (Seinfeld/Always Sunny). 

One of my favorite themes of Community is how much better the lives of the rest of the group would be if they weren't friends with Jeff, but they don't beat you over the head with it (overtly at least). That show was amazing. One of the best sitcoms of all time. Truly the perfect cast. It's in season 3 so you haven't gotten to it yet, but the season 3 Christmas episode with the glee club is the best Christmas episode in tv history and I will not be swayed otherwise.

We're doing another run through of Superstore. Turns out 3 times through Broad City in about 3 months was the point where a break seemed like a good idea. Sticking with familiar warm blankets though. 
    I keep seeing episodes and saying that is “amazing.” And then I see one so amazing, I forget the previous ones. The latest amazing one that I saw was the Law & Order episode (since I used to mainline that show back in the day). But I recently saw the Glee one...it made me cringe (and laugh) bc my wife got me watching Glee during its early run...the first time they made it to Regionals.
    Travis
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited January 5
    Angie Tribeca. They dropped the new season last weekend on TBS. Its a stupid funny kind of comedy like Naked Gun and I love it. I think it’s one of the funniest shows out there.
    ElisaTravis
  • Binged Shameless S3 to S9 during the holiday break. Amazing show. Hopefully they win some awards this coming Emmys. 
    alexander.klassen
  • Ozark on Netflix. I am seriously loving it and surprised Bald Move isn’t doing it. I’ve been forced to listen to a subpar podcast instead
  • edited January 7
    Just binged "Surviving R. Kelly".

This shit is haunting. 
    gjames80
  • edited January 10
    Inhuman Condition (2016)

It's a web series on YouTube starring Cara Gee (Drummer from The Expanse). It's like a horror version of X-Men or Legion. There's a kind of asylum that tries to rehabilitate mutants and horror movie monsters so they can live in society. Cara Gee's character is like a grown up version of the boy from the "It's a Good Life" episode of The Twilight Zone.

Link:

Edit: So, I finished watching this. I think the 33 webisodes come to about 3 hours in total. It's really annoying to have to sit through the show's intro every few minutes, but the plot is gripping enough to make powering through worth it.

All of the main actors in this are really good. Cara Gee is really good. I had suspected that she was a good actress, despite that not really being apparent in The Expanse. Thomas Olajide steals the show... Wow. How is this guy not famous?
    ElisaKate23Flukes
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    oooh I love Cara Gee, I watched Strange Empire for her.  Thanks for the tip.  I will definitely check it out.
    telephoneofmadnessrkcrawf
  • MichelleMichelle California
    True Detective season 1, and listening to the pod after each episode.  I can't believe it took me this long.
    BroRad33
  • Cara Gee is really interesting. If you had the chance to catch her on The Churn podcast she was a great guest.

Inhuman Condition (2016)

Edit: So, I finished watching this. I think the 33 webisodes come to about 3 hours in total. It's really annoying to have to sit through the show's intro every few minutes, but the plot is gripping enough to make powering through worth it.

The fist time I saw the Skip Intro on Netflix I nearly cried
    telephoneofmadnessrkcrawf
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 10
    UH Cougar basketball . Edit: well fuck
    Chinaski
  • Lodge 49 (2018)

It's a light-hearted series about down-on-their-luck brother and sister twins (played by Kurt Russell's son, Wyatt Russell, and Sonya Cassidy, who played Hester in Humans) whose father has recently died, leaving them with huge debts. The brother joins a secret society, with a vague idea that it will help them, and hilarity ensues.

I'm 4 episodes in, and it's okay. It's kind of like The Big Lebowski meets Six Feet Under meets Cheers meets the Illuminati.
  • The Patriot on Amazon Prime in UK
    Really funny, really good binging 2-3 a night, 2 seasons, 18 eps, below review sums it up...

Patriot: part Homeland-style fable, part stoner spy comedy

This unique drama about an addled Iraq war vet grips and confuses but proves endlessly imaginative... https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/23/patriot-part-homeland-style-fable-part-stoner-spy-comedy

• Yeah, someone mentioned the Patriot in last weeks lunch thread so I started watching it and ended up watching all season 1 in a day. It was pretty fun and funny.
  • Nice. That's a big binge. Season 2 is good. A little more ridiculous, but some great momentsmoments, maybe they're just fresher in the memory but I find myself laughing at them still. I've been on a recommending it to friends trip, let me know what you thought of season 2!
    BroRad33
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I started up Forever last night. I can't say much, but the first season is 8 episodes, 30 minutes each. Knocking out 2-3 of those a night makes for a real nice, quick season. 
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 17
    So much Supernatural. I get that it's not the biggest brain breaker and it can get pretty redundant, but it's a super fun, warm blanket with a lot of charm. Also, given how long they've been on they have a pretty good batting average for good episodes. When they fall into a rut, they don't seem to stay down for too long. Pretty impressive for the like 15 years that they've been on. I'm only slightly ashamed to say that I've seen the whole series to date, basically twice (new season aside which we're current on, but only once), and certain ones we've watched several times. 

@kuman07 Thank you so much for bringing up Tribecca. I totally forgot they put out a new season. Gonna have to get on that.

rkcrawf said:
    Travis said:
    rkcrawf said:

I keep seeing episodes and saying that is “amazing.” And then I see one so amazing, I forget the previous ones. The latest amazing one that I saw was the Law & Order episode (since I used to mainline that show back in the day). But I recently saw the Glee one...it made me cringe (and laugh) bc my wife got me watching Glee during its early run...the first time they made it to Regionals.
    Ha! I've never watched Glee, but I have friends who I hold in the highest respect who will die on Glee hill (at least as of a few seasons in). I wasn't interested enough to press play (maybe I was scared of getting hooked and having to plant a flag in it, these were days before I would do things like publicly proclaim that I totally love Supernatural), but I definitely trust it. I do love how what I assume was Harmon's complete disdain for it played on the screen for laughs though. Goddamn that episode is wonderful. Ha! 
  • Punisher 2 is out and next week we got the Ted Bundy doc. Netflix is hit or miss on original TV content but their crime docs are usually excellent. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am really pumped about that Ted Bundy series. I find him so infuriating in general because he is an entire monster and acts like he is a victim during interviews, the whole while smiling like a smug bastard. But I am excited to watch regardless. 
  • My sister visited me this week and talked me into watching Bodyguard, i was hesitant at first, but man it was good, binged all of it in less than 24 hours. Has a few holes, but was pretty fun.
  • I am way behind the times with this one but I wanted to be able to sit down and watch all of Legion season 2 within a couple day span.  I watched the first 6 episodes yesterday and season 2 is just as much as a mindfuck and delight as season 1.  Extremely well done show that definitely twists the story and your mind.  
    Elisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 28
    My wife and I still haven't watched the back end of the current season yet because we're piling comedies for a while, but I'm really looking forward to it.

The reason for the post though is, in case it interests anybody, Darcy Carden guested for a section of Lovett or Leave It this week and played a "substitute host" in a bit dealing with the teacher's strike. Funny stuff.

EDIT: *Head Slap* I meant to put this comment in The Good Place thread, but I didn't want to read anything in case there were spoilers. Doh!
  • rkcrawf said:

I just re-watched this, too!  The later seasons aren't quite as much of a let-down as I remembered from watching them at the time.

I've binge-watched a few of my favorite shows the last few months, but I didn't always make it through

Deadwood - I immediately wanted to rewatch it
    Buffy - barely pushed through season 6 and then gave up, have never seen 7
    The Wire - stopped after season 3 (because I don't like 4), and now I definitely don't rank this my #1 show anymore :(
    Community - watched it all, but the last three seasons do drag a bit
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 29
    ken hale said:
    rkcrawf said:

I just re-watched this, too!  The later seasons aren't quite as much of a let-down as I remembered from watching them at the time.

I've binge-watched a few of my favorite shows the last few months, but I didn't always make it through

Deadwood - I immediately wanted to rewatch it
    Buffy - barely pushed through season 6 and then gave up, have never seen 7
    The Wire - stopped after season 3 (because I don't like 4), and now I definitely don't rank this my #1 show anymore :(
    Community - watched it all, but the last three seasons do drag a bit
    My wife and I were watching Cougar Town a couple months back (really underrated, super fun show) and the episode where Abed is an extra came on and it totally made my day. I completely forgot that they did both sides of the mini-crossover. So awesome! I actually asked Kevin Biegel about it on Twitter and he was kind enough to respond. He said it was one of his favorite things that they got to do, and when I asked him about the "red tape" of it in a sort of "how did you guys pull that off, the shows were on different networks" he basically said "we all wanted to do it, so sometimes you've got to just do stuff and let it all shake out, so we did." That whole thing between the two shows was so fun.