What are you binging right now?

Comments

• Despite Community's apparent endorsement of it, I still haven't brought myself to watch it, but your endorsement makes me reconsider.  How would you describe the humor?

Another funny crossover between the shows in that scene is the subway product placement, lol.  That's actually a whole running plotline in Community.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 30
    ken hale said:
    Despite Community's apparent endorsement of it, I still haven't brought myself to watch it, but your endorsement makes me reconsider.  How would you describe the humor?

Another funny crossover between the shows in that scene is the subway product placement, lol.  That's actually a whole running plotline in Community.
    If you do, I hope you like it. I think it's a really fun show. I guess to try to pin it down as far as the humor goes, it was made by the same people who made Scrubs (they even crossed it over in a way by making Ted the lawyer a character who pops up a couple of times in later seasons). I think it's better than Scrubs (though I do leave some room for recency bias, Scrubs was a very good show). It's basically that type of a deal, kind of a hybrid between that and Friends. It's about this group of friends who hang out and drink wine all the time and snark at each other, everyone is at least mildly insane. Personally I have a soft spot for feel good shows centered around likable people just kind of being awesome friends so it's right up my alley.

I will say, it comes out of the gates really hit and miss. Somewhere in the middle of season 1 they start hitting a nice stride, and there are good ones at the beginning, but it seems like they realized about half way through season 1 that they didn't really want to make the show they were making so they shed it and pivoted. There is a running joke in the title cards starting, I think, in season 2 where they are constantly joking about how much they hate the name.

Yeah, I thought the Subway of it all was a great little wink to Community in addition. That was great.
    ken hale
  • BroRad33 said:
    My sister visited me this week and talked me into watching Bodyguard, i was hesitant at first, but man it was good, binged all of it in less than 24 hours. Has a few holes, but was pretty fun.

I enjoyed it too but what I enjoyed more was finding out there were a lot of Americans who thought it was an incest story because he pronounced ma'am as mum throughout the season.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Community is my favorite comedy of all time. It’s my happy place show hat I love to put on and just relax. The later seasons really aren’t bad at all. And it has a really awesome series finale that always makes me tear up.
    TravisMurderbearken hale
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    ken hale said:
    Despite Community's apparent endorsement of it, I still haven't brought myself to watch it, but your endorsement makes me reconsider.  How would you describe the humor?

Do it! Okay, the first half dozen episodes are kinda rough, but then they ditch the “cougar” premise and it just turns into a “Friends but in their 40s” show. It’s funny and a super easy watch. 
    TravisMurderbearken hale
  • Kingdom. If TWD was half as good as this it’s still a ratings powerhouse...
    ElisaTravis
  • It’s effing freezing out, my 40’, 70° downward sloping driveway is clear of snow but a sheet of ice, so....the Along With the Gods movies. 
  • edited January 30
    Hatorian said:
    Kingdom. If TWD was half as good as this it’s still a ratings powerhouse...
    You're talking about Kingdom on Netflix correct???  I have a definite interest in it but haven't heard anybody else talk about it at all.  I'm assuming it's pretty good by your post?

Edit: nevermind, saw the thread on this show further down the forum board. 
    Hatorian
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Dee said:
    ken hale said:

Do it! Okay, the first half dozen episodes are kinda rough, but then they ditch the “cougar” premise and it just turns into a “Friends but in their 40s” show. It’s funny and a super easy watch. 
    Yeah, what it stars out as is not what the show becomes. Imagine a typical sitcom of friends not bound by much of what other sitcoms are bound by. It’s zany, weird, has in jokes, and some serious heart. I can’t think of many times where I wasn’t in the mood for “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons”, “Remedial Chaos Theory”, or “Modern Warfare.” It’s really amazing we got it as long as we did considering how it floundered ratings-wise. 
    BroRad33Travis
  • Watched the first two episodes of Kingdom on Netflix today - good so far.
    ElisaTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    ken hale said:

Yeah, what it stars out as is not what the show becomes. Imagine a typical sitcom of friends not bound by much of what other sitcoms are bound by. It’s zany, weird, has in jokes, and some serious heart. I can’t think of many times where I wasn’t in the mood for “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons”, “Remedial Chaos Theory”, or “Modern Warfare.” It’s really amazing we got it as long as we did considering how it floundered ratings-wise. 
    I still yell “Hey, it’s Dime Eyes!” every time Josh Hopkins shows up in something (like True Detective a few weeks ago). 
    Travis
  • The Orville Season 1

LA By Night 

• I'm super late to the party, but I've been cycling through the Buffyverse for the last month or so.  I'm constantly surprised by how good it is and how far they take concepts.  It was never really on my radar, but I'm hooked now and I want to give Angel a shot afterwards too.
    ShumElisaSchlupp
  • The Patriot from Amazon.  My favorite thing since The Leftovers. Very funny, dark, interesting with great characters. Would love to hear a podcast covering this one. If you like the first episode it just gets better. 

Killing Eve also pretty good. 
    ElisaBroRad33
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 13
    not really a binge as its just an 1hour 30min documentary but "Abducted in Plain Sight" was pretty crazy. lots of holy shit moments and the cool thing about this Netlfix crime doc is you know the ending pretty much in the first minutes but its the story thats just bonkers...
  • Umbrella Academy on Netflix. I am liking it, but I feel like it’s a show you can’t examine too closely. There are conceits that don’t always track with logic or physics, but it’s entertaining enough that I can forgive it. It’s held my interest longer than most super hero TV has, even if it can vacillate between "by the numbers" and "over the top." 6 episodes in...
  • rkcrawf said:
    Umbrella Academy on Netflix. I am liking it, but I feel like it’s a show you can’t examine too closely. There are conceits that don’t always track with logic or physics, but it’s entertaining enough that I can forgive it. It’s held my interest longer than most super hero TV has, even if it can vacillate between "by the numbers" and "over the top." 6 episodes in...
    I feel the same, leaning more toward over the top. It's becoming something I "might as well" finish. 
    podcartfan
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    New daily binges -

Mars S1 on Netflix.  It is a bit of a slow burn but tries to be very realistic with tons of hard science, and I heard S2 was really good. 

12 Monkeys on Hulu.  Time Travel is normally not my cup of tea, but I am digging this show.  I love watching the webisodes and Inside the Episode videos still up on Syfy.  It mixes the apocalyptic with time travel and there's a lot of science and casualty loops lol.  It is based on the Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt movie.

One Day at a Time S3 on Netflix.  Just started and loving this feel good show.

Travellers S1 on Netflix. Yes, another time travel show with an interesting premise.  Basically they come from the future to stop the apocalypse and inhabit people at the time of death.  It is a shame that Netflix just cancelled it after 3 seasons, but I am enjoying this too.  

Black Earth Rising on Netflix.  Recommended by Bald Move Prep TV on the BM youtube.  It's a little over the top but I am enjoying the deep dive into the Rwandan genocide and how it still affects the lead who is a survivor, and now an international lawyer in training.  Solid cast.

Kingdom on Netflix. Zombie period piece in the Joseon (Korean) empire times.  This is so amazing and so much better than the Walking Dead.  Bae Doona from Sense 8 stars.  Love this show!!!

• rkcrawf said:
    Umbrella Academy on Netflix. I am liking it, but I feel like it’s a show you can’t examine too closely. There are conceits that don’t always track with logic or physics, but it’s entertaining enough that I can forgive it. It’s held my interest longer than most super hero TV has, even if it can vacillate between "by the numbers" and "over the top." 6 episodes in...

I like it enough to finish it but it does have a few moments of my biggest pet peeve with writers: people not saying something for "reasons" to push along the plot. If you have to rely on the viewer suspending disbelief all the time then you aren't a good writer. The audience should suspend disbelief on things like "there are people with super powers" not characters withholding vital information or acting completely out of character.
    rkcrawf
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I just binge watched the final season of Catastrophe and I am so stressed by the ending. :-/ 
    Travis
  • I'm plowing through madmen,  currently I am in season five. It's great.
    hgavinyl
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Big Mouth. I had heard it was funny and honestly, after the first two I was kind of meh on it. But then something happened and everything just clicked. Now I really really love this show. It's hilarious!
    UnderwoodTravis
  • I'm tripping out on how active this thread is. I didn't realize Bing was so popular. Figured everyone pretty much just used Google.

(sorry, that incredibly dumb joke pops into my head every time I see this thread, and I don't think it was ever going to stop until I just threw it out into the universe. Kind of like how sometimes you can't get a song out of your head until you just listen to it) As you were.
    Reni
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 21
    Dee said:
    Dee said:
    ken hale said:

I still yell “Hey, it’s Dime Eyes!” every time Josh Hopkins shows up in something (like True Detective a few weeks ago). 
    I totally still do that too. Then "Confident in My Sexuality" starts playing in my head about 30% of the time.

In another Community/Cougar Town crossover, I someday hope to pitch Dime Eyes and Tiny Nipples, a buddy show starring Josh Hopkins and the dude who played Vaughn on Community.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Justified

I was kinda put off watching an older show with so many episodes to watch. I find that I would rather have shorter seasons of shows nowadays. It’s seems weird but I don’t have the patience anymore. Well I’m in about 5 episodes and I’m gonna try, it has held my interest a lot. 

My my second choice was The Good Wife, does anyone recommend that?
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 21
    kingbee67 said:
    Justified

I was kinda put off watching an older show with so many episodes to watch. I find that I would rather have shorter seasons of shows nowadays. It’s seems weird but I don’t have the patience anymore. Well I’m in about 5 episodes and I’m gonna try, it has held my interest a lot. 

My my second choice was The Good Wife, does anyone recommend that?
    Oh man. I wish I could watch season 2 for the first time again. Justified is one of my all time favorites. It gets a little turbulent in Season 5, but it rebounds nicely for the final season.

Never did The Good Wife, but I hear really good things. We watched the first couple and liked them well enough, seemed like a show worth watching, but there is just too much tv and it didn't stick.
    kingbee67
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Totally agree, it really takes a lot for me to start a series that has a ton of episodes to watch.  I try to stay from those shows for the most part, which is sad.
    kingbee67
  • @CapeGabe and @Kate23 - I just finished Umbrella Academy last night. Yeah, the writing feels amateurish at times, but I still think it's a solid show. I'm still onboard for S2. 

Currently rewatching Counterpart again from S1. I had previously started S2 when it came out, but stopped bc I couldn't remember who the minor players were. So now that S2 has finished airing, I will go all the way through. I am sorry that it got cancelled. Hoping Netflix or Amazon will pick it up. It's a good show, but I feel like it is a binge show. With so many sub-plots and a lack of star-power, I think it is better as a binge. The upside: I'm def picking up more on the S1 stuff the second time around.
    ElisaKate23
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 27
    Finally got into Daredevil Season 3 and it's been fantastic. We're roughly 2/3s through and keep getting to bed late because we're in that "oh, come on, just 1 more will be fine" spot. Can't wait to see how it all comes together. Very cool. It's making me want to go back to the start and run through it again.

EDIT: Finished Daredevil last night. Super bummed that it's over. They found it again, great season. It sucks that we won't get more of this. 
    Started Russian Doll when we finished that and it's totally good. We got super sucked in and rattled off 5 of them. Can't wait to see how it progressed. Really fun and intriguing show. 
    ken hale
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Amazon Singapore has blocked the Kal Penn documentary even though it’s THE ONLY original not able to be watched. I heard Aron mention singapore in the podcast. Does the show expose the Singapore government and or wealthy influential people here? If so that’s fucked they are blocking it...censorship.