Heil Honey I'm Home (Its what you think it is)

edited January 11 in Other TV
Haven't posted in a while but figured you would all enjoy this short lived sitcom about Hitler and Eva Braun. Enjoy.

ChiefPizza

Comments

• What year was this? This is amazing and edgy in a wonderful way, and I can't believe it ever got made lol. Definitely couldn't do it now. 
  • Thanks @DancesWithWookies I'm obsessed now. 

From Wikipedia: 

'Heil Honey I'm Home! is a British sitcom, written by Geoff Atkinson and produced in 1990, that was cancelled after one episode. It centres on fictionalised versions of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun, who live next door to a Jewish couple, Arny and Rosa Goldenstein.[3] The show spoofs elements of mid-20th century American sitcoms and is driven by Hitler's inability to get along with his neighbours. It caused controversy when broadcast and has been called "perhaps the world's most tasteless situation comedy".'

It doesn't take a genius to see why it was cancelled, but I love the audacity and the subversiveness of it. It's like the punk rock or the genderfuck of sitcoms. I'd rather watch this than the Big Bang Theory. Especially in the era of Trump it would awesome if HBO tried to revive it. 
  • You all should watch Man in the High Castle.  It has SS Leave it to Beaver.  
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    This reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife over Christmas. We were in the store and overheard one buddy saying to another he was being a "nazi" because he was being meticulous about a gift he was buying. And we got to talking about the amount of time that has to pass before a human tragedy turns into the butt of jokes. In my life I've heard people make jokes about WWII, the Titanic, and the assassination of Lincoln amount others. You would have never heard someone joke about someone "sinking like the Titanic" in say 1920 but yet it seems fairly nonchalant today. I know there isn't an exact time frame per se but still interesting to think about. Like how long will it be before 9/11 jokes are put into what ever the new version of Family Guy is in the future and people aren't horrified. 
  • I thought in the South Park episode about Jared Has Aides episode that they stated it took aids 22.3 years to be funny.  So to me, that's the time frame in theory.  Although, obviously, everyone has their own sensitivity level and can feel differently (especially about very tragic/dark events in history such as the holocaust).

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina

I thought in the South Park episode about Jared Has Aides episode that they stated it took aids 22.3 years to be funny.  So to me, that's the time frame in theory.  Although, obviously, everyone has their own sensitivity level and can feel differently (especially about very tragic/dark events in history such as the holocaust).

I guess its all relative. Im not easy to offend so typically stuff like that doesn't bother me (although I do think too much crosses the line into trying to be edgy for the sake of it). What I find more interesting is the more common place the tragic events the quicker people are more apt to turn a tragic event  into a light-hearted topic. I'm one of those people that finds this sort of think absolutely fascinating. 
  • I thought in the South Park episode about Jared Has Aides episode that they stated it took aids 22.3 years to be funny.  So to me, that's the time frame in theory.  Although, obviously, everyone has their own sensitivity level and can feel differently (especially about very tragic/dark events in history such as the holocaust).

I guess its all relative. Im not easy to offend so typically stuff like that doesn't bother me (although I do think too much crosses the line into trying to be edgy for the sake of it). What I find more interesting is the more common place the tragic events the quicker people are more apt to turn a tragic event  into a light-hearted topic. I'm one of those people that finds this sort of think absolutely fascinating. 
    I'm just laughing in shock that this show was actually ever made and that the cast had a bunch of jewish people in it.  I know comedy is always an interesting topic about what crosses the line and what doesn't. 
  • Like how long will it be before 9/11 jokes are put into what ever the new version of Family Guy is in the future and people aren't horrified. 

Apparently the time is already here - Family Guy started making 9/11 jokes a few years ago.
  • Like how long will it be before 9/11 jokes are put into what ever the new version of Family Guy is in the future and people aren't horrified. 

Apparently the time is already here - Family Guy started making 9/11 jokes a few years ago.
    I'm of the opinion that you can make jokes about any topic, as long as its written well
    ChiefPizza
    "because everything would be what it isn't"
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited January 12
    Unfortunately, Nazism lives on today in white supremacist ideology and activities. I wince whenever someone says, "grammar nazi." Why not say "grammarian," "pedant," -- or "grammar police," if you must.  "Nazi" is a word that connotes something horrific and hateful and is not a word that should be normalized or used flippantly, imo, but perhaps I'm just sensitive.
    Deephoenyx1023telephoneofmadness
    Peter, is your social worker in that horse?
  • Unfortunately, Nazism lives on today in white supremacist ideology and activities. I wince whenever someone says, "grammar nazi." Why not say "grammarian," "pedant," -- or "grammar police," if you must.  "Nazi" is a word that connotes something horrific and hateful and is not a word that should be normalized or used flippantly, imo, but perhaps I'm just sensitive.

The casual use of "Nazi" irritates me, too. This important part of history has become a meme.
    pavlovsbell