[OFFICIAL] Episode 509 - "What Happened and What's Going On"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Greg Nicotero
Writer: Scott M. Gimple

It's the dream team directing and writing. You guys think it's going to be good? No way can it be as good as 501, right?

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Arms crossed, eyes narrowed right up til the end of the season. Show of hands--who is only watching to listen to the podcast?
  • Right there with you @FrakkinToaster - only watching to listen to the cast. once a season, they knock it out of the park. but on the whole, this show does very little for me.
  • I binged watched the entire show in about a month. Listened to about %75 of the pod's. It's going to be rough to watch with commercials.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Skeptical. But, I've said it before and will say it again: the worst TWD is better than 90% of everything out there. So I'm sticking with it. Also, holding out hope for a zombaby or maybe a zomtoddler.
    ...opening two minutes teaser was for real.
  • Yea, still confusing
    Glenn picking up that bat was foreshadowing at its best folks... Calling it. Glenn dies this half season.
    Whoa shit...
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Nice awareness Tyreese. This is dumb
  • BransformerBransformer North Carolina
    What!! Not Tyreese!
  • DIE! DIE! DIE! His emotions always get him, or others, in trouble.
  • Yes!!!! Kill them all
    baseball cap guy????? hahahah wtf
  • They are really going out of the way to bring back pointless characters.
    those dream sequence/hallucination whatever the fuck those things were with the girls, Gov, Deangelo and baseball hat guy were the definition of Ham Fisted
  • Glad they didn't drag out the trip to Richmond. Hope they hit the road quickly.
    So tyrese is gonna end up one handed... Make him even more useless.
  • edited February 2015
    Just when I thought we weren't going to have to hear Beth sing again...
  • BransformerBransformer North Carolina
    I don't knowni liked that episode
  • I'm sorry if this has been mentioned on the podcast before or was explained somewhere else but can someone tell me why Noah left his group to begin with? I mean he left his mom and twin brothers (yes in this episode he says he has multiple twin brothers). I'd also like to make another point regarding Rick and his groups search for a new place to call home. Why doesn't the group just create a new place to live? That community they go to in the beginning looked deserted and there was only like 4-5 walkers in the whole damn town! The place even has multiple homes and walls!
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @BRONCOTRUCK11 - I think Noah and his father went to fetch Noah's uncle when they encountered the Grady cops.

Which community are you referring to? Noah's? They would have stayed, but there is something fishy going on there, and it's not because of walkers. Ideally, they want to find an established community that is safe and has resources, if possible.
  • God I hate that gum chewing piece of shit that tried to kill Judith. This ep gets an 8.5 instead of a 9 because I had to look at his stupid face one more time. I also started watching the wire over the break from last season and it's weird to see D'angelo Barksdale in this show. Before he was only Bob to me.

God I hate that gum chewing piece of shit that tried to kill Judith. This ep gets an 8.5 instead of a 9 because I had to look at his stupid face one more time.

I really like the actor, Chris Coy, though. He was in David Simon's 'Treme.' I thought he was great as Martin in TWD.

• I am being biased only because we seen the episode 501-508, however, I thought this episode was much better than 501. I say that only because they took what they had in 501 and wasted it. Once again so much promise to work off of going forward. Now, it's a matter of waiting on them to fuck up the rest of the season. lol. Good old TWD.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2015
    I thought this was a pretty good TWD episode. ~7.5 I'd say.

It had its flaws and it was no 501, but I liked that they tried something here. I thought it was a nice send off for Tyrese, who may not have always been the most "productive" character, but I thought he was interesting. I was talking to my wife about how frustrated I have become with Glenn and Maggie over the last season and a half and what it really comes down to is that they are evolving those two characters into the drab space/point of view that has become incredibly over-represented in the show. Say what you will about Tyrese, but at least he brought forth a perspective that varies from the rest of the group. He was a good voice in the group who created a discussion about how things should be done. I suppose they will be evolving Michonne and probably Daryl to attempt to fill that sort of gap, but I have to say that even though Tyrese could be frustrating at times at least he was apart from the majority of people who seem to be cut a little too much from the same cloth. This is why as much as I hate to say it because I liked him so much early on, but I hope that Glenn goes next (or they do some SERIOUS character rehab on him) because now he's just occupying character space that is really crowded with his point of view, only he mostly just mopes around and doesn't really bring much to the table. He's basically boring "emo Rick." I imagine that when Glenn is existing off screen, he basically just sighs a lot and kicks pebbles around. I also don't put this on Steven Yuen, I completely blame the writers for this.

Anyways, the episode kept me engaged and interested. I think it is kind of BS that a zombie would get the drop on Ty like that, but it didn't bug me too much (I'm pretty good at belief suspension) and I actually kind of liked the hallucinations. It reminded me of some of the things of that nature that the X-Files did a couple of times (most notably in the Season 3 premier "The Blessing Way" part 2 of a really good 3 parter btw). A little hokey? Sure, but I can dig "a little hokey" in an episode of this kind. I liked witnessing his inner turmoil. I thought it was good. I get why the majority of people were really frustrated, but I liked it. I like that they are on the move and I like the idea of seeing what's up in Washington, and I like that we got a different sort of episode. It wasn't the best or anything, but I would definitely say "above average." A strong 7.5 to 8.
  • 509 in the subject line guys.

At first I didn't like the episode. I thought about why and realized, it was out of place for me. As episode 510, I would have loved it. But, I wanted the emotional payoff from Beth's death that I waited for 2 months to see. Just like we waited 3 weeks to see Daryl come out of the woods and they didn't give us that scene. it feels like they're jerking us around. It's frustrating as hell. Having said that, what we did see was really good stuff. The only thing they missed on, with the returning characters was no Karen. She was supposed to be Tyreese's beloved and she doesn't tell him it's alright? Maybe the actress wouldn't come back, or maybe it's a bunch of guys writing and they don't think of that stuff. As 510, I'd give the episode a 9.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I agree with @Spookycat4 but I would not give it as high a rating, just average, a 5 or 6. I'm sorry but I really didn't feel any remorse over Tyrese's death. I understand what they were trying to do with Tyrese's stream of consciousness but it didn't do anything for me. I felt worse about Bob's demise.

Movin on, I too am tired of emo/goth Glenn and now it seems like Michonne is tired of running and wants a place to stay hmmm ok.

The interesting bits...what sadists have demolished Noah's village and chopped up those zombies. Still waiting for the fallout from Beth's death and now we have to lump it up with Tyrese's - sigh.

Oh well I really hope we get to see the whole crew next week because Carol and Daryl make the show for me.
    edited February 2015

The only thing they missed on, with the returning characters was no Karen. She was supposed to be Tyreese's beloved and she doesn't tell him it's alright? Maybe the actress wouldn't come back, or maybe it's a bunch of guys writing and they don't think of that stuff.

There could be a professional reason why Karen wasn't there (Melissa Ponzio is on another show and perhaps was unavailable to film), or maybe the reason Karen wasn't there was that she didn't fit with what the dead characters represented to Tyreese. Tyreese is struggling with the choices he's made, and the guilt he feels over aligning with The Governor and not killing Martin, and the ripple effects those choices may have had on Lizzie, Mika, Beth and Bob. The latter are also people who, like Tyreese, were not made for this world. Tyreese doesn't harbor guilt over Karen. She just happened to contract that swine flu or whatever it was and got murdered as a result. I don't know; just a thought.
  • I'm listening to the instant cast now and I TOTALLY wish Tyrese had tried cutting his own arm off as the climax to that situation. Can you imagine? That would have been an amazing direction to go. If it didn't work, it would have made the whole thing more tragic, if it did work it would have made for an amazing launching point for that character. Damn, I really kind of wish they had done that.