Horizon Zero Dawn

Not a huge gamer per se, but love the culture and hearing about them. With that said, i just saw a trailor for Horizon Zero Dawn-- the premise being 1000 years from now when Machines have taken over the Earth and the last humans struggles to survive. Looks pretty dope. Anyone have any opinions on this title?

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Oh yes! I think it looks awesome! I think I first learned about it at E3 last year? Whenever the first trailer dropped though, I was on board. Robot dinosaurs? Fuck. Yes.

Hopefully Guerrilla Games is up to the task. Never been a big KillZone fan but those games seem alright I guess. I believe this is their first foray into this type of game. It seems like they are nailing a lot of the details though.
  • Yea seems like a The Last of Us but with robot dinosaurs and animal herds lol
  • It looks very promising.  I was thinking of preordering it (the collector's edition) but I think I'll wait awhile.  I honestly need to see more before devoting $48-$96 to this game.  I'll check out more videos because I really have not seen enough to form an opinion outside of the hype everyone is giving it.  It feels like the hype that No Man's Sky got (from several podcasts I listen to); it sounded like it promised too much and sounded boring.  It's too early to say the same with HZD, but I want to properly filter the info I get for it because I've done enough capricious spending the last few months on games with little time to play that.
    "I muffle motherfuckers up like Meineke"  Ghostface Killah (Clipse of Doom)
    "I don't give a fuck about your war or your President"  Snake Plissken (Escape from New York)

• edited January 31
    Here's some commentary on gameplay footage. 

It looks pretty interesting, but I think I'll wait a bit to pick it up. I'm almost done with Dragon Age: Inquisition, and right before that I beat Shadow of Mordor, so I have a bit of open world, action-RPG fatigue.

I'm sure it will do well, and the game looks beautiful.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am very excited for this one. But my backlog of games just can't justify me spending more on games that I know I won't get around to playing. Its the same story with RE7. I am dying to jump into that one, but there are so many other games that I need to finish first. 
    mileswarrin
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Anybody playing this? I'm about five hours in and it's a very very very very very good video game. I Redbox'd it today and I'm thinking I should just go ahead and take it back and purchase it for reals. I'm in love with it.
  • Shum Utah
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying it! The story seems compelling so far, combat is fun, and the game looks amazing. It will be a worthy distraction while I wait for Mass Effect Andromeda.
    Murderbear
  • I Redboxed it and played for about 10 hours. I loved it and am definitely gonna platinum this game. I had to return it because I have a lot of things coming up this week, but once that passes I'm gonna pick this game up first thing. Great graphics and gameplay. An interesting story and world. This game has it all.

Also, I really appreciated how it only needed a ~200MB patch. I came home from Redbox and put the game in my PS4, expected to wait at least 2 hours to get to play, but I was pleasantly surprised when I was booting the game up after only a few minutes! Just like the good ole days! Other game devs/publishers should take note.
    Murderbear
  • edited March 19
    Update after beating the game (and getting the platinum), no spoilers:

This game is awesome. I was worried going in that I would burn out because I'm a bit fatigued on open world games, but Horizon's world is so interesting and beautiful and its content is so addicting that I blazed right through this game. 

The story (or at least one of them) is great. There are two main story threads throughout the game. The modern one, which is kinda just a bland story about the current tribes/ cultures roaming the earth, and the historical one, which is a mystery of what happened to  the technologically advanced humans in the past. This mystery gets completely answered.

Horizon has the typical "lore" collectibles, which I usually don't care for. I enjoyed them in Horizon, though, because they all pertain to the historical mystery. It's not like Elder Scrolls where the lore pertains to different cultures, different myths, etc. Every piece of lore is cohesive in Horizon.

The gameplay, the machine design/ diversity, the environments, and the learning curve are all great. This is just an all-around polished game. Nothing about it feels rushed. It seems like the developers had all the time they needed to realize their vision. I highly recommend it. And it has a platinum that you doesn't make you grind, which is always nice.
  • I love this game. But where the hell do I get animal skins and bones?
  • edited March 19
    iMatty94 said:

I love this game. But where the hell do I get animal skins and bones?

Kill animals. Skins and bones are uncommon and rare drops from animals, you don't get them every time.

I think you can also get them out of scavenger boxes that you can buy from the box merchant in Meridian.
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    I don't think I have loved a game as much as this, at least since playing The Last of Us. I think my favorite part of Last of Us is when Ellie runs around with her bow hunting the bad guys at the ski lodge. Horizon is essentially 50 hours of that scene, only to replace bad guys with fucking robot dinosaurs!! I AM IN LOVE!!! The graphics in this game are amazing, the landscapes are beautiful and majestic, the story is compelling enough to at least keep you engaged. Other than the enormous head on young Aloy, this game has it all!! I'm about 10 hours into the story and I can't wait to get home and play it!!
    Murderbear
  • I love this game, just platinumed it yesterday!

• iMatty94 said:

I love this game. But where the hell do I get animal skins and bones?

I just can't find any goose.......
  • Shum said:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it! The story seems compelling so far, combat is fun, and the game looks amazing. It will be a worthy distraction while I wait for Mass Effect Andromeda.

Oh my.... Mass Effect Andromeda.....tricky one...