Denis Villeneuve to direct "Dune" reboot

"It has been rumored for a while that Legendary Pictures had been courting Sicario and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve for their upcoming Dune reboot. Now in under 140 characters, Brian Herbert (son of Dune author Frank Herbert) has confirmed that the contracts have all been signed, and Villeneuve will be directing."

Comments

• You have to be kidding...
  • Wow. Just read the article. I hope it happens. Villeneuve is a great director. We shall have to wait and see.

ElisaMelonusk
  • Oh man this could be good news. I like the batshit 80's Lynch version, but have always wanted a "good" Dune movie (the miniseries was ok).

Next question - casting? Gonna have to think on that...

Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Oh man, I wonder if the public's appetite for overwrought space opera has increased since Lynch took a poke.  I think with LotR and Hobbit, they've proved they can keep people's butts in seats for the 3 hours they'd need to do the story justice.
    Elisa
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    Get the fuck out of here!
    It'll never work.
    Nothing by Villeneuve has really been a hit for me.
    But if he got this to work I'd be in awe.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited February 2017
    Mind you, I loved Sicario and have heard great things about Arrival, though I haven't seen it yet. However, the movie-industrial complex is riding Villeneuve's dick so hard right now it wouldn't surprise me at all if he pulled a Shyamalan and ended up sucking after his first two or three films. What a twist that would be!
    GredalBeeA_Ron_HubbardMelonusk
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm still blue balled by that Jodorowsky documentary.  Ahhh what could have been...

webswingerbizmarkiefaderFrakkin T
  • @Frakkin T The thing is, Villeneuve's track record is so high I don't think he'll pull a Shyamalan. Incendies, Sicario, Prisoners, Arrival... That's pretty strong. Let's wait and see for the next Blade Runner...
    GredalBee
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @Melonusk You're probably right. There's just something annoying to me about how so many critics (whom I like and respect) have already anointed this guy the next Scorsese. I would definitely be excited to see his Dune, though. I'd like to see some of Lynch's crazy style and some of the fidelity to the novels that we got from the Sci-Fi miniseries. 
    ceburaskaMelonusk
  • Dragging this thread up to talk casting. Previously announced was Timothée Chalamet playing Paul, Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen, Dave Bautista as Glossu. And now Oscar Isaac is in talks to play Duke Leto. Needless to say I'm still pretty hyped for this!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-isaac-dune-reboot-1203109822/

SchluppdarwinfeeshyNoel
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I love me some Dune. I devoured all the available books in my teens and early adulthood - even the Brian-written ones. THIS IS VERY EXCITING.
  • I think it should be a tv series with a real huge budget, the first book alone could be a movie triology. Great to see some real talent handling my favourite sci-fi book ever.

• MrX said:
    Dragging this thread up to talk casting. Previously announced was Timothée Chalamet playing Paul, Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica, Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen, Dave Bautista as Glossu. And now Oscar Isaac is in talks to play Duke Leto. Needless to say I'm still pretty hyped for this!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/oscar-isaac-dune-reboot-1203109822/

Boy, that was confusing! I was about to start arguing with people who doubted Villenueve, like, "did you SEE Blade Runner 2049?" and then I realized those comments were from early 2017.  I don't know anything about Dune, but I'm definitely looking forward to this project.  Now I just don't know if I should watch the original before it comes out or go in with a fresh perspective?
  • @Ken hale
    If you don't plan to read at least the first book I suggest not to watch anything prior. Nothing so far came even close to the source material in my opinion.
  • I am encouraged about the directors seemingly love for the books and desire to be faithful to them and the casting seems great but I don't see how the material can be squeezed into a movie. Hell, there had already been a miniseries and they glossed over stuff. It should be a show with each book being a season or two depending on season length. In the end it is probably what people have been saying since it is written, it is a great book but unfilmable.
    Schlupp
  • It's going to be really interesting how they visualize things like simulflow or the mental computing of mentats and navigators or oracles going through spice trances. There are tons of complex inner monologues in what seems to be simple conversations I really hope they capture the multi layered complexity of at least some of it.
    Villeneuve is one of the few guys I imagine could do that. I don't see him doing it in one movie even for just the first book though.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited February 3
    Personally I would leave it at the first book.  I read Dune Messiah and that is so unbelievably interiorly mind personal and so heavy with predestination and timelines that I don't see how you could really film it.
  • CGI sandworms, GET HYPE (the special effects in the Lynch movie are so bad).
  • edited February 5
    Kyle MacLachlan and David Lynch cameo?  Please please...please
    Flukes