US General Politics Discussion Thread

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited February 2 in General
Because Presidential election 2016 as a title seems a little outdated at this point. Also I'm pedantic.

Comments

• Although feel free to continue to use the other thread if you prefer.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    We're all gonna die.
    jomiha
    This pretty much sums it up for me.
    jomihaakritenbrinkDStar
  • jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    Raging dumpster fire. I don't have anything poignant or hopeful to add, unfortunately. 

akritenbrink
    I made a pussy hat but yet this shit is still ongoing.
    From the world of yarn...
    (I did not make this-Link is to pattern)

TaraC73jomihaweeniegirlGajt530
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited February 3
    More alternate facts

jomiha
  • Despite how concerning all this is, one of my few comforts that this isn't going to turn into some racist fascist takeover is just how bumblefuck buffoonish they all are, like maybe they'll somehow stumble into ulimited power but if the current level of outrage and protest keeps up it seems more and more likely the trump and his cohorts will just keep fucking up.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality where someone elected by the constitution we all live under is a fascist totalitarian and the people kidnappong, terrorizing, assaulting, doxing, people based on their skin color or political affiliation are the "good guys".
    Gajt530
  • edited February 3
    Who has been "kidnapped, terrorized, assaulted or doxed?" More importantly, who has called people who kidnap, terrorize or assault the good guys?

Traveler
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois

Who has been "kidnapped, terrorized, assaulted or doxed?" More importantly, who has called people who kidnap, terrorize or assault the good guys?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/index.html

Brawn
  • I challenge you to find one credible and/or respected individual calling the kidnappers in Chicago the good guys or their acts justified.
    ColdRolled7
  • If that is what you are going to go with as your example of people being called good guys, I'm not going to waste my time here.
    Traveler
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    A Milo supporter literally shot a protester at his Seattle event but sure shed some tears for the nazis people are being rude to and a burning trash can. Milo is a celebrity troll who's used those speaking events to out individual trans kids to provoke harassment and was planning on using Berkeley to call out specific undocumented kids. The bitching and moaning from the right about how they're the real victims now is mind numbing.

If you care so much about the constitution you might want to check on what your guy has done to it the last 2 weeks and the idea that people consider those Chicago teens "the good guys" is fucking stupid.
    tom_gAlkaid13joepinetreehisdudeness915DeeColdRolled7jomiha
  • A Milo supporter literally shot a protester at his Seattle event but sure shed some tears for the nazis people are being rude to and a burning trash can. Milo is a celebrity troll who's used those speaking events to out individual trans kids to provoke harassment and was planning on using Berkeley to call out specific undocumented kids. The bitching and moaning from the right about how they're the real victims now is mind numbing.

If you care so much about the constitution you might want to check on what your guy has done to it the last 2 weeks and the idea that people consider those Chicago teens "the good guys" is fucking stupid.

Did you just call that post 'fucking stupid'??  I wish I could click 'like' twice.
    ColdRolled7
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited February 3
    I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality where the chief counselor to the president has looked favorably upon such "great" leaders as Darth Vader and Satan.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/18/politics/steve-bannon-donald-trump-hollywood-reporter-interview/index.html?client=safari
    ColdRolled7weeniegirl
  • I think his point was that the Chicago teens thought they were the people "doing good". The same with the Berkeley protesters. It's still a very near-sighted view and one I don't agree with.

I work for the university where the protester was shot at the Milo event, although I was not there at the time (it happened in the evening). We get texts when emergencies happen and we were getting text alerts all night as they searched for the shooter (who eventually turned himself in). The details weren't clear at first and it was pretty scary to think about students being in danger in that way. But what was telling was that after taking a brief break, Milo reportedly took the podium again and said something like "we won't let them win" as if he was the victim, and his fans were the victims. I wasn't surprised to find out the shooter was one of his fans. Let's be clear who the victims are here. It's the person with a bullet in him, not the person whose feelings are hurt because his opinions are unpopular.
    adobo1148
  • Personal opinion. I think a politics thread is a very bad idea. And this being an entertainment site don't really see the connection. Bald move community has been very courteous to everyone's beliefs so far but this has potential to turn into a shit storm very quickly.
    GredalBeejomihaPavkey88Traveler
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hatorian said:

Personal opinion. I think a politics thread is a very bad idea. And this being an entertainment site don't really see the connection. Bald move community has been very courteous to everyone's beliefs so far but this has potential to turn into a shit storm very quickly.

Generally I would agree, and I watch these particular threads like a hawk, but the other one has 784 comments and so far it's managed to remain civil.
    HatorianvoodooratBrawnVasilnate1weeniegirltrippy
  • Dee said:

Hatorian said:

Personal opinion. I think a politics thread is a very bad idea. And this being an entertainment site don't really see the connection. Bald move community has been very courteous to everyone's beliefs so far but this has potential to turn into a shit storm very quickly.

Generally I would agree, and I watch these particular threads like a hawk, but the other one has 784 comments and so far it's managed to remain civil.
    It really is amazing that the forums have remained this civil considering on my Facebook even close friends fight over politics. For complete strangers to have 800 posts without much fighting really speaks to the type of people Bald Move attracts. The guys should be extremely proud of this. Best community ever.
    DeeAlkaid13voodooratTaraC73BrawnVasilnate1April_May_JuneDaveyMacweeniegirl
  • I feel like in general the average Bald Move listener has the baseline competency and moral fiber to where even if I disagree with some people politically I still respect them enough not to just disparage them or name call. I mean there are certainly people in the world who are too vitriolic and terrible to even bother having a discourse with fbut I don't think those types frequent this forum, and if they did at one point they have probably been weeded out by now.
    Brawn
  • I mean as long as they're not just out and out white supremacists I think the average Trump supporter has some legitimate grevienances that just haven't been addressed by the Democratic Party over the past decade, I disagree with their choice in who can fix it but that's what discussion is for.
    TaraC73BrawnvoodooratGredalBee
  • It's true but I kind of agree with @Hatorian that it can't last, as nice as it is to be able to go somewhere on the internet and express political beliefs without having to see the brainless trolling "typical internet politics comments" I think probably long term it sparks contention in a realm that's more naturally about entertainment; I'm not sure how entertaining politics will be for most people for a while.
    Hatorian
  • Whatever side of the fence you come down on I think it's very important to destigmatize speaking about politics openly and publicly. It'd critical at this time that we evaluate the way our government works and what swaths of the population it actually works for. We have a group of men and some women in charge right now who are at the brink(and in some cases way over the line) of straight up ignoring the law. Our checks are becoming weaker and our individual differences as a populace are being bloated. I agree with Aron, I don't think we are really all that different. If we can learn to hash our political differences out peacefully and respectfully in public I think we can all come together, use our government for its intended purpose, and build a country that closer resembles that thing we all want. What better place to cultivate those habits than thr super positive community environment of BM. Jim and A.Ron I'm pleasantly surprised to hear 20 minutes of political talk at the end of lunch. I'm pleased and inspired that you guys are considering taking political action. My faith in my choice of podcast networks is reaffirmed. Sorry about the new York liberal essay but a NYL is what I bees.
    gguenotadobo1148weeniegirl
    There were mostly anti-Trump but some Trump supporters on the "Presidential race" thread but it never got too crazy. It's actually become somewhere I can come to discuss politics with intelligent people. I have seen a couple things where I thought "uh-oh, this might get out of hand" but it never did.

Anyway, isn't this President all about ratings? If the consequences weren't so potentially impactful, the news could be considered one of the highest rated reality shows out there.,
    ColdRolled7
    OMG GUYS

TaraC73Frakkin TVasilnate1OliviaD
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Kellyanne definitely needs some TP for her bunghole
    TaraC73akritenbrinkVasilnate1Hatorianhisdudeness915OliviaD
  • Just gonna leave this here

TaraC73Frakkin TVasilnate1
  • OMG GUYS

Uhhh huh huh huh yeah uhh, we like to use uhhh,,, huh huh, these alternative facts
    Yeah alternative facts rule, heh heh heh, butthole

Frakkin T
This discussion has been closed.