John Wick 2

WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
What a fucking movie. Talk about getting exactly what you pay for. I expected a decent follow up to a ridiculous first movie and this didn't disappoint.

That casual silent mall/subway shootout had me almost rolling on the floor.
ksa1001TheEconomisthypergenesb

Comments

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    This movie was thoroughly entertaining. If only people could not be on their fucking phones the entire time at cinemas. I about yelled "if you don't turn off your fucking phone, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU WITH A PENCIL!" I did literally say "put your fucking phone away" to the guy next to me 3 buffer seats down after I had enough of him checking it literally every 5 minutes for an hour and would leave his lock screen activated facing right at me in the cup holder. I shouldn't have to hold my hand up to block my peripheral vision to not be distracted by this bullshit. Okay rant over. Go see John Wick Chapter 2!
  • I went in to the first movie with no expectations and felt it was maybe a
    little better than ok.  The concept and plot were interesting, but I
    felt the fight scenes were over-choreographed and Keanu Reaves acting
    speaks for itself. 

I'm not expecting much from this one, but when ya'll say this didn't disappoint and thoroughly entertaining, is it WAY better than the first, or about
    the same, or something else?  Just curious.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited February 11

This movie was thoroughly entertaining. If only people could not be on their fucking phones the entire time at cinemas. I about yelled "if you don't turn off your fucking phone, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU WITH A PENCIL!" I did literally say "put your fucking phone away" to the guy next to me 3 buffer seats down after I had enough of him checking it literally every 5 minutes for an hour and would leave his lock screen activated facing right at me in the cup holder. I shouldn't have to hold my hand up to block my peripheral vision to not be distracted by this bullshit. Okay rant over. Go see John Wick Chapter 2!

This is why Alamo Drafthouse has ruined me for other theatres. If I had to deal with that now I probably would lose my shit. Sorry to hear it.

I went in to the first movie with no expectations and felt it was maybe a little better than ok.  The concept and plot were interesting, but I felt the fight scenes were over-choreographed and Keanu Reaves acting speaks for itself.  

I'm not expecting much from this one, but when ya'll say this didn't disappoint and thoroughly entertaining, is it WAY better than the first, or about the same, or something else?  Just curious.
     More of the same, but MORE. They've dialed up the set pieces and locations, very fun.

@A_Ron_Hubbard At the end of the podcast when you cover the coming slate of first run bald movies, I didn't hear Kong: Skull Island on March 10th, are you two not doing that? Having already seen an advanced screening of A Cure For Wellness, I might suggest a swap there.
    Jujee
    @Jujee Interesting you have like an inverse appreciation of John Wick than most. If you like the concept as in the universe, such as the continental, then this one fleshes it out significantly more. If you did not care for the action and its style then yeah it's more of the same but dialed up. It's visually interesting with varied set pieces. The plot is servicable and unlike some of the criticism on the podcast makes sense to me.

For Chapter 2 I would say more of the same but like way more. Well looking back at the amount and level of goons from 1, 2 really amps it up. More hardcore assassin fights like with Perkins. Legions of goons to get headshot. It's more pedal to the metal throughout I would say as well.
    Jujeeksa1001
    edited February 11
    Regarding the bald movie review by @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim I didn't have the same plot problems. They had some line in there how the Italian brother had to put on a contract on Wick to not implicate him in his sister's murder and he would avenge it. Now Winston knows the truth but in his profession confidentiality is everything and is also why he gives Wick a break and head start instead of outright having him killed after the rules are broken.

I thought Common under some code has to go after Wick. At the initial point of contact with Common and Wick, Wick isn't double crossed so probably obliged by the marker to stay loyal to that mission and keep quiet. I don't think Common is aware Wick got strong armed into it by his ward's brother and regardless I imagine this code means you go after the assassin full tilt until one of the two is dead and then you can move onto other business as indicated by the conversation at the bar.

Also I think the Ruby Rose character Ares knew she couldn't beat Wick. I think she signed "get out of here" to her boss and she knew the only way he could get to safety was to slow Wick down a minute or two so he could escape. So she sacrificed herself. Now what makes these contract killers so fiercely loyal to their wards idk beyond its part of the code? Maybe the code is like a two sided coin, assassins are purely mercenary while bodyguards are unshakably loyal. Everyone knows the rules and their lanes.

One thing I think the film could've done better is with the homeless man and the cup. Once Wick puts in a gold coin the homeless man shakes his cup for more seeing Wick in a bind. Maybe in this universe all services are fixed price in gold coins bc I'm sure crazy stuff is happening all the time and there's no price gouging. Also wrong people to price gouge.

Do these assassin guilds control or infiltrate the media or police bc a Manhattan subway rampage would be national news. They have certainly compromised the sanitation workers union. Winston does orchestrated that elaborate Central Park flash mob freeze. So idk what they're capable of.

In this universe was there Osama Bin Laden? Because if you'll have legions of street assassins try to take out the legendary Baba Yaga one on one for US$7m, then Bin Laden would've needed those high walls of his compound to fend of the hoarde of assassins for his US$25m reward. Like why fight wars? Just put a hit out on ISIS. It has to be cheaper than $11k/hr flight operations for jet fighters and $1m smart bombs to blow up pickup trucks. Just drop John Wick in the middle of Syria and he'll have the place cleaned out in a month tops.
  • Really liked chapter 2, but nothing in it comes close to the red circle club scene from 1. That start with Kaleida's Think playing will always be one of the best action scenes.
    hypergenesbWonderedObject
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    As mentioned before, it's pretty much the first movie on steroids. Which is really all we need. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

Really liked chapter 2, but nothing in it comes close to the red circle club scene from 1. That start with Kaleida's Think playing will always be one of the best action scenes.

I think that's right, but the problem with JW1 is that everything after that just fell flat by comparison.  And there was a helluva lot of movie left after that.
    TheEconomist
  • Really liked chapter 2, but nothing in it comes close to the red circle club scene from 1. That start with Kaleida's Think playing will always be one of the best action scenes.

I think that's right, but the problem with JW1 is that everything after that just fell flat by comparison.  And there was a helluva lot of movie left after that.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, 2 was good. But honestly, I will still sometimes still pull up that scene on
    youtube. I can't think of another scene that is such a perfect
    combination of camera angles, photography, music and action.
  • I always find it interesting what firearms hollywood chooses to use in their shoot-em-up films.  Regardless of your opinions on this youtuber, he does a respectable job of detailing some of the more interesting guns used in John Wick 2 (at least what he could identify in a trailer).

Speaking of YouTube, I had no idea Keanu could shoot for real.  Holy shit, check out his three gun drill:  
    TheEconomisthisdudeness915
    Keanu's physicality is off the charts in how he commits to this role. It's a total reason why you can buy into the action and it's enjoyable.
  • Yeah, those 3 gun drills came in handy down in the catacombs, and just about everywhere else.

I went and saw the movie last night.  It was a bit better than expected, but I'll admit my expectations were not high.  The action is what i went for and I got plenty of that. My favorite thing is the world-building as mentioned in the podcast.  I wonder what would've happened had John Wick met any one of the Vipers from Kill Bill.

Wick could've avoided a hell of lot of trouble up front, had he eliminated a certain person before the chaos started.  Decisions like that are what keep me from rating this higher.  There is no way he thought that problem would just go away. 

The sign language girl was annoying, and I'm glad they didn't have her fight with super hero strength and a heavyweight left hook.  It's unreal, and no, none of the UFC girls, Leila Ali, or anyone else can punch like Mike Tyson. 

Looking forward to the next one, but I have no idea how he's going to avoid the tidal wave of attacks  next time around.
    Jujee said:

Yeah, those 3 gun drills came in handy down in the catacombs, and just about everywhere else.

Coolest moment in the youtube clip was where he cheekily slid that extra round into the shotty with his index finger to get off the final shot.  Which he does on camera for John Wick 2.  
  • Jujee said:

Yeah, those 3 gun drills came in handy down in the catacombs, and just about everywhere else.

Coolest moment in the youtube clip was where he cheekily slid that extra round into the shotty with his index finger to get off the final shot.  Which he does on camera for John Wick 2.  
    yeah, I see what you are talking about. very cool.  I wish they made that benelli for lefties. 
  • I just saw John Wick 2 today and I really enjoyed it. I especially liked the world building and John's interactions with the various venders.

I do appreciate these movies for being tactically sound and having everyone actually reload, which is a small thing that always bothers me for some reason.

One questions I had: why did he have to shoot the target? She was already going to die after she slit her wrists, is it a big deal if she does it herself? In other words, as long as she is dead who cares who made the killing blow?

ksa1001
    edited February 22

I just saw John Wick 2 today and I really enjoyed it. I especially liked the world building and John's interactions with the various venders.

I do appreciate these movies for being tactically sound and having everyone actually reload, which is a small thing that always bothers me for some reason.

One questions I had: why did he have to shoot the target? She was already going to die after she slit her wrists, is it a big deal if she does it herself? In other words, as long as she is dead who cares who made the killing blow?

I think headshots are Wick's signature move. I think he wanted to make sure there was no way if things went to plan he wasn't getting that marker fulfilled. So shoot the lady. Present the gun. If you need to double check then dig out the bullet for ballistics. I did the hit so you can't hold this over me anymore.

It being John Wick was a whole plan by the brother to cast off suspicion. Ironically if Wick didn't fire and could prove it he might've saved himself the vendetta with Common and weaken the brother's rationale for his hit. But it doesn't really matter Wick's mere presence leads to her death and I imagine you don't need a real reason to put a hit out.

Wick is in a no win, he either gets the wrath of assassins for the kill or he doesn't do the kill and is still bound by the marker.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 21
    @paul. k. kilgore I felt the kill shoot was stupid. He is the boogie man, people kill themselves when they know he's on there trail. I thought this kind of stuff took me out of what was going on and I spent rest of the movie distracted. The first one was great except for the dog murder. The second had good ideas but they went to far. Like everyone was a assassin at the end. It came off as if it was setting up for a lame video game spin off.
    edited February 22
    So I saw Chapter 2 again today. None of the plot stuff bothers me as I didn't the first time either as most stuff tracks and is explained. She wanted to kill herself to go out her way and not as the victim of her brother. Fair enough.

Listening to this podcast interviewing Keanu and the director, Keanu directly address why Wick shoots her.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-empire-film-podcast/id507987292?mt=2#episodeGuid=tag:soundcloud,2010:tracks/308844550

Also a cool thing they talk about is how they sync the gunshots to the score in various scenes in both films. Really technically impressive.
  • TimKTimK Grand Rapids, MI
    kingbee67 said:

The first one was great except for the dog murder. 

What problem did you have with that?