La La Land

Okay, so you guys are going to review this, right?  Either the a spectacular homage to the golden age of cinema or the most over-rated over-hyped white people movie of the last decade?

I watched it last night.  I don't know where I stand.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 12
    I doubt they'll review it - I don't think Jim has seen it, and he doesn't like musicals. A.Ron talked about it in one of the lunches and was pretty meh on it.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Yeah, I don't think golden age musical cinema is really their wheelhouse, even if they both enjoy the film. And honestly, there is not much dissect with this one. I would rather them talk about really any other of the best picture nominees. 
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited February 13
    Yeah I don't think this is their wheelhouse or that of the general bald move audience. That said, I really enjoyed this film and it would be interesting to see their take bc this is one of the more polarizing films I've seen in relation to my friends. Some outright despise it, and they're big musical fans bc it wasn't Broadway enough, which is exactly why I like it. Some like the romance and screenplay but hated the musical elements. Some find the less than crisp song and dance groan worthy, others charming. There's actually a lot of elements to dissect with this film. Do the surreal dream like elements work? Does the message feed more into the naive dreams of some when the actual relative failure of the characters more accurately reflect reality? Should there of been more musical elements for hardcore musical fans? I enjoyed its charms overall.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I love musicals, but I don't get why everyone loves this one to be honest.  Nobody was gushing this much about Across the Universe, and it's 10 times the musical this was.

I don't want to be lynched, so it must be said LA LA Land is good.  It's just not the second coming of Singin' in the Rain.  
  • Yeah I don't think this is their wheelhouse or that of the general bald move audience. That said, I really enjoyed this film and it would be interesting to see their take bc this is one of the more polarizing films I've seen in relation to my friends. Some outright despise it, and they're big musical fans bc it wasn't Broadway enough, which is exactly why I like it. Some like the romance and screenplay but hated the musical elements. Some find the less than crisp song and dance groan worthy, others charming. There's actually a lot of elements to dissect with this film. Do the surreal dream like elements work? Does the message feed more into the naive dreams of some when the actual relative failure of the characters more accurately reflect reality? Should there of been more musical elements for hardcore musical fans? I enjoyed its charms overall.

This is why I feel like the guys would have done a great job on it

I almost binned it after 10 minutes of the start because of that absolutely horrendous opening scene.  I am, for the most part, glad I stuck with it.

Still, I am on the fence about a lot of it.  The white guy saving jazz.  The guy who loves jazz talking over jazz players.  The lack of depth of character just about squeezing by because of Emma Stone's ability.  The epilogue that should have, in my opinion, been dropped.

Then there's the good things.  The charm (and there is charm, IMO due to rather than in spite of the lack of polish on the dancing and singing).  The humour (I was surprised at the unexpected funny bits).  The dialogue was in parts, brilliant.  The insight into the audition world that closely reflects reality from my experiences at a conservatory.

Gah, I still don't know if I like or loathe it!
    aberry89
  • I love musicals, but I don't get why everyone loves this one to be honest.  Nobody was gushing this much about Across the Universe, and it's 10 times the musical this was.

I don't want to be lynched, so it must be said LA LA Land is good.  It's just not the second coming of Singin' in the Rain.  
    I thought the "musical" bits were the worst parts.

I loved Across the Universe.  I am from Liverpool, though, so I don't think it counts.
  • Wow, I didn't realize this movie got so overhyped. I saw it pretty close to its release date, and I had high expectations, but I didn't think it was going to be the 2nd coming of Singing in the Rain. I loved Gosling and Emma Stone, I thought the music was great, and it's probably my favorite movie of the year. I never felt like it was trying to be a modern Singing in the Rain, and I'm not sure where that comparison came from, but saying it's not as good as one of the greatest musicals ever made is not really a fair criticism. I agree the arrangements and choreography were just okay, but this movie is still an amazing accomplishment and deserves some oscar recognition.
    Dee
    I watched it again last night and there's something about the chemistry of Stone and Gosling that just really carries this film. Stone has these marvelously expressive eyes and face and Gosling has a great and comedic physicality. Some of his stuff reminded of The Good Guys and he was physical comedy genius in that film.

I will say again I loved the screenplay. I thought it was smart with just the right amount of sap. The technical length of some of these musical elements is impressive like the "what a waste of a lovely night scene"

Also really dug the soundtrack. Solid character themes and various cues.
    ksa1001
    edited February 16
    I don't get the chemistry between Gosling and Stone at all. I should correct myself - no sexual or romantic chemistry. In every movie where they have been love interests in fact. They seem like great buds, and I would TOTALLY belive them as best friends or brother and sister but I just get nothing in the love arena. Like the point where I kinda feel weird for them when they kiss. :/

Maybe that friendship chemistry is what you mean though....

edited February 16

Yeah I don't think this is their wheelhouse or that of the general bald move audience. That said, I really enjoyed this film and it would be interesting to see their take bc this is one of the more polarizing films I've seen in relation to my friends. Some outright despise it, and they're big musical fans bc it wasn't Broadway enough, which is exactly why I like it. Some like the romance and screenplay but hated the musical elements. Some find the less than crisp song and dance groan worthy, others charming. There's actually a lot of elements to dissect with this film. Do the surreal dream like elements work? Does the message feed more into the naive dreams of some when the actual relative failure of the characters more accurately reflect reality? Should there of been more musical elements for hardcore musical fans? I enjoyed its charms overall.

This is why I feel like the guys would have done a great job on it

I almost binned it after 10 minutes of the start because of that absolutely horrendous opening scene.  I am, for the most part, glad I stuck with it.

Still, I am on the fence about a lot of it.  The white guy saving jazz.  The guy who loves jazz talking over jazz players.  The lack of depth of character just about squeezing by because of Emma Stone's ability.  The epilogue that should have, in my opinion, been dropped.

Then there's the good things.  The charm (and there is charm, IMO due to rather than in spite of the lack of polish on the dancing and singing).  The humour (I was surprised at the unexpected funny bits).  The dialogue was in parts, brilliant.  The insight into the audition world that closely reflects reality from my experiences at a conservatory.

Gah, I still don't know if I like or loathe it!

And the fucking song he wrote for her at the end WASN'T JAZZ......

I mean what was the intention of that??? Was it just...HUH...Jazz.....

• DeeDee Adelaide

I love musicals, but I don't get why everyone loves this one to be honest.  Nobody was gushing this much about Across the Universe, and it's 10 times the musical this was.

I think some of the criticism is warranted - it's another Hollywood love letter to itself, it's white AF, Gozzles and Stone can barely sing and dance etc, but I don't care - I was still enchanted by it. I'm just a sucker for a big colourful musical, and it did remind me a lot of the old Technicolour ones.

(Also, Astaire and Kelly could barely sing too.)

ksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I loved Across the Universe.  I am from Liverpool, though, so I don't think it counts.
    So you cry like a baby when you hear You'll Never Walk Alone too?

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 18

I watched it again last night and there's something about the chemistry of Stone and Gosling that just really carries this film. Stone has these marvelously expressive eyes and face and Gosling has a great and comedic physicality. Some of his stuff reminded of The Good Guys and he was physical comedy genius in that film.

I will say again I loved the screenplay. I thought it was smart with just the right amount of sap. The technical length of some of these musical elements is impressive like the "what a waste of a lovely night scene"

Also really dug the soundtrack. Solid character themes and various cues.

I always forget how funny Ryan Gosling can be - and you're right about his physical comedy. I laughed every time he did that startled jump thing.

TheEconomist
  • Dee said:

So you cry like a baby when you hear You'll Never Walk Alone too?

Not quite (Everton fan, here), unless its at a Hillsborough Memorial
    Dee
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I've got to admit that I'm in the 'head over heels in love' camp.

I'm an absolute bastard for a musical so I knew that I was always going to like it, but I completely fell for both leads and the soundtrack. The last ten minutes had me balling just as hard as the first ten of Up.

TheEconomistDee
  • I am not a fan of musicals generally, but I thought this was a wonderful movie. I was laughing and crying, it was stunningly beautiful, and I loved the performances from Gosling and Stone. I thought it lived up to the hype. 
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Another movie I haven't seen, but I don't generally get the appeal of Ryan Gosling.
    OldGriswold
  • Another movie I haven't seen, but I don't generally get the appeal of Ryan Gosling.

Never really got it either, nor the Patrick Dempsey one, but that being said I've always loved Emma Stone and people looked at me weird for that (even though it's because she's hilarious, like JLaw, it probably doesn't hurt that they're both also easy on the eye).

I think the thing with Gosling may also be because he seems such a nice guy though.
    I am a woman is kinda immune to Goslings charms. The first time i found him attractive was in Lars and the Real Girl, when he put on a little weight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have no idea why that did for me....but I guess I like my Gosling a little thick??? He's also pretty fantastic in that movie. 

I don't find him like excessively charming, but the dude is funny (Canadian, it's in the water) His best recent role was in Nice Guys, his physical humor is pretty exceptional. 
    TheEconomist
    I like Gosling. I think he is a fine actor. He can do drama like The Place Beyond the Pines and comedy The Nice Guys. Terrific range, he done many types of films. Also a great physicality for action like Drive but especially comedy like here in La La Land and The Nice Guys.