tv and games with headphones

So this weekend I've been playing games and watching TV with headphones

Anyone else do this much ?

Is there a good pair of headphones you can recommend

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Yes, my husband and I have what I call the "marriage saving headphones" attached to the TV. We lived in small apartments for most of our marriage and he loves to watch movies at all hours, including horror movies at 3 AM, so I was tired of being woken up by screaming haha. Since we have different sleep patterns he also would ask me to wear them sometimes during the day when I watched TV too. But they also are really nice for hearing the little details in a show that you don't normally hear. They are wireless Sennheiser headphones that I got on Amazon for a good deal because they were in the "warehouse deals" section. 
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• I started doing the headphones thing when my son was born and now I actually prefer them. I love being able to turn it up as much as I want without waking the kid up or annoying the wife. And there is nothing more annoying than constantly riding the volume. I have the wireless Turtle Beach PX4's I believe. I used them with the PS3 but they also work with all my other devices so I'm gonna keep using them until they crap out and will probably be looking for some nice ones to replace.

Side note: Scary movies and games are significantly more frightening when watching with surround sound headphones.
    Frakkin TakritenbrinkiMatty94cdrive
  • Ditto. Totally replaces the need for an expensive sound system.

I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, “If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is."

• el_jefe79el_jefe79 Mesquite, TX
    Astros A50 are great, I bought them for the XBOX 1. BUt like most people like to watch TV late while wife is sleeping. So i use it for that
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I also have had a couple of pairs of bluetooth headphones I used when I use other devices (phone, tablet etc) in the LG Tone series, which are very convenient and again I found a good deal on Amazon, but they don't last a really long time and I can't recommend the sound quality for anything but podcasts. If anyone has any better recommendations for lightweight bluetooth headphones I would like to hear them. I listen to podcasts a lot at work, in a professional office, so they can't look too wild. Here's a pic of the current ones I have, which are on their last legs.

cdrive
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• I'm all about the tv and headphones. Best way to play and watch with a toddler in the next room sleeping. I use the Senheisser HD 518. Great sound quality. They have open backs, though, so they aren't good if the person next to you doesn't want to hear sound bleeding out. The open backs, though make the sound feel very open and spacious and not claustrophobic like a lot of closed headphones do.
    cdrive
    "No Hay Banda!"
  • edited February 13
    I got these Audio Technica ATH-M50RD headphones on sale.  They come with a long, stretchy cord.  Originally I tried to use them with my phone, but that long stretchy cord is perfect for reaching my stereo receiver for late night TV or movies.  Excellent sound quality. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I got a pair of the Sony Gold headset mic/headphones when they went on sale for $50.  They're normally $70.  They have a 7.1 emulation mode and sound great, and work equally well plugged in or wirelessly.  They also sound great for comms.  I don't usually stay up super late when I'd have to use them, but every once in a while they come in handy for that.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I got a pair of the Sony Gold headset mic/headphones when they went on sale for $50.  They're normally $70.  They have a 7.1 emulation mode and sound great, and work equally well plugged in or wirelessly.  They also sound great for comms.  I don't usually stay up super late when I'd have to use them, but every once in a while they come in handy for that.

This is what I have also. I am not the biggest fan of the volume buttons. But the sound is fantastic and they are very comfortable. Also, I love that there is a mic for online gaming. I am sure there are higher quality (I hear good things about Turtle Beach) but I really don't use them enough to break my bank on anything over $100. Sony has come out with a Platinum (I think?) upgrade, so you may see some price drops on these. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I tried a lot of other gaming headsets before I landed on the gold.  I found the TB ones to be inferior.  They broke after three weeks of light use.

I know what you mean about the volume controls.  Unless I'm using them daily, I forget which controls volume and which controls the game/chat balance.  I'm glad they have the options, but jeeze it's confusing, and you get in this weird loop where no matter what you turn up or down you can't hear shit.  I finally rip them off my head, get a look at what's what, then go from there, haha.
  • I do wonder why I hadn't been using headphones with tv and games. It's so much better!
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

I tried a lot of other gaming headsets before I landed on the gold.  I found the TB ones to be inferior.  They broke after three weeks of light use.

I know what you mean about the volume controls.  Unless I'm using them daily, I forget which controls volume and which controls the game/chat balance.  I'm glad they have the options, but jeeze it's confusing, and you get in this weird loop where no matter what you turn up or down you can't hear shit.  I finally rip them off my head, get a look at what's what, then go from there, haha.
    Yep! It was really annoying before I had PSVR to have to take them off and look at what I was supposed to be pushing. Its much, much worse know that I have to take off the headphones, then take off the VR goggles, adjust appropriately and then throw it all back on. First world problems and all of that, but it is needlessly annoying...though now that I am thinking of it, the PSVR has a volume control attached to the cord...that will help things certainly.