Dirk Gently on Netflix

ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
I haven't seen any other mention of this, but A.Ron did indicate on the last LWJ&A that he might be watching it.
I loved it. In fact it was even more to my tastes than Stranger Things.
Very little taken directly from the Douglas Adams' books beyond the main character himself and, I would say, the appropriate air of whimsical not-to-be-taken-seriously-ness tinged with something deeply sinister.
Yes it is American in setting and virtually all actors, but for once that hasn't overwritten the charm of the original.
I particularly enjoyed the character Bart and her very weird story. The final shot of her in the season is my favourite.
Really looking forward to seeing S2.

Comments

• This doesn't seem to be available in Netflix's North American distribution.
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    @ghm3 I see that it is on BBC America in the US. How weird, we in the UK get it on Netflix, North Americans get it on the BBC.
  • Yeah international distribution is an odd thing. I think shows are sold to different distribution companies in each region, so a show that's on a cable network in the US might be a "Netflix Original" in Australia or something. That's really confusing though since Netflix makes so much of their own content as well, I wish they would distinguish the two.

Anyway I found it and love it so far, just finished episode 4. It's hilariously bizarre in that signature Douglas Adams way. 
    ceburaska
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    It has happened before with BBC America original content, such as Orphan Black, that it eventually turned up on BBC3 in the dead of night with little fanfare. Finally, S4 was on Netflix so I could access it easily.
    I presume that is now the general model for BBC America content to arrive in the U.K.
    But seeing as BBC America is majority owned by the BBC, you might have thought that the latter would be a bit better at securing content from the American operation. Odd.