• Is there an "Ugh" emoji?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Where is their hair?
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Cory said:

Where is their hair?

Maybe this is a shaved head sect?

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    When is this timeline? I thought it was hilarious when Enterprise has to ret con an explaination for why TOS Klingons had no cranial ridges and they suddenly appear in TNG.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Why?  Why?????
    Let me elaborate after a conversation with Jim.  This is a Star Trek show that's going to air exclusively on CBS's digital distribution service.  I'm assuming they're going to want Star Trek fans to watch.  As a Star Trek fan, I hate this.  If you're changing the look of a Klingon just to change it, why would you do that?  Because a non-Star Trek fan will like it?  Because it's cooler or edgier?  Do people not understand why people like Star Trek? 

The only way I'd like this is if they're re-inventing all of the alien species to make them look less anthropomorphic, so it's not just a head wrinkle or pointy ear or airbrushed freckle that distinguishes them from homo sapiens.  
    GredalBeepmmrn3
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    It's going to be different, for sure, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Costumes and makeup were never that great on Trek, you have to admit, mostly because Paramount never wanted to spend any money on it. These don't look like the Klingons we know, and that doesn't bother me that much. Trek isn't about the makeup, it's about hope for the future and the human spirit. If they do something that really honors Roddenberry's vision, I don't care what the Klingons look like. 

11-year old me was one of those angry fans back in 1987, and I was wrong. If being a life-long Trekkie has taught me one thing, it's to wait and see. That monster might just be a mother protecting her young, and that incarnation that is going to ruin your fandom might just rejuvenate it for a new generation. 
    TheEconomistElisa
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I'm not going to get hung up on different looks.  If the stories are good, I'm on board.

I'll be giving it a shot but this whole CBS All Access business concerns me about it actually having any staying power.  I think it would be horrible to have a 10 episode Star Trek series.
    Elisa
  • edited February 23
    Don't like, but, to go along with @Frakkin T's sentiment, at least they don't look like flamboyant musketeers...

One of my favorite DS9 moments was Bashir's disbelief at seeing Kirk-era Klingons: "Those are Klingons?!!" To which a wincing Worf responds: "We do not discuss it with outsiders!"

(Edited per nerd OCD)
    TheEconomistFrakkin TCory
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    9/24 with 2 episodes, I believe.  They are also doing some split season BS to make you subscribe for a longer period of time by leaving in November and returning in January.

I cannot imagine how this can be good.  I haven't seen anything from the actual production or trailers that has excited me in any way.

And yet, I'm in for the entire thing.  Hell, I might even do a podcast on it.  I watched Enterprise.  How bad could this be?
    Elisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 19
    I am very Trek neutral - I love the show, but for its philosophical and sci-fi edge, I really don't give a shit how something looks, if the writing is solid I will be fine. 

If how a Klingon looks is the one of top tier most important things you love about the show....maybe you're in it for the wrong reasons, or at least boring reasons. 

Frakkin TElisaDaveyMacalexander.klassen
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I don't care that much what they look like as long as it isn't ridiculous.  I wonder if they are going to try to explain why some  Klingons looked like humans in the past like Enterprise did.  I hope they just ignore it and move on.

It looks like they are doing the death scream to warn Sto-vo-kor that a warrior is coming.  That's pretty cool.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Enormous trekkie here. I don't yet have an opinion on this. The show could suck and none of it could matter.
    aberry89 said:

I am very Trek neutral - I love the show, but for its philosophical and sci-fi edge, I really don't give a shit how something looks, if the writing is solid I will be fine. 

If how a Klingon looks is the one of top tier most important things you love about the show....maybe you're in it for the wrong reasons, or at least boring reasons. 
    I could easily turn that around and say if they're fucking with the look of an alien species,  when there was nothing wrong or limiting about the way they were previously portrayed, then the producers are in it for the wrong reasons.  Shooting for sizzle cause they got no steak.  
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited June 20
    good video summarizing a lot of the behind the scenes rumors and turmoil 

He did a follow up video a couple weeks ago that gets into the licensing issues going on between Paramount, Viacom, CBS etc, etc, which is where it turns into a real fustercluck:

bottom line is this show is likely going to be awful if you're expecting Star Trek in any recognizable form...

On the other hand, the Orville looks amazing and might be the most Star Trek like thing coming to TV in the near future  :) 

redlancer said:

bottom line is this show is likely going to be awful if you're expecting Star Trek in any recognizable form...

Honestly Trekkies have been saying this since TNG was about to come on the air. I'm gonna wait and see and hope.
    Frakkin T said:

redlancer said:

Honestly Trekkies have been saying this since TNG was about to come on the air. I'm gonna wait and see and hope.
    Good point.  And to be fair, first season TNG is pretty god awful.  I'm not sure if would have been allowed to find it's footing in this TV climate.  Still, had a great vision and great cast from the start.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    First two of TNG were bad with a few episode exceptions.

First couple DS9 seasons were bad.

Wouldn't get that chance today. Hell, Enterprise was starting to get good and got cancelled early on in the season they finally got it figured out.

Discovery is set up for failure due to the platform. Hopefully it will be good enough to get picked up by a real viable broadcast avenue.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    DrKen said:

First two of TNG were bad with a few episode exceptions.

First couple DS9 seasons were bad.

Wouldn't get that chance today. Hell, Enterprise was starting to get good and got cancelled early on in the season they finally got it figured out.

Discovery is set up for failure due to the platform. Hopefully it will be good enough to get picked up by a real viable broadcast avenue.

All true, but this has the extra whiff of too many cooks in the kitchen, some kind of weird hybrid reboot/sequel/alternate reality, fights over property licensing & IP, PLUS being launched on an offshoot platform. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    A buddy of mine and I did an episode ranking all the Star Trek movies.

I thought some here might be interested, and by the grace of Jim & ARon, they said it's cool that I link it -

Also some Nicholas Meyer talk (full disclosure - very little) writer/director on II, IV, and VI as well as writer on Star Trek: Discovery.

Hope you all like it -

http://chicagofanatics.libsyn.com
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    This series kinda feels like it'll be DOA. Like A Ron said, its CBS streaming only (didn't even know that was a thing...) they have to be banking on Trek fans finding it. 100 percent of the Trek Fans I talk to do not want reimagined looking species or prequels. They/I want some form of TNG/DS9/VOY era reborn. BUT I'll go into it with an open mind. Enterprise looked like hot garbage, but ended up liking it a lot.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I see that Jonathan Frakes is going to direct one of the episodes.  He directed some great TNG episodes like The Drumhead and Cause and Effect, plus the First Contact movie.  He always had an interesting style in his direction, using different angles of sets we had seen many times.  

This, combined with Nicholas Meyer being involved, gives me a fleeting hope that something good could happen here.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Elisarusskelly
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 27
    Reviving this thread - anyone catch the trailer that came out of ComiCon? With all the production turmoil, I have to say it looks pretty good visually, at least. I maybe am *slightly* more optimistic now. Plus it has Dwight Schrute as crazy beard man! Still wish CBS had put it on Showtime instead of "All Access" to give it more of "prestige tv" push.

Elisa
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    It will probably be a train wreck. Considering it has been in production hell for more than a year.

I will never understand why the people in charge of Star Trek insist on setting everything in the TOS era, but then fucking with the visuals of everything.

Of all audiences I would think Star Trek fans would be way more accepting of a show that just does its own thing and we see new aliens and new galaxies rather than just retreading the same waters.
    Melia004
    @MrX that's not crazy beard man--it's human trafficker, fan favorite, and all around scoundrel Harry Mudd! image
    ElisaLukeGredalBee
    @Frakkin T yep just what every Trek fan has always wanted a Harry Mudd origin story....

If they were going the war story route I would rather have them got Bacula back and did the Romulan War.
  • I'm very curious about whether there will be much in Discovery along the lines of Q (TNG not Voyager) or The Prophets... The celestial temple scenes in DS9 were very well utilized as plot devices, IMO.
    edited July 29
    I'm very curious about whether there will be much in Discovery along the lines of Q (TNG not Voyager) or The Prophets... The celestial temple scenes in DS9 were very well utilized as plot devices, IMO.
    Yes, I've always loved the mystery of the beyond-species. TOS had Trelaine (1 episode) and I can't recall Enterprise doing any of it. 

The problem with these shows set in the Kirk era is 

I'm so sick of knowing more than the characters do. 

Edit: For crazy emphasis.
    russkelly
    As far as the trailer, I love Jason Isaacs. (Hello to Jason.) I don't mind the visual style because TNG probably looked overly produced when compared to TOS. Whatever. It will look its age, like all of them. 

I can see the characters sitting around a table talking about the early 21st century classic "All the Single Ladies." 

@JaimieT that is he issue isn't it. Since this is a prequel we know that the Klingons lose the war. We know everyone onboard Discovery ultimately doesn't do diddly because in all the numerous conflict with the Klingons we never hear Kirk, Picard, Worf, Sisko, etc mention "yes we defeated their fleet just like the legendary Discovey".

I mean I get it. Sex and ultra violent content is what sells now, CBS wants Walking Dead, it wants Game of Thrones.And if they didn't think they could make a Trek show that was at least 75% conflicts being resolved without shooting then they shouldn't have made the show.

I could be wrong and this trailer could just be spicing things up, but all the interviews I have seen have stressed "this is a different mood of a show we are at war".