Is anyone watching Riverdale

I caught the first few episodes on Netflix here and I have to say its very watchable, I have strong Twin Peaks vibes from it but its no where near that level. So far I haven't cared about any of the characters but its been interesting to see some of the stars of the show

I didn't know Luke Perry was alive let alone working anymore
Ditto for Skeet Ulrich 
Madchen Amick looks amazing and probably keeps the Twin Peaks vibe going
Riverdale has the highest percentage of smoking hot people per capita than anywhere on Earth
I can't believe Frankenstein from Big Daddy is Jughead
I know they are not the first to incorporate gay characters into their show but to have a progressive dad in a small town is pretty impressive
Cheryl Blossom in the space of 4 episodes is the new must hate character on TV. I don't advoacte violence but she has a punchable face
Aggressive handling of new forms of bullying like online slut shaming was brilliant

I actually have little to no connection to the comics or the animated show even though I used to watch Josie and the Pussycats cartoon as a kid it seems like a refreshing reboot of a series. I wonder how long it will keep me interested for
Travis

Comments

• I've been curious about it and wanted to give it a go, but we've been all huddled into Community and Supernatural lately (aside from the few shows that we're keeping up on week to week). We just finished Community so hopefully that will open a little time up to give this one a shot. Glad you're enjoying it.
  • Heard about it. Not a huge CW fan though.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 2017
    Yeah. Its good. Like Twin Peaks, but with the teenagers actually looking like teenagers.
    Elisa
  • edited February 2017
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm watching it - I really like it, it's way better than I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks too.

I can't decide who I hate more - Cheryl Blossom or poor Betty's crazy Mum.
    Elisa
  • I'm hearing a lot about this show lately but haven't watched a thing apart from a promo. Your mention of Twin Peaks piqued my interest though.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I can't believe this is happening. I watched the Archie cartoon as a kid. What's next dysfunctional Family Circus where one of kids is hooked on OxyContin?
  • gguenot said:

Heard about it. Not a huge CW fan though.

This doesn't suck (not a ringing endorsement) but I LOVE Crazy Ex-Girlfriend & Jane The Virgin. Everybody Hates Chris was also good and on the CW.
    phoenyx1023Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    kingbee67 said:

I can't believe this is happening. I watched the Archie cartoon as a kid. What's next dysfunctional Family Circus where one of kids is hooked on OxyContin?

I'd watch it.  Make "Not Me" and "Ida Know" either a supernatural phenomenon or the children's homicidal split personalities and that show would be FIRE.
  • someone should draw the dotted-line map of billy walking about skid row trying to score.
    Ajas
  • Dee said:

I'm watching it - I really like it, it's way better than I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks too.

I can't decide who I hate more - Cheryl Blossom or poor Betty's crazy Mum.

oh yeah Betty's mum is insane and very easily hated

So it seems that people are torn about the idea but people that watch it think it's alright. I like that its not a binge show but will be once its all released.

Also if there was a comic strip adaptation like Family Circus what would be the biggest change that would alienate the fan base the worst?
    Elisa
  • I have actually enjoyed the show quite a bit. No ties to the source material. it does seem like all the mothers are easily hateable though
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    All the parents are terrible, but it is a guilty pleasure like Dawson Creek or Gossip Girls meets Twin Peaks.  I am enjoying it.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Elisa said:

All the parents are terrible, but it is a guilty pleasure like Dawson Creek or Gossip Girls meets Twin Peaks.  I am enjoying it.

My wife and I are obsessively watching because of our love for Dawson's and Gossip Girl. It's been a lot of fun so far, and my wife is wishing away our week to get to Thursday night.
    Elisa
  • I was enjoying the show in the beginning, but with each new episode my interest is waning. 
This discussion has been closed.