Big Little Lies

DeeDee Adelaide
edited February 26 in Other TV
Anyone watching this? Reese Witherspoon is great as the feisty lead - I kind of want to be her best friend.
OliviaD

Comments

• edited February 26
    I want to see this as I really enjoyed the book. I've enjoyed all Lianne Moriarty's books. Is the film set in America or Australia?
  • Just realised it's been done as a show not a film. The format should work much better to stay true to the source material.
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I want to see this as I really enjoyed the book. I've enjoyed all Lianne Moriarty's books. Is the film set in America or Australia?

Set in America. I am Australian so I was a bit ehhh on that at first, but it does seem to fit in well. Rich beachy people are the same the world over, I guess!

DStar
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    I watched the premiere and the second episode Friday night and I'm in. Stellar cast; I'll watch anything with alexander skarsgard
    Dee
  • Just finished watching episode one and two - I am *in* !
    Dee

• One of my favorite shows on right now. Killer actors delivering great performances with an intriguing story.

• My wife is a big Alexander skarsgard fan :/
    akritenbrink
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    edited March 6
    I haven't had a good TV show in forever, so this is great. Nothing major happened in last night's episode, and yet the characters are so fascinating I don't care. How long is this? 6 episodes? (I'm guessing... I can't remember.) It feels like a lull before things start ratcheting up. 

What DID happen was a lot of reveals about how these characters see the world. The young single mother dealing with PTSD. Jesus, that moment when the guy was busting into her house gave me a panic attack... and then nothing... It's rare to see film mimic the way the brain works so much (although I'm sure that's been done before). I wonder if the abusive husband being so ready to open up to the therapist is just a manipulation tactic. I love that I can't tell.

The central problem is, I'm guessing, the conflict over Ziggy. People taking sides. I know in the pilot someone said that if Reese Witherspoon's character had never gotten out of the car the murder wouldn't have happened. Getting out of the car led to her meeting Ziggy's mom. Everything feels so inevitable. An olive branch was extended this episode, but RW's character couldn't break her plans for Frozen...

But it all started with RW's character needing to teach someone a lesson (not to text while driving).

No spoilers for me, please! I haven't read the book.
  • naterta Seattle, WA
    Love the show so far too, this last episode was really interesting with the counselor scene and then Jane's date rape scene. It seems that they're doing a lot of mirroring with the Kidman and skarsgard relationship and Jane, ziggy's mom's experience.
    I wasn't sure how to read perry (skarsgard) and his confessions to the therapist because while he seemed genuine both strayed away from what was actually happening, the chocking etc.

is the twist going to be that perry is actually ziggy's father? I think Jane was in a different city but perry does travel a lot so I mean I guess it could be possible and as far as I know the two haven't met in the show yet. Just seems to me that when Jane was saying he was charming until he got into the bedroom and then he turned violent it mirrored perry's behavior. Would that be interesting for you all? Or am I just watching too much mr. Robot and westworld?
    DStar
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    You might be looking for twists that aren't there, but you might be right. I have no idea! Personally though, I would feel it would be farfetched for the father  to show up again... The whole point of it is that he's gone. That revelation cemented Madeline's bond with Jane. (I looked up names, dammit.) Madeline said that Nathan Carlson, her ex-husband, was a completely different person 15+ years ago. Probably abusive. And, Madeline just feels sorry for her, I'm sure. It's possible Jane has suffered worse when the two are compared.

Yes, Perry's violence is similar and I could see him having had an affair, but I think this is just a repetition on the same theme: violence in relationships, feeling unsafe, needing to put on a show.

• JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    edited March 7
    Can I just say... If this were about men, I think we'd be hearing about it a lot more. Or I would anyway. But I frequent predominantly male corners of the internet. It's a remarkable show about the modern female experience. I'm white and financially stable, so maybe it's just a remarkable show about the white, financially stable, modern female experience, lol. But how many shows do this with men and get ALL the attention?

Oh well. At least I have a good show to watch. I identify with it so much, and that's a new feeling for me as far as TV is concerned. I'm considering aspects of things I am already familiar with instead of glancing into the other.

DeeDStar
  • cdrivecdrive Screwston, TX
    gguenot said:

My wife is a big Alexander skarsgard fan :/

Ha. Everyone's wife is a big Alexander Skarsgard fan.
    gguenot
  • naterta Seattle, WA
    Yeah I agree with what you said that it's probably more of a repitition of the same theme, I'd be ok with the show not having twists like that, I think it would be interesting to just explore these characters for what they are twist free.
    I agree that the characters are relatable, I grew up in a very affluent area and I definitely met people who are similar to almost everyone here. I went to school with TONS girls like Abagail, Witherspoon's daughter and I do like a show that is more focused on the woman's perspective and the idea of giving up a career to raise a family. I'm a college age man so idk if I'm able to always relate to the characters but I do find them believable
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Is this a "mom show" or do people enjoy it who aren't moms?
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• April_May_JuneApril_May_June California

I don't have any kids, and I am loving this show. :)

akritenbrink

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I had a heart stopping moment when Adam Scott was looking out the door at his stepdaughter - I'm so glad that didn't go where I was momentarily afraid it was going.

I am loving Reese so much in this - her character is fantastic. I can take or leave Nicole Kidman, she's always kind of wishy washy to me.
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    Dee said:

I had a heart stopping moment when Adam Scott was looking out the door at his stepdaughter - I'm so glad that didn't go where I was momentarily afraid it was going.

I am loving Reese so much in this - her character is fantastic. I can take or leave Nicole Kidman, she's always kind of wishy washy to me.

I'm with you on the Adam Scott moment.  In fact, I'm still not sure we're in the clear because that was a very long gaze.  As an actual stepfather I am more than a little sensitive to this.  The lecherours stepfather is such a common trope now.  I think we've replaced the old Cinderella stepmother as the archtype familial villian.

@JaimieT I do agree the show doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention, considering it's HBO and some of the people involved.  As you mentioned, the fact that women are the leads is one factor.  You mentioned another factor, that the setting is predominantly white and affluent, which lessens its cache with the diversity minded crowd.

Overall, I am really enjoying this show.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle

I'm a guy with no kids, and I think it's one of the best shows on tv right now, so...
    akritenbrink

• BrieanneBrieanne California
    Has anyone else read the book?

I have, and I'm having a blast watching this with my husband who has not.

He keeps trying to guess who the dead person is and various other plot points and I'm giving him the standard A.Ron/Jim answer of "That's mildly interesting..." hahaha
    DStar
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I've read it, but it was yonks ago when it first came out so I don't actually remember who is dead.
    OK I might have to check it out.

Angie Kritenbrink

• I just started watching this and I'm enjoying it a lot. This is the kind of mystery show that I wish The Night Of would have become.
    ElisaDStar
  • JaimieTJaimieT Houston
    I am loving how the show is exploring the abuser as the abused. With Ziggy, this might be a good development and I'm glad for it. With Perry, NOPE. I'm wondering if the show wants us to sympathize with Perry or if it's just showing the abuse from Perry's POV as a contrast to the Ziggy situation, or just to help us understand Celeste's dilemma. I hope it's not wanting us to sympathize with him... I feel so strongly against that, and to change my mind I would need an entire show devoted to it and not this subplot. 

This is pure drama. I love it. When JK Rowling wrote A Casual Vacancy after Harry Potter, so many of her fans didn't get it, but I thoroughly enjoyed that book. Small town drama is great and I can't get enough.
    MichaelG said:

@MichaelG I'm a guy with no kids, and I think it's one of the best shows on tv right now, so...

Nice, I suspected it had broader appeal. (I'm not a mom/parent either.) 
    DStar
  • I think this episode is proof that Ed was looking at Abby lecherously, but I don't think it's going to matter. I could still be talked into anybody being the dead body, and anybody being the killer. I think I can maybe go one more episode without answers, but it's beginning to wear thin. I really want some closure of the choking thing. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    JaimieT said:

I am loving how the show is exploring the abuser as the abused. With Ziggy, this might be a good development and I'm glad for it. With Perry, NOPE. I'm wondering if the show wants us to sympathize with Perry or if it's just showing the abuse from Perry's POV as a contrast to the Ziggy situation, or just to help us understand Celeste's dilemma. I hope it's not wanting us to sympathize with him... I feel so strongly against that, and to change my mind I would need an entire show devoted to it and not this subplot. 

This is pure drama. I love it. When JK Rowling wrote A Casual Vacancy after Harry Potter, so many of her fans didn't get it, but I thoroughly enjoyed that book. Small town drama is great and I can't get enough.
    MichaelG said:

@MichaelG I'm a guy with no kids, and I think it's one of the best shows on tv right now, so...

Nice, I suspected it had broader appeal. (I'm not a mom/parent either.) 
    I never read The Casual Vacancy, but I watched the show and loved it - I would never have made the connection with this book/show, but you're spot on.

I don't think we are meant to sympathise with Perry - it feels to me like they're showing how little it takes for him to lose his shit, and how Celeste still has the strength to call it out.

JaimieT
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dummy said:

I think this episode is proof that Ed was looking at Abby lecherously, but I don't think it's going to matter. I could still be talked into anybody being the dead body, and anybody being the killer. I think I can maybe go one more episode without answers, but it's beginning to wear thin. I really want some closure of the choking thing. 

Do you mean the scene with Ed and Bonnie? I can't work out whether Ed is "off" (as Nathan says) or whether I'm just looking for some reason to be suspicious of him.

I doubt you'll get any answers until the final episode - this is a classic Liane Moriarty MO.
    Dummy
    Ok I started watching it. I am having an overwhelming urge to Google the book outcome but I haven't yet haha.

Angie Kritenbrink

• DStarDStar Portland, OR
    I'm loving this show. It's great to see so much real and varied conflict from a predominantly female cast.

I noticed too that during the credit sequence whenever a female cast member is listed they show her on screen, but they just show the male cast members names' with general scenery clips from the show.

I don't think I ever noticed how it's commonly the reverse in most other dramas until now.

It makes me feel heartened about this show and at the same time sad that I've completely missed that subtle sexism until now in other projects.

I have a feeling that this show will gain wider recognition after it's completed the run, much like The Wire. I have a feeling we'll be looking back at it and peeling back layer after layer.

For now, I'm just enjoying the hell out of each episode. Even when I have now idea what is going to happen (haven't read the books) or what the final theses of the show is yet.
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    edited March 14
    Question for all....After Perry puts his hands on Celeste and the kids interrupt, we see Perry in an agitated state.  Do you all think he was upset with himself for losing his shit again or angry that he was not able to finish the abuse that he started?

It got me wondering how honest he is with himself for being that much of a monster.  I know its easy to say that everyone thinks they're the hero of their own story, but a lot of people also walk around filled with self-loathing.  Celeste certainly does for being in such a dysfunctional relationship, which makes her moment in the sun after the Play meeting all the sweeter.

As far as Ziggy, I'm still going nuts from the original incident with the choking.  In this episode, the Teacher connects a few  dots based on several moments of observation to conclude that Ziggy is bullying Amabella.  Yet someone was able to choke Amabella on the first day with enough force or duration to leave a visible mark for a while afterwards without her witnessing it.

DStar
    The teacher is a moron. She was totally leading Amabella in that scene.
    OliviaDJaimieTDStarMichaelGjazzminawa

Angie Kritenbrink