711 - Hostiles and Calamities

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
Director: Kari Skogland 

Writer: David Leslie Johnson

Comments

• Now to have Easy Street stuck in my head again for the next few hours thanks for that Gimple. I think I have reacted worse to that song than Daryl ever did
    mwspiakDani
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    This is the Eugene episode none of us asked for but all of us wanted. Can't wait for all out war in season 9 lmao
    iMatty94
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    This episode is just bizarre

• davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    edited February 2017
    I might regret this statement, this is not the worst episode this season. we didnt need the Eugene and Dwight based epsiodes but I think its the first time they sprinkled in just the right amount of Negan to not make him annoying. He needs to not be front and centre in everything to get the best out of his character 

Eugene is still a prick but this is the first time you can see why he is doing all of this mainly because he wants to sit on his arse eat and play video games
    cbspockceburaska
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    I wonder if he will reach a point where he will grow a spine and rebel
  • cbspock said:

He has more chance of his mullet to grow futher down his back and become an exoskeleton
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited February 2017
    "Cast her in bronze." Lmaoooo

Edit: this was the first time I sync'd up the live watch banter with the dvr'd episode. Hilarious. Completely helped with the "don't care" Dwight dramatic focus. Jokes!
  • I set my alarm for 2019, when something might actually happen. 

It wasn't completely terrible, but yeah meh. Can't they figure out how to develop characters without spending 50 minutes on them? These are often things you can do in a simple 30-60 seconds. 
  • cbspock said:

I think they set the seeds tonight. Eugene knew Dwight lied and didn't say anything. He made the pills, but didn't give the women them. IMO what I think the writers are setting up is Eugene and Dwight "teaming up" slowly against Neagan. I mean really in order to slip him the pill, you'd have to have his trust AND have an opportunity to slip the pill/mixture into something he might eat. I'm guessing Eugene decided that the wives weren't up for the task and decided against giving it to them. After all, if you're going to go for the king, you best not miss.
    Kela15
  • Well... that... wasn't awful? I think?
  • nevermind poison pills! I dont understand why anybody is loyal to Negan, somebody just shoot him in the face.  No one would rush to his defense
    manhattnik
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Any sympathy they were trying to build with Dwight is totally spent now with how he sandbagged the doctor. It's one thing to be a coward like Eugene primarily concerned with self preservation, but he doesn't at least intentionally frame and fuck over other people that leads to their death. If we're going in circles with the character can we at least not waste as much time.
  • Yea. They spent 3 minutes of the episode where dwights Wife was "you used to be a good guy, blah blah" and I Guess it's suppose to make the viewers feel bad for him??? But then not even 15 minutes later he's directly responsible for murdering the doctor. If they are trying to make us like Dwight or feel bad for him they are doing a real shitty job. I assumed we would get a redemption arc but now I'm just like fuck this douchebag.
    manhattnik
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Hatorian precisely.

I kind of love/hate Eugene, so this episode was entertaining for me. Negan's wives irritated me, but Eugene's 'worship me, for I am a doctor and a scientist' shtick made up for it. I do think the pills he made will come into play later. Who knows, maybe one of them is for Dwight?
    manhattnikKela15
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    @KingKobra How did Eugene know Dwight lied?
    Vasilnate1
  • @KingKobra How did Eugene know Dwight lied?

cuz he's a smarty pants
    KingKobramanhattnik
  • @KingKobra How did Eugene know Dwight lied?

"Knew"...I'm guessing observation of Dwight....we know Dwight lied, Eugene said he basically knew that he lied as well, the "how" wasn't reveladed. Of course not being able to look that the guy when being punished probably was a major clue (as were the long stares into the oven).
    manhattnik
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited February 2017
    I know Eugene is supposed to be a coward and all, but this whole act is a bit too much for me at times. I'm just cringing while Eugene is pissing his pants and visibly weeping as Negan is calmly speaking to him and offering him the "good life" for his services.

The Saviors didn't drag his ass all the way back to the Savior HQ in order to bash his brains in. They would have Lucilled him in front of his peers if the plan was to kill or hurt him. Even if Eugene couldn't work that out in his head on the way over to the compound, he should have figured that out when he was treated like royalty when he initially arrived.
  • This episode contains another scene that epitomizes their "who cares if it makes sense, it will look/sound cool" attitude. The whole "encasing zombies in metal" bit. First, why is zombie decomposition only an issue at the fence? Second, is there really a shortage of zombies that you need to make sure the ones you have last? Third, if the zombie is going to be immobilized in metal, what does it matter whether their limbs have fallen off? They are not going to be walking or using those limbs anyways.
  • Sooooooooo, I should watch this episode? Missed it because of the Oscars
  • I like Eugene and I liked this ep.

But of all the things that went on, I focused on something more than I should of.

What the hell was that video game he was playing ? Did they just 'make' something up 
    because it's nothing I recognize.

As a games player/programmer in the 80's and 90's I think I know most of the games of 
    the time - So anyone know what that was ?

cbspock said it was a bizarre ep. - Yep it was - But I liked it.

• Surely you played Yars Revenge on Atari 2600?

I just watched the documentary "Atari - Game Over" that talks about the rise and fall of Atari, and that game was an important part of the rise.
    Vasilnate1
    I liked this episode. But I agree the whole zombie-in-metal thing made little sense. (Gold crown/GOT reference?)

Surely Negan could figure out a way to have fresh zombies whenever he needs them.
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    I actually enjoyed this episode! I'm sure Eugene is concocting a cunning plan of Black Adder proportions...
    manhattnik
  • redlancer said:

Surely you played Yars Revenge on Atari 2600?

I just watched the documentary "Atari - Game Over" that talks about the rise and fall of Atari, and that game was an important part of the rise.

I did not know that and concede that it's a legit video game.

• I liked this episode. But I agree the whole zombie-in-metal thing made little sense. (Gold crown/GOT reference?)

Surely Negan could figure out a way to have fresh zombies whenever he needs them.

Why risk people when you can keep a captured walker longer? (This is what I think the purpose was/is). Each time one falls apart they have to replace it, which risks a person that could be used for another task.
    manhattnik
  • I'm pretty sure that if the zombies are already rotting and falling apart, that as soon as they come into contact with molten metal they will pretty much disintegrate.  It would at least melt through the skull and destroy the brain
    manhattnik
  • But I agree the whole zombie-in-metal thing made little sense. (Gold crown/GOT reference?)

This had to be a callback to S6 when Eugene & Abe encountered the walker that Eugene wasn't able to kill, no?  The one in the factory that had a lead "helmet" of sorts?

manhattnikKingKobraTheEconomistMelonusk
    @DoubleA_Ron Totally don't remember. But it makes sense.
  • @DoubleA_Ron Totally don't remember. But it makes sense.

An obscure, year-old reference in a current TWD episode?  Yup, sounds about right.

Actually, two obscure references if I recall correctly... I believe that same episode was when Eugene first said "Pump the brakes, Red", a line he also repeated last night.

Spot on, Gimple!  Spot on!
    manhattnik
This discussion has been closed.