The Americans - Season 5

Starts next Tuesday - discuss.
So what? No f*kin ziti now?

Comments

• A_Ron famously cites the father-son relationship in The Walking Dead as one of the elements that keeps him watching.

The parent-child dynamic in The Americans is on another level.  Everything is in play - parent dying, child dying, child killing another character, child ratting out mom and dad, etc.
    akritenbrinkmanhattnik
  • I couldn't really remember what happened at the end of last season.  Had to go look it up.  I just remembered being disappointed at the finale last season.  Anyways, sure I'm looking forward to the show's return and seeing where the story will go.
  • It's out next Tuesday the trailers look good /discussion until next week :p
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Very excited for the return.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    This is one of the worst parts about living in Australia, we have 1 Cable provider here and its ridiculously expensive but they currently don't have a release date for The Americans.

To put in perspective we actually get a lot of things around the same time, GOT, West World, The Walking Dead etc all air at the exact same time as the American Eastern Seaboard, we also by the nature of the date and time difference get movies earlier than US etc but The Americans is my favourite active show at the moment and I might have to wait up to 4 weeks to legitimately access the show. 

I don't pirate content but I also don't have the patience to wait an extended undetermined length for the show to arrive here.
    Besides my access issues I am super excited about this season especially since it is the second last season and we need to be closing some loops. Paige finding out about her parents changed the trajectory of the show, she loves them but hates the truth. 

Martha being basically out of the major plot will also open time up for other elements to start closing out. we will need in the next 2 seasons for 

1. Paige to give up the secret
    2. Stan to find out (Finale S5 or S6)
    3. Stan also needs to find out it was the Jennings who killed Amador S6
    4. Will the Jennings die, get caught or return to Russia? 
    5. How does Henry react when he finds out

There are a lot of elements of this show that remind me of the problems in ending Dexter about when people find out their secret, whats the best way to end the show. Dexter shat the bed in the end but this is a significantly better show than that ever was so I'm holding out hope they will be in the best endings ever not the worst endings list in a few years. 
    ElisaSundial
  • Damn it sucks bald move randonly stopped.covering 1 of the best shows on tv. Such a great show to discuss too. These last 2 seasons should be great because theyre gonna have to move forward at a consistent pace to wrap it up.
    Elisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    YESSSSSSSSSSSS This is one of my favorite shows. Can't wait to see what they do with Paige. Hoping someone kills Pastor Tim or at least gives him a new hairdo and that his dumb wife just fades into history. 

I have a pipe dream that Martha is somewhere in Russia in a corner apartment wearing some beautiful Russian scarf on her head and learning to make borscht. 
    Elisa
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• Paige is gonna punch the shit out of someone, aw yea!

We should start a pool on what awesome songs will be used in an awesome way this season

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I've almost completed a full rewatch and am getting more excited by the day. I'm looking forward to seeing the Soviet Union through the perspective of Arkady and Oleg, and hopefully, Martha. As for what aspect of the Cold War the show will delve into, I wonder if they will expand from biological warfare to agricultural bioterrorism, which is absolutely terrifying.

Regarding music, I love the deep cuts, but I've heard they received an increased budget, so I would love it they used some Clash or U2 if they go big. If they wanted to go really on-the-nose, something like Depeche Mode's, People Are People, is pretty irresistible.
    Stop pissing in my soup and saying you're cooling it off.
  • The will never get it, but, 'Born in the USA' would be great.

I said once before, I'd love to see 'Red Dawn' worked into the plot.
  • I've almost completed a full rewatch and am getting more excited by the day. I'm looking forward to seeing the Soviet Union through the perspective of Arkady and Oleg, and hopefully, Martha. As for what aspect of the Cold War the show will delve into, I wonder if they will expand from biological warfare to agricultural bioterrorism, which is absolutely terrifying.

Regarding music, I love the deep cuts, but I've heard they received an increased budget, so I would love it they used some Clash or U2 if they go big. If they wanted to go really on-the-nose, something like Depeche Mode's, People Are People, is pretty irresistible.
    Yes Depeche Mode would be great. What year is the show in now? 1984? I feel like they could work a track from Born in the U.S.A. in there if they're going big budget. I could see a montage set to "I'm on Fire" working.

Also they are kindof required to use another Fleetwood Mac / Stevie Nicks song right? I would suggest "Stand Back" from Stevie's 1984 solo album.
    pavlovsbell
  • Meanwhile in real life, season 35 of The Americans is getting pretty weird.

TheEconomistElisa
  • Sepinwall says episodes 2 and 3 are excellent.

Elisa
  • Americans back tonight! Love it but cant wait for the bald move recap of..... ooo wait i forgot. Why is this show not covered anymore again? I mean i know theres great stuff coming soon but we've now had months of just the crappy walking dead that nobody on here even loves anymore. Yeah im bitter. I rely on bald move to cover great tv and the americans is great tv.

Americans back tonight! Love it but cant wait for the bald move recap of..... ooo wait i forgot. Why is this show not covered anymore again? I mean i know theres great stuff coming soon but we've now had months of just the crappy walking dead that nobody on here even loves anymore. Yeah im bitter. I rely on bald move to cover great tv and the americans is great tv.

If they don't like it, it's better if they don't cover it IMO. It's hard to listen to a podcast where people are hating on a show you love.

Angie Kritenbrink

• DeeDee Adelaide

Americans back tonight! Love it but cant wait for the bald move recap of..... ooo wait i forgot. Why is this show not covered anymore again? I mean i know theres great stuff coming soon but we've now had months of just the crappy walking dead that nobody on here even loves anymore. Yeah im bitter. I rely on bald move to cover great tv and the americans is great tv.

From memory, A.Ron didn't like the storylines last season and didn't want to watch it anymore. It bums me out too, but if you're not feeling it, you can't fake it, I guess.

We can just podcast about it here. LOL

Angie Kritenbrink

• It was a good start off to the season. Almost a perfect mix of home drama and spy drama/action. As always I'm looking forward to see how things unfold.
    Elisaakritenbrink
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    Oh Stan you pathetic sad sack. I appreciate his character is consistent in this way. Keep on keeping on desperately with the ladies, at least it's at the gym. Although this kind of train wreck home life seems to lead to sharp counter intelligence work.

And wow Elizabeth never ceases to be the ruthless one. Wasted Hans reflexively and that was a loss I felt since we've been with him awhile and his whole espionage career.

I imagine this "defector" of Pasha's dad just makes her blood boil.
    Elisa
    Sooo i have a friend who enjoys getting shows in other ways than normal... so i got to watch the episode. I thiught it kept in line with the show. The Tuan storyline i didnt expect but i thought it worked.

Hans was a waste but goodbye to a terrible South African accent. I lived in Joburg for a year so when i here a bad one it gets my blood boiling, not quite like a bad Australian accent but close. He isnt top 3 of bad South African accents
    3. Leo in Blood Diamond
    2. Daniel Craig in Munich

And drum roll please

1. Richard Roxburgh in Mission Impossible 2.

The creators must also be pretty confident in themselves with only 20 episodes left in the whole series to do a 7 minute digging scene but i think they nailed it. Great start to the season
    Elisaakritenbrinkmanhattnik
    Im also pretty sure my sister had that exact same Espirit shirt Paige was wearing
    TheEconomist
  • I actually found this opening episode rather slow.  I mean, do we really need a scene about the son being nervous going through passport control?  Do we need to spend 5-10 min of digging a hole in the ground? 

What I did find interesting is what exactly are they planning to do with the Russian family?  Are they out to extract info on what the Russian dad is telling the Americans?  Are they trying to recruit Pasha into becoming an agent?  I enjoyed how Elizabeth and Phillip did have to sit there at dinner and listen to the Russian dad rail against the USSR.

Oleg's story could have be interesting if his father is somehow implicated in the corruption that he's suppose to be investigating.

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    What I gather is that the Russian defector works for the us agriculture dept and they are helping ruin or spoil the Russian crops which Oleg is investigating with the KGB.
  • I actually found this opening episode rather slow.  I mean, do we really need a scene about the son being nervous going through passport control?  Do we need to spend 5-10 min of digging a hole in the ground? 

What I did find interesting is what exactly are they planning to do with the Russian family?  Are they out to extract info on what the Russian dad is telling the Americans?  Are they trying to recruit Pasha into becoming an agent?  I enjoyed how Elizabeth and Phillip did have to sit there at dinner and listen to the Russian dad rail against the USSR.

Oleg's story could have be interesting if his father is somehow implicated in the corruption that he's suppose to be investigating.

Is this your first time watching the show? ;) they have always done details like digging and his son making his way to see his father.
    Elisaakritenbrink
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited March 8
    KingKobra said:

I actually found this opening episode rather slow.  I mean, do we really need a scene about the son being nervous going through passport control?  Do we need to spend 5-10 min of digging a hole in the ground? 

Is this your first time watching the show? ;) they have always done details like digging and his son making his way to see his father.
    @dochielomn
    Yeah I thought the passport control scene was to illustrate when you live in a country where you have to get interrogated and an exit visa just to leave then this place sucks and is something totally foreign to Westerners.

Also the digging to me was to illustrate just how much this job sucks. They could've gone home but instead they're digging holes all night to have the chance to expose themselves to biological weapons. I'm sure that wasn't in the KGB brochure.
    KingKobraElisa
    A lesser show would done the typical quick montage for the hole digging. I love that the show deglamorizes espionage and shows the tedious process of P&E's work. Sometimes it's horrifying like breaking a woman's body down to fit into a suitcase; sometimes it's just exhausting like digging a hole to retrieve a tissue sample from a fallen comrade. Then there's also the bleak metaphor of digging themselves into a hole. I was mesmerized the entire time.

KingKobraTheEconomistElisaakritenbrinkelgat0
  • Elizabeth is a cold blooded killer - if Paige figures that out - game over.  Half way there.
    Elisamanhattnik
    tom_g said:

Elizabeth is a cold blooded killer - if Paige figures that out - game over.  Half way there.

That's one way of looking at it. Elizabeth is colder than Philip, but I don't think she is "cold blooded." She clearly loves her family; she is just more of a believer and a patriot than Philip is. Her killing Hans was a mercy kill. She looked to Philip first, and he nodded his agreement. Philip has killed more people than Elizabeth. He just wears his emotions on his sleeve more than she does. When Matthew Rhys does that lip curl, it always frightens me because it reminds me of that simmering rage beneath the surface. Elizabeth is better at compartmentalizing, but her cracks really started to show last season. I'm curious to see how working with Tuan, who is unnerving in the way Lucia was, will affect her feelings about Paige getting deeper into the spy business, and also how the defector will affect her feelings about the Soviet Union taking care of its own people.

I really like how they've assigned the typical male role to Elizabeth (the calm, ruthless, professional patriot/soldier), and the typical female role to Philip (emotional, empathetic, and compassionate). I always wonder how much of the fan criticism of Elizabeth (not necessarily here, but many fans describe her as evil and/or a terrible mother) is due to Elizabeth not conforming to American gender norms.
    TheEconomistElisamanhattnikDee
  • I've definitely been watching the show from the start in season 1.  And while maybe other tedious things I can tolerate, this I found to be slow and boring.  Especially for a season opener.  Maybe 3rd or 4th episode into a season when they're building stuff up but watching them dig a hole and Phillip's son have to go through passport control, I just felt was wasted time that could have had us watching other parts of the story. 

Also though, why the Americans didn't cremate that scientist guy and actually buried him is beyond me.  I would have figured because he had that deadly virus or bacteria or whatever it technically was that they would have disposed of his body to leave no trace of the potential bio-weapon.  Unless they buried him there so if they wanted to use it later they would have a means to retrieve it.