The Expanse- Season 1- Spoilers

Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
edited March 8 in Other TV
Well, that's the best science fiction season I've ever seen (note never saw BSG).  Did this thing get any press last year when it was actually on?  

Those last few episodes on Eros Station were not what I was expecting.  It was already fairly dark before they all got there and boy, did it just keep on going.

Gonna start season 2 now.
Jovial_FalconElisaphoenyx1023

Comments

• It got muted press as does most sci-fi. It's very similar to BSG "feeling" wise.
    Elisa
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    There are times when I thought season 1 dragged but season two is full throttle mild pun intended.
    KingKobramwspiak
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    For season 1- a couple of things I was thinking about?

1- Did the Anubis accidentally get contaminated by that commander woman who was telling everyone what to do about Julie Mao when she came on board?  We never actually find out why the stuff showed up on the Anubis in Season 1, right?

2- Dawes/OPA dude and Julie Mao knew about the bio weapon they were trying to intercept.  That was the whole point of the Scoppuli's mission, right?  So, Julie Mao is a serious loose end for everyone involved.  Doesn't Dawes need to pick her up and/or kill her out of general principles?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles

For season 1- a couple of things I was thinking about?

2- Dawes/OPA dude and Julie Mao knew about the bio weapon they were trying to intercept.  That was the whole point of the Scoppuli's mission, right?  So, Julie Mao is a serious loose end for everyone involved.  Doesn't Dawes need to pick her up and/or kill her out of general principles?
    The Anubis captured Julie Mao and her crew and experimented on them using the protomolecule and so they got infected that way.  

Yes both Dawes and Julie Mao knew about the bio weapon.  I don't think Dawes can kill her because she is techincally dead now.  Remember Holden and crew found Julie Mao in the bathroom on Eros at the Hotel at the end of S1.  She died from exposure to the protomolecule.

KingKobra
    edited March 9
    I thought that commander who was coughing and "felt hot" knew who Julie Mao was and it was hands off Mao because of who she was.

I meant that Mao was complaining in the flashback, sitting in front of the TV in that hotel watching Dawes, that she sent word to him, and he never came and got her...

"Yes both Dawes and Julie Mao knew about the bio weapon.  I don't think Dawes can kill her because she is techincally dead now.  Remember Holden and crew found Julie Mao in the bathroom on Eros at the Hotel at the end of S1.  She died from exposure to the protomolecule."

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Pierre Mao - Julie's rich dad intentionally infected his daughter. He is the owner of protogen.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Just about finished season one (only the finale left).

Liking the series enough to continue, but not loving it yet.

Really didn't like Miller (Thomas Jane)'s character at the beginning, but coming around on him now.
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Elisa said:

Pierre Mao - Julie's rich dad intentionally infected his daughter. He is the owner of protogen.

Re-watching 1.09 (I think I fell asleep towards the end last night) and I don't think that's right.  That one guy informed Pierre Mao that his daughter was infected (after she was discovered in the Blue Falcon bathtub) and asked to continue the experiment anyway, and Pierre agreed, but with tears streaming down his face.

Maybe my opinion will change by the end of the season, or when I am caught up with season 2 though.
    Elisa
    edited March 13
    @Cory Yeah, that's what I think as well.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Pierre Mao cried yes but he is still an evil bastard.
    edited March 14
    @Cory Though if you go with our interpretation of the Maos, what happened to Julie is still weird. That female commander with the cough knew who Julie Mao was and was going to be hands off with her. Then all of a sudden she's left locked on the infected ship. Something happened. I'm not sure Julie Mao was supposed to be left on that ship. I wonder if the ship was accidentally infected.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Elisa said:

Pierre Mao cried yes but he is still an evil bastard.

Yeah, I never thought he wasn't an evil bastard, I just didn't get the impression that he intentionally infected her, or that she was meant to be infected.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

@Cory Though if you go with our interpretation of the Maos, what happened to Julie is still weird. That female commander with the cough knew who Julie Mao was and was going to be hands off with her. Then all of a sudden she's left locked on the infected ship. Something happened. I'm. It sure Julie Mao was supposed to be left on that ship. I wonder if the ship was accidentally infected.

Yes, perhaps she was meant to be left on the ship, and picked up to be returned to her parents.  Or the Anubis was going to return her, but the ship was accidentally infected.

I thought she got infected after she "escaped" and was the only one on the ship, and she put her hand on the blood smear on the bulkhead of the ship.  When she's discovered in the hotel, the guy (Tomas from Orphan Black) who works for her father said to another guy not to touch it if it's wet.

I still need to see the finale and catch up with S2 though, so I might gain more information then.  I think I was spoiled one one thing though (by looking up something), but I don't want to say what it is in here in case anyone else is reading who hasn't seen ahead.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The ship was not accidentally infected. It was a planned experiment.
  • edited March 14
    Yeah, season 2 gets even better. I love this show so much.

And Mao didn't intentionally infect his daughter. Julie and the OPA hijacked/attacked the Anubis and got infected, but Julie survived and escaped to Eros, where she died.
  • @darwinfeeshy That's backwards actually. The Anubis is the stealth Earth/Protogen ship; it attacked and boarded the Scopuli that Julie Mao was a crewmember of, took them all back to the Anubis and used the Scopuli as bait and destroyed the Canterbury when it responded to the distress signal trap they set on it. Someone was infected though and it killed both crews; she survived because she was in locked away in isolation, but got infected after breaking out and setting up the emergency signal and tethering the Anubis to the asteroid before escaping on a shuttle.

Her parents are definitely evil fucks but there's no way they could have known she was on the Scopuli; they knew of the mounting dangers of course because they were masterminding it so when she refused to come home on her own they hired Miller to find her and bring her back.
    TheEconomistdarwinfeeshyphoenyx1023Doctor_Nick

• @Elisa The ship actually was accidentally infected. The intentional experiments were on Phoebe station and then Eros.
    Doctor_Nick

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Currently watching 2.03.

Just wondering about the podcast about The Expanse.  Does it cover only S1 or does it include all of S2 that had aired up to that point as well?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Sorry guys I keep mixing up the books and show. Plus my memory is suspect. My bad.
  • Cory said:

Currently watching 2.03.

Just wondering about the podcast about The Expanse.  Does it cover only S1 or does it include all of S2 that had aired up to that point as well?
    Most of season 1 some of season 2 I think. It's a short ~30min discussion. I believe they are doing a follow up on the next BMTV as well.
    CoryElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks @KingKobra, I'll wait until I get caught up first, then.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think the podcast with just me and Cecily was recorded after we'd seen like 8 episodes of season one.  If you're on the third ep of season 2 you'll be safe.

The episode where it's me, Jim, and Levi is through episode 207.  Which is available now.  http://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/zack-snyder-baby-driver-and-the-expanse/
    ElisaCory
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Really enjoying the podcast and insight. I wish you guys could cover every episode.
    phoenyx1023
  • CoryCory New Scotland

I think the podcast with just me and Cecily was recorded after we'd seen like 8 episodes of season one.  If you're on the third ep of season 2 you'll be safe.

The episode where it's me, Jim, and Levi is through episode 207.  Which is available now.  http://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/zack-snyder-baby-driver-and-the-expanse/
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I was only aware of the episode where it is you, @Jim and Levi.

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find the one of A_Ron and Cecily?  Thanks in advance!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory It was the Bald Move TV one from 25th Feb - the one that discussed Girls and Always Sunny.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks @Dee
    Dee