Moonlight (contains spoilers)

edited March 2017 in Movies
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited March 2017
    That's a great point about feeling tension over his reunion with Kevin because you didn't know if he was looking to reconnect or to get revenge, I never looked at it that way, for some reason I always assumed that he was going back for 'positive' reasons rather than negative ones.

A few things I really liked about the movie were the little ways that his sexuality was shown in the Little and Chiron years. Though he gets bullied as so many unfortunately do, he never actually denies that he is gay when his tormentors are goading him, and when he cries in front of his teacher after being attacked, the teacher talks to him as if it is pretty much open and common knowledge which is quite different to most of the coming of age sexuality stories out there. It makes the final scene of the movie even more heartbreaking when he reveals that the only intimate experience of his life was what we witnessed on the beach, like he just completely shut that part of himself off due to the trauma of the events.

Every time I watch a movie like this I always come away thankful at how my own experience has been. Being a gay girl in school in the 2000s was no big deal, if anything it made me more popular in a weird way, but there were still a few gay guys who appeared to suffer at the hands of other boys. It's a sad reminder that men too can suffer at the hands of patriarchy. Put together Chiron's gay experience and his African American experience and you have one hell of a powerful story.

ElisajazzminawaJoshKrist
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 2017
    That's what needs to be said over and over, patriarchy , toxic masculinity - it hurts men too. It is a rigid vestigial holdover from evolution but because so many men can benefit from it, it endures. However, if you are a man that falls just a fraction outside the lines for what makes a "strong" man, you suffer from it. Whenever i encounter men that say they are not feminist, or they don't support feminism I always ask them, what exaclty are losing if you are a feminist?

JoshKristamyja89phoenyx1023jazzminawa
  • I thought Moonlight was the best movie of the year, and nothing else I saw was even close (I must admit I didn't watch La La Land because I hate musicals, but I saw just about every other contender). I'm not afraid to admit that Moonlight brought me to tears a couple times. I'm a straight man, but the movie really was able to pull at emotions, notable Chiron's pain and fear about who he was. Mahershala Ali as Juan stole the spotlight in every scene he was in, and I found his story just as sad and heatbreaking as Chiron's.  

I also thought the camera work was just excellent, there was so many shots that were just beautiful. From all of the little kids running, to the scene swimming in the water, and the fight scene just to name a few. There were so many moments that were just spectacular visually.

One of my childhood friends had a mother similar to Chiron's, and  it definitely resonated with me in a way I can't really describe. I lost touch with that friend in our teenage years, but I'd see him occasionally through high school and drugs and crime had ended up getting the better of him. I'm glad that in Chiron's case, his mother was able to eventually clean herself up, but I can't help but think of all of those parents out there that never do and the pain and suffering it causes their children. 

phoenyx1023jazzminawa
  • Yeah, I only got anxious and vunerable from the Black-Kevin scenes, never felt that particular tension.

Really really well done film. So glad it got the recognition it deserved.

It also made me remember I never got around to seeing Pariah (2011), so that's next on my list.

• edited March 2017
    I figured that if Chiron was going to get revenge on Kevin he would have done it when they were in high school. Instead he directed his anger at the bully who pressured Kevin into betraying him rather than Kevin himself. He didn't seem to hold what happened against him, plus the dream he has of Kevin as an adult (and his reaction to it) indicated that he still had feelings for him.

One thing I didn't get though is why the bully pushed Kevin to attack Chiron in the first place. How did he figure out that they were a thing? Or was it just mere coincidence that he picked out Chiron?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.