Podcasting help

Hi All -

I was wondering if the community/Jim+ARon might be able to provide some advice for me. I currently have a podcast on my website, and my partner has a Skype Call Recorder that we typically use. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good Skype Call recorder for Windows (my partner has a Mac and his recorder is only compatible with Mac software).

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Comments

• I usually record our podcast with both co-hosts "in the studio" but once we needed to record remotely via Skype.  I used MP3 Skype Recorder (http://voipcallrecording.com/) and it worked very well.  It was free and easy to use.

If you want to hear the quality, this was the episode we used this software: http://dropyourbuffs.com/21-episode-13
    RossB
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I had to laugh to myself at, I think, the last lunch, the guys mentioned - as they have many times in the past - in starting a podcast - do a bunch before you start to worry about people listening.

I started one a while back and, through various circumstances, I had lined up a Chicago sports radio legend that was willing to do the podcast on episode 10.  Stressed me the hell out.  Turned out pretty well, got a ton of new listeners, and we got some local publicity because he hadn't broadcast much of anything in 8-12 months.

But, I really wish I knew what I was doing better before it came to that.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    There aren't any Microsoft based skype call recorders that I could recommend.  I've tried 3 different ones, and they all have shortcomings, there wasn't one killer one that could do all that I wanted and that worked flawlessly.  The one your partner uses is the one that everyone recommends, but as you say, it's mac only.

The best thing to do is record both ends separately, then combine them later.  Even the best skype call suffers from poor audio quality.  By recording both ends, you get to have your remote cast, but have the sound be as good as if you were in the same room.  Helps any leveling problems, too.
  • There aren't any Microsoft based skype call recorders that I could recommend.  I've tried 3 different ones, and they all have shortcomings, there wasn't one killer one that could do all that I wanted and that worked flawlessly.  The one your partner uses is the one that everyone recommends, but as you say, it's mac only.

The best thing to do is record both ends separately, then combine them later.  Even the best skype call suffers from poor audio quality.  By recording both ends, you get to have your remote cast, but have the sound be as good as if you were in the same room.  Helps any leveling problems, too.

Thank you ARon. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind walking me through how you record the Legion podcast? I am curious what software you use. Since it is your job I know it will be the higher end/premium, but I would be nice to use a reference point for me to dig in deeper for my own research to try and find what works for our podcast.

• The one I use is ifree skype recorder it's a green one, has some nice things in terms of controls
    RossB said:

There aren't any Microsoft based skype call recorders that I could recommend.  I've tried 3 different ones, and they all have shortcomings, there wasn't one killer one that could do all that I wanted and that worked flawlessly.  The one your partner uses is the one that everyone recommends, but as you say, it's mac only.

Thank you ARon. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind walking me through how you record the Legion podcast? I am curious what software you use. Since it is your job I know it will be the higher end/premium, but I would be nice to use a reference point for me to dig in deeper for my own research to try and find what works for our podcast.

Yeah, so Jason and me and Jim get on the skype call, and both ends of us open our DAW (we both use Audition, but you could use audacity or whatever), and press record.  Then, Jim starts a countdown from 10, and him and Jason take turns with the count down, so Jason says "nine", jim says "eight", etc.

When you see the two wave forms, it looks like this.

___/\___/\___/\___/\
    _/\___/\___/\___/\___

Where each peak is obviously somebody saying a number.  Once you have this, you slide the tracks around until the peaks and valleys meet up like zipping up a zipper, like what it looks like above.  Viola, you've achieved syncronization!  You can edit the tracks now, but you have to remember you can't delete from one and not the other, or you'll lose your sync.  Or if you want to delete from one track, because Skype farts or someone coughs or whatever, you can, but you have to leave the space so they don't unsync.

If you find your tracks are slowly losing sync over time.  For example, everything matches up at first, but ten minutes in things are slightly off, 20 minutes they're really off, and an hour later there's a 5 second delay or whatever, you probably are recording at a different frequency, like one of your tracks is 4400hz and the other if 4800hz or whatnot.  Make sure you always record with the same settings to avoid this, cause otherwise you have to go in and manually resync the track ever few minutes.

Make sense?
    RossBDrKenDummyPavkey88
  • RossB said:

Yeah, so Jason and me and Jim get on the skype call, and both ends of us open our DAW (we both use Audition, but you could use audacity or whatever), and press record.  Then, Jim starts a countdown from 10, and him and Jason take turns with the count down, so Jason says "nine", jim says "eight", etc.

When you see the two wave forms, it looks like this.

___/\___/\___/\___/\
    _/\___/\___/\___/\___

Where each peak is obviously somebody saying a number.  Once you have this, you slide the tracks around until the peaks and valleys meet up like zipping up a zipper, like what it looks like above.  Viola, you've achieved syncronization!  You can edit the tracks now, but you have to remember you can't delete from one and not the other, or you'll lose your sync.  Or if you want to delete from one track, because Skype farts or someone coughs or whatever, you can, but you have to leave the space so they don't unsync.

If you find your tracks are slowly losing sync over time.  For example, everything matches up at first, but ten minutes in things are slightly off, 20 minutes they're really off, and an hour later there's a 5 second delay or whatever, you probably are recording at a different frequency, like one of your tracks is 4400hz and the other if 4800hz or whatnot.  Make sure you always record with the same settings to avoid this, cause otherwise you have to go in and manually resync the track ever few minutes.

Make sense?

Awesome, thanks for all your help. You have without a doubt saved me from a ton of trial and error. As just a part time podcaster it can be super stressful when you are using junk software, or just knowing that the product you are producing is subpar because even you cant stand the sound quality.

Again I appreciate all your help!

No problem.  I've spent lots of hours strugging with junk equipment and software.  Hell, we still have junk cameras we struggle with, because we're trying to jump from consumer to pro and that shit is expen$$$ive.