713 - "Bury Me Here"

Director: Alrick Riley

Didn't see a thread for this yet, (please pardon if there is one and it isn't showing up for me). Besides some less than stellar dialogue, thought it was a good episode. Since there are only 3 episodes left, it seems they will ramp things up heavily (I hope).

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm just watching now - even though I knew that kid was 100% dead after getting so much camera time, it was still sad.

What's with that saviour guy who always looks super fed up with his job? This isn't Office Space, mate.
    manhattnik
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited March 2017
    I'm glad I two screen experience this show with the Bald Move live watch now. It's about the only thing that makes it bearable.

What the fuck is with the exchange this week? It makes zero fucking sense period. It is not worth the Saviors time and increasingly precious gas to make a highly emotionally charged and potentially dangerous exchange for 12 fucking cantaloupes. Same for the Kingdom. Unless Negan got some random craving for cantaloupe and even that's stupid.

The only genuinely interesting thing that happened was Morgan's hallucinations and near meltdown. I'm curious if his "clear" insanity has always lurked just beneath the surface and his strict adherence to not killing Morgalizing is the only thing that keep him sane but just barely so. He acted so calm and collected recently but I wonder now if that was performative and he was always one spark away from "clear" at any time.
    S. SmithWa1kingDistancemanhattnikvoodoorat
  • I'm glad I two screen experience this show with the Bald Move live watch now. It's about the only thing that makes it bearable.

What the fuck is with the exchange this week? It makes zero fucking sense period. It is not worth the Saviors time and increasingly precious gas to make a highly emotionally charged and potentially dangerous exchange for 12 fucking cantaloupes. Same for the Kingdom. Unless Negan got some random craving for cantaloupe and even that's stupid.

The only genuinely interesting thing that happened was Morgan's hallucinations and near meltdown. I'm curious if his "clear" insanity has always lurked just beneath the surface and his strict adherence to not killing Morgalizing is the only thing that keep him sane but just barely so. He acted so calm and collected recently but I wonder now if that was performative and he was always one spark away from "clear" at any time.

Yeah, the 12 cantaloupes thing... They couldn't figure out how to make a drop where something could easily go missing, but yet could easily be noticed. Just goes to show you that level of wonderful writing we get with this show. 

"The kid's dead..." Thanks for spelling it out for us bud, not like we couldn't tell that you understood from the look on your face. 

Other than that I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure killing Richard was the wisest decision, it seems like every time they give us enough of a character to actually make them meaningful they just kill them off. It's like you can't have character development for anyone but the main cast, and if for some reason you do some backstory of a non-main cast member than they are 100% likely to die very soon. 
    manhattnik
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 2017
    Morgan kept asking Benjamin who the girl he was infatuated with was and unless I don't remember seeing the actual girl, was it Carol? Did the young man have the hots for the gray cougar?

EDIT: Now there is a tiger AND a cougar living in The Kingdom......Okay, I'll see myself out.
    manhattnikDoubleA_RonTaraC73Melonusk
  • At least the writing was half way descent in this episode. The conversations between Carol and Morgan were pretty great and realistic. The conversation between Morgan and Richard was just dumb and repetitive, I wish they could be a little more consistent.
    Murderbear
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Why do the Kingdom people keep on bringing weapons to their meetings with the Saviours when they've already seen that all their guns are good for is getting confiscated?
    TheEconomistvoodoorat
    We better get to see Jerry use that axe on a Savior at some point!
    TheEconomistMichelle
    Also, I'm pre-cringing on the idea of what it looks like when CGI Shiva attacks someone. It's gonna be rough.
    manhattnik
  • Holy shit!! Did that episode of TWD actually just make sense?!?
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    From the likes of that final scene, it looks like Carol is up for Mommy duty yet again...
  • MichelleMichelle California
    So. many. commercials.    Seeing Morgan lose his shit and watching Carol begin to make a comeback made it all worth it though.  They need to unite in their kickassery and whoop some Savior ass!!!
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Ya know, how do The Saviors communicate to The Kingdom what and how much they want delivered?  Both groups just seem to show up to the meeting place with an agreed upon amount of antelope or pigs or whatever.

Unless Ezekiel has a radio, or carrier pigeon/raven or something, that The Saviors use to communicate with him.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Damn I need to rewatch the scene... I thought the painting was a Dreamcatcher LOL!!!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Maybe when they make their exchange for the week, they get a list of what they need for the next week.
    We just never see that list get handed over because it's just not interesting.

But, you know, that's the world we live in now.  That's how the world works now.  :)
    manhattnikvoodoorat
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2017
    I don't get why the saviours go to the hilltop and to Alexandria but the Kingdom has a designated meeting place with them. How do they know the Kingdom is giving them half their stuff?
  • If you are the mac daddy bad ass community - you make them bring the tribute to you.  Just sayin.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    tom_g said:

If you are the mac daddy bad ass community - you make them bring the tribute to you.  Just sayin.

But they don't do that with the others - they lob up there and poke around in houses and rooms and take whatever they fancy in addition to the half supply. Whiskey from the Hilltop, mattresses and furniture from Alexandria, etc. It doesn't make sense they wouldn't do the same with the Kingdom.

• I think its the Manager (the one who Negan has ostensibly put in charge) being lazy/smart.

If the Kingdom is bringing him reliable offerings and he isn't having to do anything but show up and receive them, he is head and shoulders above the other groups.   If Zeke was quick enough in *offering* fealty to Negan, he may have gotten off with only one person getting their head bashed in and a promise of future tribute.  Negan left further obeisance to Tapioca.

Tapioca is probably turning in more goods more reliably and with less whining to Negan than Hilltop and Alexandria.  And when you push too hard you wind up with the origins of the Seaside group (bet that manager isn't doing so good these days).  Negan probably puts a little gold star next to Tapioca's name on the chore chart every week.

Consider it, what other group in this situation is gaining and growing more resources?  I would imagine that Negan thinks Tapioca is bleeding the Kingdom dry, and yet still managing to push goods up the ladder.  He is probably getting to keep more for his subgroup doing it this way, than burning and pillaging every other month.

If you have a goose laying golden eggs you don't screw with it unless it bites you or stops laying.  He says he didn't "sign onto this deal for all this stress" (or something, not looking it up) so without the constant irritation he has the group he wants.

I think jerk-face, however, wants to go raiding through the Kingdom, and is trying to provoke some shit.  That's why he shot Ben.  He wants the situation to escalate so he can steal bacon and burn mattresses.
  • I'm fucking over it man. It's dragging out too much-- Morgan's motives don't make sense. Ok so he kills now. Way to go, you killed off their best fighter. I don't know why this episode infuriated me so much; more so than any episode I've seen. I'm just tired of watching week after week without anything happening. Carol doesn't make sense to me, Morgan doesn't make sense to me, the fucking trash people don't make sense to me. Richard didn't need to die, what he did wasn't egregious. I just don't get it. Someone care to explain this to me?
    manhattnik
  • edited March 2017
    gguenot said:

I'm fucking over it man. It's dragging out too much-- Morgan's motives don't make sense. Ok so he kills now. Way to go, you killed off their best fighter. I don't know why this episode infuriated me so much; more so than any episode I've seen. I'm just tired of watching week after week without anything happening. Carol doesn't make sense to me, Morgan doesn't make sense to me, the fucking trash people don't make sense to me. Richard didn't need to die, what he did wasn't egregious. I just don't get it. Someone care to explain this to me?

He caused the wrongful death of an innocent kid. Morgan knows how the survivors treat those who go against the group. Richard wasn't going to stop and most likely get someone else killed needlessly. So Morgan basically killed two birds with one stone. He showed that The Kingdom isn't so meek AND that they are willing to sacrifice their own to get the point across. The survivors "lead" guy is not really survivor material (IMO) he is more talk than action, this shook him up too.

As far as the rest, it seems you may be in a bad mindset OR maybe you just don't like the show (which is OK). Personally it seems a waste to me to continue to watch something that would aggravates me so much. Maybe finish out the season and reevaluate :). The guys do a bunch of podcasts for other shows and if anything you can just listen to the casts to see if you want to jump back in. If it's just posssibly outside negative influence, maybe a rewatch when things get normalized. People seem to forget this has always been a soap opera with zombies, so we will have "a lot" of nothing ;)
    Melia004Michelle
  • Morgan: Clear. Here's not here. Dead wife. Dead kid. Pain. Death. Angry. Shouty shouty. Must... kill... self...

Nah, I'll just kick this recycling box instead.

Kela15
  • I am actually taken aback, not at how this episode was received, but at how stuck on every detail so many people seem to be... Did the quality level fluctuate recently? No, it's been slowly, painfully drawn out and clumsy for years. It's been so on the nose about presenting anything and everything FOR YEARS. Can we at least appreciate something finally happening in the plot?

Look, I know TWD is very, very, very far from perfect, but why even watch it without having the appropriate expectation of how craptacular it always is? The offering is stupid, tapioca face is awful, etc., etc. What extra has ever not been awful? A guy that has watched Negan murder fellow Saviors probably wouldn't be terribly comfortable becoming the monster, right? Morgan and Richard, as hilarious as the scene might have seemed viewed a certain way, DISCUSSED how Richard wanted to die to spur Zeke into action, AND how it had to seem real to the Saviors that the Kingdom were compliant. Beating Richard to death in front of Tapioca maybe accomplished that...?

All due respect, but some of you guys are starting to come off as so totally biased against TWD that it seems like you can't watch it with any objectivity...
    gjulleenMichelle
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @Melia004 To be fair the show is often objectively bad. What you're saying is we should grade it on a TWD curve. I disagree. That's not objective. But to your point it doesn't mean you watch the show with knives outs sharpening them between commercial breaks.

I think people are just hitting breaking points for a show they used to like. This is very old tv model where you ride your hit show season after season until it's run into the ground and it bleeds off viewers and critics. They clearly have run out of their already flimsy bag of tricks and it's getting repetitive in no longer a fun way with the cheap gimmicks, beating a dead horse characterization, shaky writing, and excessive slow playing of plot.
    gguenot
  • @TheEconomist i think you hit it on the head. I was watching tonight and just hit my limit. I don't think it was the worst episode of TWD, but for some reason it annoyed me the most. none of the deaths were impactful, and the story has gotten to the point where you know what's going to happen and where it's headed it just a like a toddler taking its sweet ass time and finding every possible distraction along the way
    @Melia004 I think you're right about Morgan and Richard but I still think Ezekiel was wayyyyyyy too cool with some guy who has only been around a few weeks (?) and has been preaching nonviolence the whole time clearly snaps and straight up murders his number one dude without really providing evidence. They have lots of rules and procedures and even though it probably accomplished what you said it did, nobody else knew about that plan and it just seems odd that suddenly they all just let it go. I know Morgan snapped at him and he meant business but still, "you murdered my dude. We need to talk."
  • I know I'm in the weak minority of people who still enjoy this show.  I enjoyed Breaking Bad and Mad Men, I am capable of appreciating fine drama.  

But you know what?  I also like Once Upon A Time.  I enjoy Grimm.  And I like the Walking Dead.

I know its schlocky.  I know there is ham-fisted writing.  I know in places you grimace from the clumsiness.

But I don't always want to feel every death like I did in Breaking Bad.  I don't always want to have stakes in the life of someone self destructive like in Mad Men.  Sometimes I want the show to tell me 'this death is meaningful' and to just go with it.

I drink protein shakes and eat roasted vegetables with baked lemon chicken.  I drink a hot glass of ginger water twice a day.  Every now and then I want to go out and eat ice cream and not worry about it.  Just enjoy the experience.

So I don't know that you can say the show is 'objectively bad.'  I'm not trying to start an online quarrel over terminology.  But 'good' and 'bad' in entertainment isn't objective.  Maybe that's overly simplistic, maybe 'good' is objective and you can quantify it with good writing and acting.  But entertainment's goal is to entertain.  Walking Dead is entertaining to me and millions of other people.  I think that makes it good at its goal.  

If you opt out, I don't blame you.  I opted out of Sopranos after one particular death that was just too much for me.  It wasn't because the show was bad, it was because it wasn't entertaining me anymore, it was just emotionally wounding me (granted, I was in my teens back then and I think you feel that stuff more).  But, if you continue to watch, try to just go with it.

Stop looking for the nutritional value in the ice cream.  Sure, it has some protein.  Maybe even some calcium.  But in the case of ice cream that isn't the point.  Get your nutrition from health food and just enjoy (in moderation) junk food.
  • @gjulleen i hear your health food analogy but TWD is wanting to be considered on the same caliber of drama as Breaking Bad. It would be like the ice cream you enjoy on your cheat day touts its self "as healthy as grilled chicken and roasted veggies". TWD is in this weird limbo of wanting to be top quality TV, but the writers and directors just seem to be phoning it in
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Havne't listened to the podcast yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be very negative, and rightfully so. Aside from the idiotic plot, the story only progressed half an inch and it's so obvious that they are stalling. 

-Mr. Ass crack Nose somehow did not account for the fact that the history with Negans group says that the person who committed the offense or offers themselves as sacrifice for the offense is rarely the one who gets Negan'd. It does not matter that they alluded to him getting the bullet next time there was an issue. Although if he had gotten a bullet to the leg, there's still a decent chance he would have survived, which would have nullified his entire plan.

--The guy who is playing the part of the Negans Foreman for their weekly shipment meetups with the Kingdom is so terribly inconsistent. He acts somewhat fair at times and praises Ezekiel for always being on time and having their promised amounts each week. But then he doesn't say anything to that crazy asshole who constantly tries to pick fights with Ezekiels men for no apparent reason. In essence, his own men aren't upholding their end of the agreement and it's not coming directly from Negan to act like that. So to be consistent, you would think he would have already yanked the chain on his wild dog way back when he first started picking fights with Ezekiels men. 
    Add to that, why in the hell was the foreman mad at crazy asshole for doing exactly what he asked him to do once he found out the kid died of his wounds?

-On that note, I don't understand why they shot the kid in the leg in an attempt to wound him? We haven't seen that in the Negan playbook yet. Usually it's "if we say we're going to kill someone next time you fuck up, then we're really going to kill someone". 
    Had the foreman already told crazy asshole to shoot the kid in the leg if they had to punish Ezekiel for anything? Or did crazy asshole call an audible and randomly decide to wound him in the leg instead of shooting him in the head?
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Also, I think they are literally pulling people off the street for some of their small speaking roles. I know a lot of it is just bad dialogue by the writers, but some of the delivery is bad too.
  • --The guy who is playing the part of the Negans Foreman for their weekly shipment meetups with the Kingdom is so terribly inconsistent. He acts somewhat fair at times and praises Ezekiel for always being on time and having their promised amounts each week. But then he doesn't say anything to that crazy asshole who constantly tries to pick fights with Ezekiels men for no apparent reason. In essence, his own men aren't upholding their end of the agreement and it's not coming directly from Negan to act like that. So to be consistent, you would think he would have already yanked the chain on his wild dog way back when he first started picking fights with Ezekiels men. 
    Add to that, why in the hell was the foreman mad at crazy asshole for doing exactly what he asked him to do once he found out the kid died of his wounds?

-On that note, I don't understand why they shot the kid in the leg in an attempt to wound him? We haven't seen that in the Negan playbook yet. Usually it's "if we say we're going to kill someone next time you fuck up, then we're really going to kill someone". 
    Had the foreman already told crazy asshole to shoot the kid in the leg if they had to punish Ezekiel for anything? Or did crazy asshole call an audible and randomly decide to wound him in the leg instead of shooting him in the head?
    I think he was supposed to kill Richard.  He went off script because he is wanting to cause trouble.  My personal theory is that he is trying to cause a reason for them to ransack the Kingdom like the other groups have raided Alexandria and presumably Hilltop.

I think the foreman (whom I call Tapioca) just wants his ship to run smoothly.  He may not be able to leave that guy alone back wherever they are based (he is probably a troublemaker) so just keeps him with him to cut down on even more drama.  Which would be awesome in a throw-away line ("why do we bring that guy?"  "better than leaving him alone to cause trouble.")