Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Bananas. I am not someone who is entirely closed off to reboots. But a movie that is widely held as great and in many ways a perfect sci-fi/action movie...like what more is there to say unless they go in a different direction. In which case, why make it a Matrix reboot?
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    This is a terrible idea and I will absolutely pay money to see it in theaters.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited March 15

No matter what you think about the matrix it defined a genre and movie making for at least a decade. YOU CAN'T RECREATE THAT. You have make something new. There are so many old sci-fi movies out that were great in theory but didn't have the budget or effects to make it work. I would totally be up for movies like that to be remade. But this is just ridiculous. 
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 15
    I think they make the good point that having a franchise universe like Star Wars or Marvel is a license to print money, and that may be why The Matrix is being rebooted, so it can continue on as a property. @aberry89 @Garthgou81
    Dummy
  • Reboot nah but a continuation to see how that world gets rebuilt or something along those lines I wouldnt mind.

Also Neo was....the 7th One(i think) so you could tell a story of 1 of the other One's.
    Brawn
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • Reboot nah but a continuation to see how that world gets rebuilt or something along those lines I wouldnt mind.

Also Neo was....the 7th One(i think) so you could tell a story of 1 of the other One's.

I guess technically a reboot could be a continuation ... Maybe the matrix froze up and the architect had to give it the good ol' ctrl-alt-del.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • AdrianAdrian London
    The Matrix was brilliant partly because it was new, confusing, mind-blowing.  Now it's just oh yeah that's the matrix isn't it.

You could make another great film about blurred reality definitely, but just remaking a film from 1999?! Only 30% of my disgust is due to it making me feel really, really old. 
  • My view was it looked pretty but the plot was almost non-existent. I found that with Cloud Atlas and Sense8 too. I don't see how there is enough material to remake it. That said, there are about 100 Alien movies now, so I guess anything is possible.
  • My guess is it would be a continuation of the story. You've got Keanu, who is a hot property at the moment with Wick, saying he's game to come back. That sells your tickets right there. My guess is Fishburne would be on board as well. 

Likely would follow in the current 'soft-reboot' trend with the old cast being significant in the first movie, with the intention of keeping the franchise going with newer/cheaper cast. 

The only downside is Keanu said he's only in if the Wachowskis do it. Have they done anything good since the original Maritx? Pretty sure that was their lighting in a bottle.

Who's doing Legion? let's throw that team a couple $100 million and see what they can do.
  • I just laughed that the article is referencing X-Men The Last Stand and Elektra.  Pretty sure that Elektra didn't do well and I've never heard anyone even come close to remotely praising X-Men The Last Stand.  So, I think mentioning those 2 movies isn't the brightest idea to get someone behind this person doing a remake.  Keep it at Avengers if you're referencing movies.

As for a re-make, I'd with the crowd here, think it's a bad idea.  If they wanted to continue the franchise, then make it prequels or say that the peace didn't last and pick up the story from there.

• This is why we can't have nice things.
  • I'm only in if Joey Pants is in.
    FernNYC17
  • TerboTerbo Honolulu
    redlancer said:

My guess is it would be a continuation of the story. You've got Keanu, who is a hot property at the moment with Wick, saying he's game to come back. That sells your tickets right there. My guess is Fishburne would be on board as well. 

Likely would follow in the current 'soft-reboot' trend with the old cast being significant in the first movie, with the intention of keeping the franchise going with newer/cheaper cast. 

The only downside is Keanu said he's only in if the Wachowskis do it. Have they done anything good since the original Maritx? Pretty sure that was their lighting in a bottle.

Who's doing Legion? let's throw that team a couple $100 million and see what they can do.
    Lighting in a bottle? Were you not a fan of this run of gems: V for vendetta , Speed racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending, and Sense8. Somewhere George Lucas is praying they do it.

• I thought V for Vendettas was quite good personally. I guess that's the last movie by them I've seen.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    edited March 20
    Ehh.... I'm ok with it.  At least they waited 18 years or so.  Its not like they're rebooting Spiderman a third time after only a few years... oh wait...

_____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • Well, for Spiderman, sometimes there are more political/financial reasons to the reboot.  Something like how I think Sony owned the rights to the movie and if they didn't make a Spiderman movie within every X amount of years, then they would lose the rights to the franchise and someone (like Marvel) could come back and regain it.  It was something like that.  I still agree that it was annoying to keep rebooting it but I can understand why.
    Doctor_Nick
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 20
    Terbo said:

redlancer said:

Lighting in a bottle? Were you not a fan of this run of gems: V for vendetta , Speed racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending, and Sense8. Somewhere George Lucas is praying they do it.

• V for V, thought was okay, always seemed a little over-acted for me
    • Speed Racer, didn't see. Watched the cartoon as a kid and always thought was fun. Is on my list of movies to watch at some point
    • Cloud Atlas, thought was good. I liked the idea of how the movie worked, but have a seen-it-and-done-with-it feeling about it.
    • Jupiter Ascending, thought was awful. This is the movie that makes me want the W's to not do more movies...
    • Sense8 haven't seen (actually not familiar with that one)
  • The Matrix story does actually continue if you had played the online multiplayer game, (spoiler alert morpheous is killed by an assassin), but was eventually shut down I think do to terrible ratings. I recently heard this reboot floating around in the hollywood reporter and assumed that they were just going to redo all three. I feel very ambivalent about this because I do think that the 2nd and 3rd movies could be made much better, but I don't know how you beat the 1st, it really is practically perfect. 
  • jleav382 said:

Morpheus is killed by an assassin, and was eventually shut down I think due to terrible ratings.

There's the new movie. The Matrix itself has become a reality show, and is then shut down due to terrible ratings.

Oh, and it's no longer a sci-fi genre, we're going full comedy with Matrix-4. Adam Sandler in lead role. Keanu/Neo can't figure out why the Matrix inserts a laugh track after every time he says some super-serious line.