The Expanse Season 2

TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
edited March 16 in Other TV
I'm starting to really get the this is the sci fi version of Game of Thrones talk. They introduce and exit characters relatively frequently and ruthlessly and without pity. Like mentioned on the podcast we spend multiple episodes getting to know the Martian Marines and the captain and boom they're all gone and now spaced Ganymede refugees.

This episode did a good job introducing a new character and story thread. I had a weird feeling when they said inners only to depart and one he held back the guy as a belter I knew they were about to get spaced.

Also some more interesting development of Amos and Alex. Amos really is a bit of a loose cannon but at least a self aware one.

But Fred Johnson, man you can't possess nukes unless you have some more hardened and fail safe ways to keep them in control.

Dawes escaping on another ship is kinda lame but I like how Holden lampshaded it by calling out the security as incompetent or compromised and indeed the Black Sky OPA had. Glad the captions worked tonight bc Belter can be tough to follow and they are kinda hilarious written out.
Elisa

Comments

• I absolutely love this show. I have to put the captions on for the U.N. lady as well as the Belters. I am crazy for Draper, so not getting to see her in battle kind of sucks. I really hope Syfy doesn't cancel this show due to poor viewership before the 4th season because I think they are doing something interesting here
    manhattnikElisa
  • I absolutely love this show. I have to put the captions on for the U.N. lady as well as the Belters. I am crazy for Draper, so not getting to see her in battle kind of sucks. I really hope Syfy doesn't cancel this show due to poor viewership before the 4th season because I think they are doing something interesting here

Well the just renewed for season 3 so let's not get ahead of ourselves about 4 ;)
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Wooohoo
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Very glad to hear it got picked up for another season.  These things take time to build.  Hell, even Breaking Bad didn't see true success as measured by rating until well into season 3.  Put out the first two seasons for free streaming as many places as they can, and build that audience in the off season.
    Elisa
  • Im happy to, it seems whomever is heading programming at SyFy is giving things a shot. I was disappointed that Incorporated got the axe, but overall they've been doing "pretty good".
    Elisa
  • The pick up is OUTSTANDING news !! After I posted I thought that I might have jinxed it but I obviously didn't. My apologies to all anyways. 
    Elisa
  • I love this show too. Jared Harris kills it as Anderson Dawes...as does the entire cast. There is so much stuff going on here and they do an excellent job of building it all up and keeping the interest going at the same time.

So the "Thing" Draper saw after the attack...was that possibly a evolved Proto-Miller that came about after the Eros crashed into Venus?
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Massive said:

So the "Thing" Draper saw after the attack...was that possibly a evolved Proto-Miller that came about after the Eros crashed into Venus?
    MAY...be?  But I think it's too soon for that, and Miller is still sweating it out on Venus.  It could be someone else was infected earlier than Julie Mao that none of our characters are aware of.  Or course the alien species that sent/created the protomolecule.
    Elisa
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • edited March 21
    Belter is basically the Afrikaner South African accent with a bunch of words from other languages thrown in, right?

Cory said:

Massive said:

MAY...be?  But I think it's too soon for that, and Miller is still sweating it out on Venus.  It could be someone else was infected earlier than Julie Mao that none of our characters are aware of.  Or course the alien species that sent/created the protomolecule.
    I think there's more work being done on the Protomolecule by the company (Protogen?) on Ganymede. The whole Strickland research thing certainly seems like a solid lead.  Perhaps they were testing it as a weapon, chasing the UN troops and trying to sow chaos between Mars and Earth?  Strickland taking Meng's daughter out of danger an hour before the destruction of Ganymede station certainly points to people expecting an operation. Also they attack occurred when the Mars ship happened to be on the dark side of the moon, perfect for a communications blackout.  
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    To me it's Afrikaner, Creole, Jamaican mix - the belter Language.
    phoenyx1023
  • LOL, I was just listening to the podcast and I think Jim says something about being worried Aron would be taken out of the spirit of the show by the UN official Chrisjen's accent, sorta like the Belter accent.  

TheEconomistElisa
  • Make that 100%. I've seen her in enough other stuff to know she isn't doing an accent at all.

The writer's are doing her a disservice by giving her dialogue that doesn't sound natural coming from her. I don't know what the deal with her voice is; she sounds like getting more than 5 words out in a row causes her physical pain.
  • Wow, this week was a real traveling episode. Did anything actually happen? Did we actually learn anything new?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The expanse just got renewed for Season 3!!!
    Doctor_Nickphoenyx1023hisdudeness915
  • After hearing good things about the show I watched season 1 on prime. Then I decided to keep going, and in one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen, I can't watch episodes 1-4 for s2 on demand anymore. So the season is still being shown, but they've pulled part of the episodes from streaming. No wonder they have a hard time getting ratings.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Yeah, luckily I discovered that before it got too far. I bought Episodes 1 and 2 on Amazon.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It's on Amazon and iTunes and syfy channel - S2.
  • Amazon and I Tunes are only available for purchase. The Syfy channel and its on demand app only have episodes 5 and onwards. I am not going to buy 4 episodes from a channel I subscribe to, specially when it likely will all be free on prime in a few months.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @joepinetree Unfortunately that's all too common that only the last 4-5 episodes are on demand. That has definitely halted my getting into a couple shows.
  • Amazon and I Tunes are only available for purchase. The Syfy channel and its on demand app only have episodes 5 and onwards. I am not going to buy 4 episodes from a channel I subscribe to, specially when it likely will all be free on prime in a few months.

SyFy is complicated with their shows and viewing. If you don't catch live or a replay, it can be very difficult to watch later unless you use "grey area" methods. You are not alone in your frustrations.
    Elisa