4K HDR Technology

MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
A lot of the Netflix, Amazon and Blu-ray's we watch are now available in 4K with High Dynamic Range. Just curious how many of us in the Bald Move community are watching theses shows with 4K HDR. I think it often adds a lot to the viewing experience.

I have a 2016 Sony x930d. It's a great TV for 4K and HDR. What are you all watching these shows with. And, what are some of the most impressive shows or movies you've seen using the technology? I'd be interested to hear your responses.

The most impressive movie I've seen with 4k HDR is Inferno. Probably because I have an innocent crush on Felicity Jones, but the picture was striking.

Bloodline looks great on 4k although it's not hdr.

What do you guys watch our shows on? And for those that have 4k, what are some of the more impressive things you've seen?

Comments

• Love 4k hdr now. I bought a 65 Samsung series 8 with 4k hdr and it works great. I do buy 4k hdr blu rays now and the best ive seen of it might be the revenant. The visuals are stunning but different because they filmed entire movie with natural light so the hdr has different feel. Man of steel n BvS look amazing too. You can tell the streaming stuff on netflix isnt as high quality as the hdr blu rays but still huge difference to reg hd. Cant wait until everything offers the technology. So annoying that disney has started using it yet. Nice to that all of amazons original content in 4k and hdr unlike netflix. For those that dont use hdr technology best way i can describe it is color just pops on screen, its crisp.
    MichaelVCassidy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So my next big purchase is going to be a 55" Samsung like @WintersComingAfterFall mentions. I look forward to the upgrade, as I've had a 32" Sharp for 12 years that can only get up to 1080i. Along with the TV, I am considering grabbing a PS4 Pro as I've heard that the Pro really upgrades the visuals on many games. 
  • I got a 75" 1080p Sony TV about 18 months ago, had no interest in 4k then and figured I wouldn't for a few more years, and don't regret it. My next TV will be OLED, but I don't want to step down in size so I'm waiting until I can get a 75-80" OLED TV for ~$3k or so, which will probably happen in the next two years or so.

• ghm3 said:

I got a 75" 1080p Sony TV about 18 months ago, had no interest in 4k then and figured I wouldn't for a few more years, and don't regret it. My next TV will be OLED, but I don't want to step down in size so I'm waiting until I can get a 75-80" OLED TV for ~$3k or so, which will probably happen in the next two years or so.

I wouldn't count on that. Unless there are major changes to production, those 70+ are going to remain rare and expensive.
  • Still haven't upgraded by 9 yr old Samsung LCD. I think I'll probably get a LG OLED when the prices drop a bit more; they have both HDR specs so would make it pretty future-proof, and seem to get the best reviews for picture quality. I wish other companies would start making OLED tvs so there's more competition and prices drop faster.

Anyone using the newest Roku boxes? I've used Roku for a long time and have always been happy with them.
  • MrX said:

Still haven't upgraded by 9 yr old Samsung LCD. I think I'll probably get a LG OLED when the prices drop a bit more; they have both HDR specs so would make it pretty future-proof, and seem to get the best reviews for picture quality. I wish other companies would start making OLED tvs so there's more competition and prices drop faster.

Anyone using the newest Roku boxes? I've used Roku for a long time and have always been happy with them.
    Forget about "future proofed" there is no such thing really anymore. Tech in TV is very volatile right now so each year there are improvements that can be significant depending on need. As far as OLED, since LG has a lock on the panels, going to be hard now for anyone to get in. We have seen others try and fail miserably (yield levels didn't make sense at time). What you really want for prices to come down are better yields at the plants, more plants with a higher production capacity.
    MrX
  • Until I can afford to upgrade my projector, I won't be watching anything in 4k.
    Yeah? Well, y'know... that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
  • cdrivecdrive Screwston, TX
    edited March 21
    It's crazy how quickly price changes.  Black Friday/X-mas circa 2014 it was $1200 for a 70" Vizio 1080p 120hz Smart LED TV.  The 4K 70" Vizio was like $3,000.

Fast forward to now, just a little over 2 years later and you can get a 4K 70" smart hdr led for like $1000 to $1200 ish.

I got the 70" 1080p 2 years ago and it replaced a 46" TV.  It was almost too big...took a while to have such huge sports/movies/news in your face.  I told my oldest, 2 1/2 at the time "this one's too big. let's put back the old one" and he was like "No....theees one ok"

I'll be good for a long while. By the time I need a TV again the technology probably will have done a few laps around 4K.  But they do look really nice.  

Sort of off topic but what I miss is surround sound.  When everything went to streaming & on demand content, and mailed DVD/Bluray took a back seat, dolby surround sound sort of went away.  Maybe I need an update on what's going on but as I understand it, most of the streaming content doesn't have digital dolby 5.1 surround sound.  I still have the same Kenwood home theater system I bought in 2003 for $380.  I used to love hearing doors creak from 8 oclock, footsteps walking from 3 oclock to 6 oclock etc.  Surround sound got so lost that sound bars became a thing.  

• @cdrive surround sound is available from NetFlix, Amazon and Vudu amongst others.

NetFlix/Amazon have DD+ 5.1
    Vudu offers DD+ and Atmos (lossy DD+ variant of it).
    cdriveCory
  • cdrivecdrive Screwston, TX
    @KingKobra hey thanks man. I'm inspired now to check all my speaker cables and audio cables this weekend to get DD+ 5.1 back in my life.
  • cdrive said:

@KingKobra hey thanks man. I'm inspired now to check all my speaker cables and audio cables this weekend to get DD+ 5.1 back in my life.

You may have to change what your default audio options are.  When a movie is playing on an amazon fire tv for example, you need to press down on the circle (if you know what I mean) and then go into the audio options.

I play a bunch of stuff through my computer too, which has a different way of enabling the surround sound /5.1
    cdrive
    Yeah? Well, y'know... that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
  • I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.
  • edited March 22
    Still hanging in with my 55" Panasonic plasma.  Don't see a need to upgrade yet.
  • I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.

Just the resolution increase won't yield much visual improvement unless you are watching a BIG set. The real improvement comes from the WCG and HDR which are visually much easier to "see".
  • KingKobra said:

I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.

Just the resolution increase won't yield much visual improvement unless you are watching a BIG set. The real improvement comes from the WCG and HDR which are visually much easier to "see".
    My cable company (Rogers in Canada) has four 4kHDR channels (all sports, they only use it for live broadcasts).  It's definitely better than regular HD but the difference isn't that great IMO.  I don't know the model off hand, but my tv is a 55 inch LG and when watching a regular HD channel it has brilliant colours and awesome contrast - both improve on the 4kHDR channels, but the difference isn't mind blowing (if it wasn't included in my cable package, it's not something that I'd pay more to get).  I recently read that they're changing their compression algorithm to broadcast this season's Blue Jays games (the cable company owns the baseball team) and are advertising it as "the best in the world".  We'll see...