4K HDR Technology

MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
A lot of the Netflix, Amazon and Blu-ray's we watch are now available in 4K with High Dynamic Range. Just curious how many of us in the Bald Move community are watching theses shows with 4K HDR. I think it often adds a lot to the viewing experience.

I have a 2016 Sony x930d. It's a great TV for 4K and HDR. What are you all watching these shows with. And, what are some of the most impressive shows or movies you've seen using the technology? I'd be interested to hear your responses.

The most impressive movie I've seen with 4k HDR is Inferno. Probably because I have an innocent crush on Felicity Jones, but the picture was striking.

Bloodline looks great on 4k although it's not hdr.

What do you guys watch our shows on? And for those that have 4k, what are some of the more impressive things you've seen?

Comments

• Love 4k hdr now. I bought a 65 Samsung series 8 with 4k hdr and it works great. I do buy 4k hdr blu rays now and the best ive seen of it might be the revenant. The visuals are stunning but different because they filmed entire movie with natural light so the hdr has different feel. Man of steel n BvS look amazing too. You can tell the streaming stuff on netflix isnt as high quality as the hdr blu rays but still huge difference to reg hd. Cant wait until everything offers the technology. So annoying that disney has started using it yet. Nice to that all of amazons original content in 4k and hdr unlike netflix. For those that dont use hdr technology best way i can describe it is color just pops on screen, its crisp.
    MichaelVCassidy
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So my next big purchase is going to be a 55" Samsung like @WintersComingAfterFall mentions. I look forward to the upgrade, as I've had a 32" Sharp for 12 years that can only get up to 1080i. Along with the TV, I am considering grabbing a PS4 Pro as I've heard that the Pro really upgrades the visuals on many games. 
  • I got a 75" 1080p Sony TV about 18 months ago, had no interest in 4k then and figured I wouldn't for a few more years, and don't regret it. My next TV will be OLED, but I don't want to step down in size so I'm waiting until I can get a 75-80" OLED TV for ~$3k or so, which will probably happen in the next two years or so.
  • ghm3 said:

I got a 75" 1080p Sony TV about 18 months ago, had no interest in 4k then and figured I wouldn't for a few more years, and don't regret it. My next TV will be OLED, but I don't want to step down in size so I'm waiting until I can get a 75-80" OLED TV for ~$3k or so, which will probably happen in the next two years or so.

I wouldn't count on that. Unless there are major changes to production, those 70+ are going to remain rare and expensive.
  • Still haven't upgraded by 9 yr old Samsung LCD. I think I'll probably get a LG OLED when the prices drop a bit more; they have both HDR specs so would make it pretty future-proof, and seem to get the best reviews for picture quality. I wish other companies would start making OLED tvs so there's more competition and prices drop faster.

Anyone using the newest Roku boxes? I've used Roku for a long time and have always been happy with them.
  • MrX said:

Still haven't upgraded by 9 yr old Samsung LCD. I think I'll probably get a LG OLED when the prices drop a bit more; they have both HDR specs so would make it pretty future-proof, and seem to get the best reviews for picture quality. I wish other companies would start making OLED tvs so there's more competition and prices drop faster.

Anyone using the newest Roku boxes? I've used Roku for a long time and have always been happy with them.
    Forget about "future proofed" there is no such thing really anymore. Tech in TV is very volatile right now so each year there are improvements that can be significant depending on need. As far as OLED, since LG has a lock on the panels, going to be hard now for anyone to get in. We have seen others try and fail miserably (yield levels didn't make sense at time). What you really want for prices to come down are better yields at the plants, more plants with a higher production capacity.
    MrX
  • Until I can afford to upgrade my projector, I won't be watching anything in 4k.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 21
    It's crazy how quickly price changes.  Black Friday/X-mas circa 2014 it was $1200 for a 70" Vizio 1080p 120hz Smart LED TV.  The 4K 70" Vizio was like $3,000.

Fast forward to now, just a little over 2 years later and you can get a 4K 70" smart hdr led for like $1000 to $1200 ish.

I got the 70" 1080p 2 years ago and it replaced a 46" TV.  It was almost too big...took a while to have such huge sports/movies/news in your face.  I told my oldest, 2 1/2 at the time "this one's too big. let's put back the old one" and he was like "No....theees one ok"

I'll be good for a long while. By the time I need a TV again the technology probably will have done a few laps around 4K.  But they do look really nice.  

Sort of off topic but what I miss is surround sound.  When everything went to streaming & on demand content, and mailed DVD/Bluray took a back seat, dolby surround sound sort of went away.  Maybe I need an update on what's going on but as I understand it, most of the streaming content doesn't have digital dolby 5.1 surround sound.  I still have the same Kenwood home theater system I bought in 2003 for $380.  I used to love hearing doors creak from 8 oclock, footsteps walking from 3 oclock to 6 oclock etc.  Surround sound got so lost that sound bars became a thing.  

• @cdrive surround sound is available from NetFlix, Amazon and Vudu amongst others.

NetFlix/Amazon have DD+ 5.1
    Vudu offers DD+ and Atmos (lossy DD+ variant of it).
    cdriveCory
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @KingKobra hey thanks man. I'm inspired now to check all my speaker cables and audio cables this weekend to get DD+ 5.1 back in my life.
  • cdrive said:

@KingKobra hey thanks man. I'm inspired now to check all my speaker cables and audio cables this weekend to get DD+ 5.1 back in my life.

You may have to change what your default audio options are.  When a movie is playing on an amazon fire tv for example, you need to press down on the circle (if you know what I mean) and then go into the audio options.

I play a bunch of stuff through my computer too, which has a different way of enabling the surround sound /5.1
    KingKobracdrive
  • I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 22
    Still hanging in with my 55" Panasonic plasma.  Don't see a need to upgrade yet.
  • I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.

Just the resolution increase won't yield much visual improvement unless you are watching a BIG set. The real improvement comes from the WCG and HDR which are visually much easier to "see".
  • KingKobra said:

I've found 4K to be a little disappointing to be honest. Not that it's bad, but in my experience it's not THAT much better than regular HD. My experience is likely shaped by the fact that the quality of my HD is incredible.

Just the resolution increase won't yield much visual improvement unless you are watching a BIG set. The real improvement comes from the WCG and HDR which are visually much easier to "see".
    My cable company (Rogers in Canada) has four 4kHDR channels (all sports, they only use it for live broadcasts).  It's definitely better than regular HD but the difference isn't that great IMO.  I don't know the model off hand, but my tv is a 55 inch LG and when watching a regular HD channel it has brilliant colours and awesome contrast - both improve on the 4kHDR channels, but the difference isn't mind blowing (if it wasn't included in my cable package, it's not something that I'd pay more to get).  I recently read that they're changing their compression algorithm to broadcast this season's Blue Jays games (the cable company owns the baseball team) and are advertising it as "the best in the world".  We'll see...
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 1
    Please pray for us. My 4 year threw a plastic toy and it bounced off the ground and hit our 65in 4K TV and cracked the internal screen. It's still under warranty and the outer screen did not crack but i am assuming the company is going to deny us. The worst part of this is im still paying a no interest installment for another 6 months on the TV.

What really pisses me off though is this was a name brand TV and it cracked from a plastic toy that wasn't thrown that hard and actually bounced off the ground first. What shitty ass quality that a 5 thousand dollar TV can break like that. Guess I shouldn't be surprised when the company that made it also had exploding phones.

On the bright side I Guess this gives me a reason to get a OLED.
  • @Hatorian most likely it won't be covered under warranty (unless you got extra coverage). Homeowners/Renters insurance should cover it though. You are not alone and there are stories like yours on AVS as well. TVs are not meant to have impact from hard objects ;) I wish you luck and kids with toys are the death of many high end sets.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited April 1
    Take it out of your kid's college fund!
    CoryHatorian
    edited April 2
    Haha. Can someone help explain what TV I should be looking at that will be future proof for at least the next 5 years? I'm assuming that they won't fix it and repairs would probably be cost prohibitive and would make more sense to get a new TV.

The TV we have is a 65in Samsung UA65HU9000K 3D, curved 4K TV. 2014 model. My biggest gripe was this was supposed to be future proof but it's only 3 years old and to my knowledge doesn't have HDR and is already considered obsolete. Guess that's the price you pay for early adopting.

What I'm looking for would be same screen size 65in, HDR, OLED(if this is indeed the future). Don't really care about 3D or the curve. Any recommendations? I really don't want to fork over a couple grand and then 2-3 years later OLED and HDR are replaced by something else.

• @Hatorian there are none. No such thing these days. You need to decide what you are willing to live with (and life without). The closest you'll get is something that has/will have HDR10, DolbyVision, and possibly YouTube VP9 P2. There are other HDR codecs out there as well. For the actual tech (OLED/LCD) what you buy today will be "obsolete" next year. OLED is still the "tops" for most with a close second to FALD LCD.
    well bit the bullet and got an LG E6 OLED 65in.

reviews are off the charts for this TV. Many saying its the best TV from 2016. I could have forked over like another 3k for the 2017 model but the savings and deal on the 2016 was too good to pass up. $4,000USD and it came with a second 50in 4K LG TV for free. Plus they threw in a bunch of goodies after i bargained for a while. Vouchers, wireless keyboard and mouse, etc. 

KingKobra
  • edited April 4
    @Hatorian just a heads up, at least for some of the reviews 4K dot com just copies and pastes reviews from other sites. Once I found that out, it lost a TON of points for me. I would head over to AVSForum and enter the rabbit hole of owners threads ;)

Btw nice choice! You'll get both DV and HDR10 with that set so you "should" be covered for the most part.
    Hatorian
  • Pavkey88Pavkey88 Florida, the home of beautiful beaches and meth addicted face-eaters
    edited April 4
    Until I can afford to upgrade my projector, I won't be watching anything in 4k.
    @OldGriswold well this may be the year for you! I work at a place that sells projectors and there are some AMAZING projectors coming out this year - some are already here. 

Yeah, the reality is that unless you have a big enough screen or are sitting close enough to the image, you don't notice the difference that much. BUT on a big screen, it makes a huge difference. 

Sony has native 4K projectors which are awesome but those are upwards of 10k, and JVC and Epson both have their e-shift projectors that double the resolution of 1080p and look pretty great, but now we're starting to see some DLP projectors using the new Texas Instruments micro mirror and those look AMAZING. (see example below...just know that the real life image was waaaay better)

The only problem with this projector is that there is no HDR. The Epson 5040UB 4k enhancement projector looks pretty great for its price (2699 right now) but the HDR on that is unwatchable.

Now, we just had a demo from a company called Vivitek yesterday and they were showing off their new 4k projector (using the TI micro mirror) and their unit does has HDR and HOLY CRAP my jaw hit the floor on some of the video. They did a direct comparison against a native 4k projector and it SMOKED it in terms of color and contrast. That unit comes out in June or July and I think it'll be somewhere between 3-4k. 

I've seen giant OLED images and yeah nothing beats that. they're mind blowing, but I think we're way far away from that becoming a consumer product. I totally recommend revisiting projectors if you haven't done so in a while. 
    KingKobra said:

@Hatorian just a heads up, at least for some of the reviews 4K dot com just copies and pastes reviews from other sites. Once I found that out, it lost a TON of points for me. I would head over to AVSForum and enter the rabbit hole of owners threads ;)

Btw nice choice! You'll get both DV and HDR10 with that set so you "should" be covered for the most part.

Yea. The HDR was a big part of my decision. It really feels shitty knowing the 4k TV I bought in 2014 is obsolete because of HDR. But I'm pretty confident this one will last at least 5 years. It comes tomorrow and I'm Super psyched.

My biggest concern was I may have overpaid for the E6 when the B6 is pretty similar but like $700 cheaper. I have a sick surround sound so the built in sound bar is pretty much non important. The E6 also comes with 3D and I have a ton of 3D movies but still rarely use. So it may have made more sense to go with the B6.The TV is straight gorgeous though. It's literally as thin as a comic book. And outside of 4kdot come most sites still say it's the best 2016 on the market.

Based on my experience with this TV and my previous TV. My recommendation to anyone looking to buy a TV, wait until Jan-April to buy a TV. Don't buy a same year model. You will be paying a premium for same year model and there's no guarantee buying the latest will save you money in the log run. The stores will be selling their previous year stock for Super cheap to make room for the current year models. Just like cars. I got mine at a 30% discount from Christmas prices plus they threw in $1200 worth of shit to clear it. On top of that Also bargain bargain bargain. I got them to throw in a bunch of other shit worth $100 and if I really tried probably could have gotten that higher.
    KingKobra
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 5
    Interesting reading about this 4k HDR. People are talking about how these technologies are going to surpass where plasma was a few years ago, except for the motion issues and soap opera effect.
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    Hatorian said:

Please pray for us. My 4 year threw a plastic toy and it bounced off the ground and hit our 65in 4K TV and cracked the internal screen. It's still under warranty and the outer screen did not crack but i am assuming the company is going to deny us. The worst part of this is im still paying a no interest installment for another 6 months on the TV.

What really pisses me off though is this was a name brand TV and it cracked from a plastic toy that wasn't thrown that hard and actually bounced off the ground first. What shitty ass quality that a 5 thousand dollar TV can break like that. Guess I shouldn't be surprised when the company that made it also had exploding phones.

Get a projector installed in your ceiling mate, best thing I ever did

Hatorian said:

Get a projector installed in your ceiling mate, best thing I ever did
    Yea. My buddy has a projector and it was pretty sweet. Thing is im renting and I don't feel like spending all that money to basically retrofit a movie theatre into the house. But it's definitely something I'm going to consider when I get a house and can have a dedicated room to entertainment and sports.
  • That'll be my next purchase. Some >50" 4K HDR TV. After that, in a few years, I'll probably shoot for a projector.