714 - The Other Side

I unfortunately don't have director/writer credits.

Comments

• How could Maggie not acknowledge it was Daryl's fault Glenn took a bat to the head. It almost seemed she forgot Glenn was dead when Daryl apologized.
  • Also, was anyone else hoping one of the two ladies would have taken out Eugene with a headshot? Something the show should have done a couple seasons ago.
    Cory
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Welp, I think that was the first episode of this half season that I can honestly say I enjoyed.
    Hello now, do dog!
  • Best episdoe in a while and def best this half season.
    cbspock
  • Welp, I think that was the first episode of this half season that I can honestly say I enjoyed.

Yes I loved how Rosita and Sasha made me want to drink mercury every time they were on the screen together.
    cbspockTaraC73voodoorat
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    The armored walkers are pretty lame
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas

Welp, I think that was the first episode of this half season that I can honestly say I enjoyed.

Yes I loved how Rosita and Sasha made me want to drink mercury every time they were on the screen together.

Hope she has better writing on Star Trek Discovery to work with

• davemcbdavemcb Melbourne

I unfortunately don't have director/writer credits.

so we dont know who to blame???

While its one of the best of the half season and without being insenstive that's like being one of the tallest Dwarfs 
    JTKIIITaraC73
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 20
    Someone needs to 'splain this cantelope cause there wasn't a lot of "there" there is this episode at all.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    For an episode ostensibly with two women leading did they ever pass the Bechtel test? Everything seemed like it revolved around relationships with men. Abraham, Eugene, or past boyfriends.

I hope Eugene is rope a doping Negan into wasting metals into this dumb metal head walkers bc even he's admitting its mostly for appearances but then again Negan thought it was cool so maybe that's enough.

The flaming car seemed so unnecessary. Just have one outside the fence distract walkers while the other covertly starts a car, drives off, and picks up the other kwhile outpacing the walkers.

It seems like every time the writers don't know what to do with a character they nerf them into being dumb and put them on a relatively reckless/suicide mission. Meryl, Bob, Beth, Tyrese, Noah, Jessie, anyone without plot armor basically, now Sasha and Rosita. This universe is ultimate Darwinism. All the dumb helpless people should've been naturally selected out by now. So when people become suddenly dumb it's annoying.
    voodoorat
  • I for one think the opening montage would have been better if it were to "Eye of the Tiger" or "The Final Countdown". Classic training montage songs. But in all honesty, I was ready to make fun of the montage for it's Rocky-like qualities but it actually did do a good job of advancing the plot. I'm pretty happy about that because I definitely could have seen them stretching elaborate training scenes into a whole half episode or so. I just want this "All Out War" to start already. What do you guys think?
    DoubleA_Ron
  • For an episode ostensibly with two women leading did they ever pass the Bechtel test? Everything seemed like it revolved around relationships with men. Abraham, Eugene, or past boyfriends.

I hope Eugene is rope a doping Negan into wasting metals into this dumb metal head walkers bc even he's admitting its mostly for appearances but then again Negan thought it was cool so maybe that's enough.

The flaming car seemed so unnecessary. Just have one outside the fence distract walkers while the other covertly starts a car, drives off, and picks up the other kwhile outpacing the walkers.

It seems like every time the writers don't know what to do with a character they nerf them into being dumb and put them on a relatively reckless/suicide mission. Meryl, Bob, Beth, Tyrese, Noah, Jessie, anyone without plot armor basically, now Sasha and Rosita. This universe is ultimate Darwinism. All the dumb helpless people should've been naturally selected out by now. So when people become suddenly dumb it's annoying.

Considering their mission was entirely jump started by the death of Abraham, it's kind of hard to not make it about him/them. If they didn't have the Abraham connection that would have left all the groundwork that was laid previously pointless. IMO it was more about relationships and then coming to terms with those that they have lost.
  • This universe is ultimate Darwinism. All the dumb helpless people should've been naturally selected out by now. So when people become suddenly dumb it's annoying.

If the writers hadn't made the zombies slower and dumber over time TWD would have the best characters and plots ever by now.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Best part of the episode is Simon's asshole humor (Steven Ogg's character). I was really hoping that Gregory would open the "directions" that Simon slipped into his pocket and see that it just said "Fuck off" with a little smiley face. 
    Or an intricately drawn Gregory figure with his head up his own ass. Because Simon seems like the kind of guy would do that enough to get good at drawing it quickly.
    brewseveltDoubleA_RonOriginal_Joseph
  • This is moving very slowly. Next week looks like Oceanside expedition to get guns to satisfy the Romulan Empire which just leaves the finale to move the plot forward on Sasha in Saviorland, The Kingdom gearing up for battle, Morgan in the cottage, etc.

Or maybe it will be a single POV episode about what has been going on with Heath?

I don't see getting close to the war here except maybe Negan declaring it after Shasha's shenanigans leaving the consolidation of forces on the opposing side and actual going-to-battle stuff for next season.
  • The season will end with all the different forces meeting and nodding at each other. Roll credits.
    Then we will all expect some massive battle of the start of the next season, but instead each group will prefer a different tactics and so it will be another half season before any actual shots are fired.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    KingKobra said:

For an episode ostensibly with two women leading did they ever pass the Bechtel test? Everything seemed like it revolved around relationships with men. Abraham, Eugene, or past boyfriends.

Considering their mission was entirely jump started by the death of Abraham, it's kind of hard to not make it about him/them. If they didn't have the Abraham connection that would have left all the groundwork that was laid previously pointless. IMO it was more about relationships and then coming to terms with those that they have lost.
    I have no problem about them discussing Abraham bc it needed to be addressed but it's funny how Rosita's background of becoming a strong woman is totally framed by all these relationships with men. She literally gains her skills like a succubus, getting her rocks off while taking their knowledge then bouncing, which is kinda interesting as in a novel background.

But it's sad these two characters have been rolling on the road for seasons now and their entire relationship is boiled down to Eskimo sisters. Which is not a unique to them problem, we rarely see cross party matchups or conversations beyond romantic interests or Rick. When people pronounce they'd die for each other or risk their lives it's a bit odd bc the relationships feel a bit thin beyond blind loyalty to a group or Rick.

• ThomasThomas North Carolina
    Am I the only one that gets annoyed by the saviors when they come to the Hilltop?  They always march into the main house with about 30 guys and stand around in one room.  All the Hilltop would need to do is rig a couple explosives inside or hide a couple shooters and boom...30 of Negan's men gone.  I know the show does not walk a realistic line, but it is just overkill at the Hilltop.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    But wouldn't the rest of the Saviors just come and wipe the Hilltop completely out?
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I think it's probably a good idea to say when a commercial break begins and ends but I'd love to know what the people who are watching that way think of the commercial talk. For them, everything is out of context.

After ten seconds of dead air A.Ron says "pssh, that's like saying humans don't get monkey diseases so fuck all the monkeys you want!" No explanation. And then later we got "Grandma just made fun of your dick size!" from Jim. (I think)

By no means am I saying that to criticize, just curious if anyone else got a kick out of that.
  • Anyone else notice the cap still on the scope when Rosita was looking through it?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Here's Eugene if the zombie apocalypse didn't happen.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40we98
    Murderbear
    No Half Measures....
  • Sasha be like "sorry Rosita, there's a starship that needs a captain. I'm out."
    MurderbearTaraC73DoubleA_Ronvoodoorat
  • Kinda need of disappointed that the guys while railing on the S&R scenes didn't mention that the motivation for going to the fence was Eugene expanding the walker net and putting their location at high risk. Of course I guess that is sort of the point now, rail on them, skip the minute detail that leads to that event.. :p
  • edited March 21
    Did anyone else roll their eyes when they took the car from the used car lot? Wouldn't a car that has been sitting outside in the elements for a couple years have rusted over or seized up brakes and whatnot? Yet they drive/stop/sound totally fine? I'm definitely over thinking that but it happens so much.

And also on the podcast you guys talked about Rosita and Sasha leaving the building right away giving up the sniper spot but didn't they hear on the radio that the saviors were going to search the surrounding buildings for walkers? Wouldn't that force them to rush the plans to go in so they wouldn't be found first?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    amcottre said:

Did anyone else roll their eyes when they took the car from the used car lot? Wouldn't a car that has been sitting outside in the elements for a couple years have rusted over or seized up brakes and whatnot? Yet they drive/stop/sound totally fine? I'm definitely over thinking that but it happens so much.

Absolutely.  I once left an older car still for about 6 weeks in the winter, and then it wouldn't start (ended up putting new spark plugs in I think) and then one of the wheels was seized.

As for your second point, I missed that as well.
    That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!
  • amcottre said:

And also on the podcast you guys talked about Rosita and Sasha leaving the building right away giving up the sniper spot but didn't they hear on the radio that the saviors were going to search the surrounding buildings for walkers? Wouldn't that force them to rush the plans to go in so they wouldn't be found first?

Looks at post above yours, nope you are not alone ;) I guess from the cast that's the "point" though.
  • Weird note on this half season. To my knowledge Carl hasn't been seen once this whole half season, is this AMC trying to show Riggs that they don't "need" him to better negotiations? or maybe seeing if fans would be ok with the show without him if the need to kill him off. 
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio

Weird note on this half season. To my knowledge Carl hasn't been seen once this whole half season, is this AMC trying to show Riggs that they don't "need" him to better negotiations? or maybe seeing if fans would be ok with the show without him if the need to kill him off. 

Carl was in the mid season premiere.
  • How do you learn to disarm bombs during the zombie apocalypse? I would assume that an actual bomb squad training school requires books and sample detonators and whatnot - did Bomb Squad Boyfriend really just describe all the possible setups to Rosita/draw them in the dirt or something?