Dave Chappelle on Netflix

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Man, I saw his first of two specials last night on Netflix.  Funniest stand up I've seen since  Louie CK's "Live at the Beacon Theater".  He's such a great performer, and the framing of the special around the four OJ encounters, and the super stealth punchline to all of the brutally honest Cosby stuff, I thought was genius.  I'm going to watch the second part tonight, and I've heard there's a third coming out later this year.

Good to have Mr. Chappelle back.
KingKobraFernNYC17cdriveJoshuaHeterFrakkin TOliviaDBrawnDStarMofojones333Flukes

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'm so jazzed about this but I have to wait. The Mrs has forbidden me to watch without her and that won't happen until the weekend :(
    OliviaD
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ah I'm so excited for this but also have to wait for my spouse. The chappelle show remains as one of my top shows of all time. Years later I still quote it. Hoping we can watch tomorrow or Friday.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I've seen both and a lot of it was really funny and edgy in the right ways, the OJ and Bill Cosby stuff in particular, and the bit about his sex tapes lol.

But... why is he so fucking obsessed with gay people? For every genius joke there were two homophobic ones, that shit might have flown in the 90s but it's just tired now. I wasn't even really offended, just kind of astounded that he was taking up so much valuable time in his specials talking about who the wife is in gay couples and Magic Johnson's HIV. I mean come on dude.
    DeejazzminawaDStar
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I thought he answered that fairly well with his "Dave Chappelle the American is happy" vs "Dave Chappelle the black man is irritated/jealous" or however he described he feelings regarding the success of the LGBTQ movement. Just like I don't think you can take his thoughts on Cosby, OJ, and rape out of his over all context and judge them in isolation, I don't think you can take his comments about gays and trans people out of context of him being proud of the acceptance of people that are different and his feelings as a black man hearing a white man call him the n-word just last week.

They're all designed to interlock and make the overall point both funnier and more relevant in a social context. Getting shot by cops vs worrying about a form saying "husband and wife". Which might be seen as trivializing certain issues and ignoring larger serious ones but a similar point was made on this season's Atlanta. And then in Insecure they seemed to be making the point that maybe some aspects of black culture are a bit behind the times when it comes to gay acceptance. I'm just a straight white guy trying to listen to both sides and could be getting all this wrong, so if you'd want to expand on your thoughts I'd certainly be interested in hearing them, or if you don't feel like being put on the spot it's cool to tell me to fuck off, too.
    amyja89AspiewithalibrarycardDStar
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited March 2017
    I'd never tell you to fuck off @A_Ron_Hubbard!

Like I said, I didn't really take offence to anything that Dave said, in fact I found the part in the second special about the lesbian moms at his son's school really funny, it's just when he's throwing around words like fag and tranny at the same time, the nuance that he achieves with the extended rape superhero/Cosby narrative and metaphor is lost.

Honestly, I believe that stand up comedy is one of the purest, most poetic forms of observational free speech there is, and I'm not going to sit here and crucify Dave Chappelle, somebody who, as far as I know, doesn't wish any physical harm or oppression on the LGBTQ+ community when there are figures out there, figures in real power, who do wish just that. His views on that side of things did across to me as a little 'faux woke', though.

It just felt, to my sensibilities anyway, that whenever the topic of gay or transgender came up, the tone of the comedy lacked the incisive and constructed nature of his bits on Cosby/OJ/rape/racism. The genius of linking the nostalgia of Bill Cosby to the horror of rape and tying the bow on it with the interconnecting "movie superhero idea" forced the audience to really come to terms with the fact that someone who they loved could do such terrible things, that they participated in that awkward history, it was a perfect mixture of the high and the low.

With the gay jokes, I just didn't feel like him talking about 'prison fags' sucking dick in jail hit the same intellectual heights.

As always though, everyone's opinion is valid!
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 2017
    I found him constantly petting his jacket distracting. There were some great moments. I loved his Killin Them Softly special a lot.
    They filmed it at the Hollywood Palladium . I had my first job across the street and I saw my first concert there. So that was nice.

I thought there were a lot of jokes about gays. That always seems to be a little controversial since Eddie Murphys Stand up days.
  • edited March 2017
    I thought the second one was the best, but both were awesome.

Some of the gay stuff was a little off for me, but I thought his joke about how "Q" in LGBTQ = "And sometimes Y" for vowels was pretty funny.

And I'll never get tired of Dave's affluent white person voice.
    DStar
    I watched the second one last night, and I kinda see more where you're coming from.  It was a lot less carefully constructed and more free wheeling.  But there again, it seems like he sees the world in three shades.  The people not on his side that don't think he's funny, the people on his side that think he's funny (the "cool" half-black lesbian) and the people that are on his side and don't think he's funny (the "cool" half-black lesbian's "uptight" wife).  And it seems he doesn't give a shit about two thirds of those people think.

It's hard for me to take offense about throwing labels around when he's dropping n-bombs left and right and that's part of the deal.  I feel like he has a strong social conscience which is why he ran away from the Dave Chappelle Show, because he really worried he was doing more harm to the cause by normalizing stereotypes than he was helping by subverting or exposing them. I was interested to find out that the Dallas one was recorded two years ago, and I believe the first one was a year old. It seems like he wanted to have these lay around awhile and have a chance to think on them before he was ready to release them.

I honestly don't know who's right.  On the one hand, I do think on the margins political correctness can run amok.  See the young white woman heckler who tried to say with a straight face that Dave doesn't understand oppression.  The types of people who think it's more important to speak and act correctly than to think and feel in a manner that elevates.  But on the other hand, words matter, yo.  They shape and influence how we think and feel. 
    amyja89jazzminawaBenjaminDStar
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I've never been a chapelle fan, but hubby was watching of his Netflix specials last night and it must have been pretty hilarious as I heard him laughing all the way upstairs LOL!!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2017
    I feel like he doesn't do a lot of interviews because it's a waste of material. The whole thing felt like Chappelle was asking himself questions that he knows interviewers would ask and then giving awesome answers to them.

So what's the word? Anybody else feel like Dave Chappelle's whole life is essentially one big acid trip that he's always on? For better and for worse.
  • I think this was mentioned somewhere when he did SNL, but duuude! he is fukin jacked now, he use to be so scrawny
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I've never seen Chappelle do anything as funny or great as Chappelle's Show. But that's a super high bar, and I'll watch these specials and probably enjoy them.

I don't know if Chappelle left his show totally based on high-minded ideals, though. It seemed like it was partly that, and he made some statements like that, and partly some kind of creative panic. He's kind of a squirrely dude who has these flashes of brilliance. There was definitely some magic in that show, though. 
  • ""Sharon, with all due respect, that murderer ran for over 11,000 yards."
    LOL
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2017
    I watched 25 mins, barely raised a smile, cringed a couple of times, then rolled my eyes and switched off after the gay superhero shit. I mean, seriously? Is this what passes for brilliant comedy these days? I am definitely missing something.

Edit: re-reading, I realise that sounds judgy of people who like the show. I legit think I *am* missing something when it comes to stand up. I detest, like, 95% of stand up comedians. In short, it's not you, it's me.
  • First off, loved his little light hearted dig at Key and Peele. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents on several things. As far as the gay stuff is concerned I understand where he is coming from. He grew up like most of us 80's kids thinking being gay was a disease and as adults are leading the charge to bring equality for all. Heck I still have a friend who every time he calls me says " What up fag?" He means it like a term of endearment.

Secondly, have we all forgot his show. He was always pushing the boundaries of people's comfort zone much like Richard Pryor did in the 70's. For better or for worse he is not afraid to poke fun at anybody and I've heard Louis CK say many more "offensive" things.

I love comedy so I'm pretty loose on what offends me. I love anything from Airplane to Its always sunny and I love stand up. My personal motto is life is to short not to laugh. Also, I am curious if it's harder for Dave because he does draw such a diverse crowd because of his show. Look at his audience and then look at Chris Rocks or Kevin Harts.
    BrawnDStar
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Just watched the first one. I was prepped for the gay stuff because of all the comments here but I think the comments are taking the gay stuff out of the context of the whole show. I agree with @Benjamin - Chappelle at his best is there to make you uncomfortable. I thought he did OK in terms of putting his comments about his wife's gay friend in the context of - you're at my house throwing me all this shade and trying to educate me, do you know me at all? 

I think the gay superhero story is more complex and more challenging, but I see it as sort of a bridge to the other stories in the larger context of an examination of flawed heroes, or the perception of heroes, namely Bill Cosby and OJ Simpson, and maybe even Dave himself- we know from a lot of different things he's said over the years that he had this huge level of discomfort with his own success and celebrity. If you notice, the OJ stories were also signposts along the way of Chappelle's early and much discussed career in terms of 1) He's an unknown teenager just coming to LA. 2) He's making a deal with agents and in some LA restaurant where celebs could be seen 3) He's at the height of his fame 4) He's in the fragile place he was in when he walked away from Chappelle's Show. 

I saw the gay superhero story as kind of a "Hollywood bullshit" story as well. Like he's at the Hollywood party of all parties, having blown off a benefit show, and he suddenly finds himself trying to bullshit the guy in front of him sort of by pandering to the producer's "people" or whatever. I kind of saw it as self-deprecating as well. Like here I am, telling this guy this bullshit story. And then he leads into pandering to the Texas moneyman by pitching a story about a "superhero" who fights Mexicans for no reason and rapes people for the greater good. This is peak Chappelle, in my opinion. I can see why the gay stuff would be grating out of context or maybe even to a millenial audience but I see its place in the build up in his set. And I think he did a good job later in his set with very warmly talking about some of these issues in a way where you know he's not on the wrong side of this stuff at all, just trying to comment on it and on himself in some way. Like when he talks about trans people and the woman who got angry with him about the rape stuff. 

Overall, he's a guy I really root for because when he's at his best, he's genius, and he's not always at his best. I thought it was a really well written set and rode that razor thin edge between goofy and edgy that he rides when he's performing at his peak. 
    BrawnA_Ron_Hubbard
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Wife and I checked out both episode last night. The man is comedy gold. I haven't laughed like that since last season of rick and morty or Jim and a.rons live watches of rocky 4 and die hard
    Brawn
  • edited January 1
    Anybody check out the 2 latest specials? 

I thought they were great. I think I preferred "Equanimity" over "The Bird Revelation", but it's hard to compare since they have different tones and are in completely different venues. 

Dave's already catching some heat for comments he made, but that's just par for the course at this point, since he's not afraid to crack jokes about touchy subjects (trans people, sexual harassment/assault, etc.).
    Brawn
    Just started the new one. I'm dying over here.
    Mofojones333
    Holy shit... There's two of them!?
    edited January 1
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Well... In reference to your "Goddammit, Louis" thread, fuck me if Louis CK's transgressions didn't lead to yet another fantastic Dave Chappelle bit.
    edited January 1
    Anybody check out the 2 latest specials? 

I thought they were great. I think I preferred "Equanimity" over "The Bird Revelation", but it's hard to compare since they have different tones and are in completely different venues. 

Dave's already catching some heat for comments he made, but that's just par for the course at this point, since he's not afraid to crack jokes about touchy subjects (trans people, sexual harassment/assault, etc.).
    If Tupac and Andy Kaufman were alive, they'd both say Dave Chappelle is a better artist. The level he's operating on as a celebrity is Rick and Morty-esque.
    Mofojones333
    edited January 1
    Oh, and then he busts out with an Iceberg Slim bit. Seriously, every single person on this planet could benefit in some way from reading "Pimp".

In fact, as I drink this glass of cognac, being sentimental about 2017 and cheersing to myself about the new year, I say this in all sincerity: I will pay to commission the first book podcast. Just as long as it's "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    His “fantastic” Louis CK bit was fucking disgusting. Chappelle has turned into (always was?) an anachronistic arsehole who delights in punching down. He’s “not afraid” to take on touchy subjects? He’s “not afraid” to make fun of sexual assault victims and trans people. Ooooh, such an edgelord. 
  • Mofojones333Mofojones333 Fort Worth, Texas
    It's hard to entertain a country when everyone's ears are so goddamn brittle....
    Brawn
    edited January 2
    Dee said:
    His “fantastic” Louis CK bit was fucking disgusting. Chappelle has turned into (always was?) an anachronistic arsehole who delights in punching down. He’s “not afraid” to take on touchy subjects? He’s “not afraid” to make fun of sexual assault victims and trans people. Ooooh, such an edgelord. 
    I didn't hear the Louis bit because I've only seen the first new one  "Equanimity", but I'm surprised you are offended by the trans materiel in the new one. I thought he did a great job of explaining himself and the reaction to the criticism of last year's specials with honesty and love. You also have to consider the audience and the room. To take offense at the trans stuff it seems you have to really overlook the openly racist, sexist, and classist humor and only take the trans stuff at face value. Like, you don't think Dave hates black people do you? You don't think he thinks they only hang out in check cashing lines and take any opportunity to rob defenseless white people? But you had to hear that material to get to the trans material. 

"I don't understand trans issues and I might never fully understand them, but I don't need to understand them to know that trans persons deserve the same dignity and safety that every person does by virtue of their humanity. As a black man I'm frankly jealous of the apparent speed at which trans people are being accepted by mainstream society, and also, you know what? I am skeptical that this would be happening at all if it were, say, a black thing. Finally, if you want to hurt or persecute trans people then fuck off I don't want you as a fan."  None of that is offensive, and it's also a progressive opinion by American standards. I'm not saying I can't see why some of his jokes leading up to this would be upsetting to hear as a trans person that is struggling, but I vastly prefer honest conversation to "welp, I'm just never going to talk about THIS ever again." 

Maybe he really stepped in it with the Louis stuff. If so, I hope the conversation doesn't end there, because not every audience and community is as "woke" as the next one, and not every sermon is one size fits all.  Dave is smart, and has a functional heart and conscience, and is working this out in front of an audience who is probably ambivalent or even hostile to these issues. Notice how quiet the room got when he went there.  That has value, because not everyone was born with the "correct" views. I don't know how you can't draw a direct line between his story about Emmitt Till and his talking about trans people. I think we have to make the distinction between well meaning ignorance and hate, or just decide you don't give a shit about having allies and see where that gets you in the struggle. 

Mofojones333Freddygguenot
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Honestly, I was only mildly rolling my eyes at his trans comments, and more so at what he originally said that triggered this apology-of-sorts. What really enraged me was his bit on Louis CK and sexual assault victims, and that’s what made me also realise that I really, really dislike him and a hell of a lot of what he says, and I’m supposed to be clapping along with him just because he’s a black man who “tells it like it is”. Nah, he’s an old man yelling at clouds. 
    Well, I'll get back to you when I get there. 
  • I watched "Equanimity" last night and laughed my ass off. One of the funniest stand-ups I've seen in a while.
    Mofojones333Brawn
    edited January 3
    Dee said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard Honestly, I was only mildly rolling my eyes at his trans comments, and more so at what he originally said that triggered this apology-of-sorts. What really enraged me was his bit on Louis CK and sexual assault victims, and that’s what made me also realise that I really, really dislike him and a hell of a lot of what he says, and I’m supposed to be clapping along with him just because he’s a black man who “tells it like it is”. Nah, he’s an old man yelling at clouds. 
    Seriously!? Are you saying that one of our greatest living comics is using his race and "edginess" as a gimmick? And that me, along with pretty much every other adult I respect and love, have been tricked by it? You really think that when I clap along with him it has anything to do with the notion that it's "what I'm supposed to do as a fan", and it's just because he's black and "tells it like it is"?

I'm trying to be real careful about how I word my post, and I'm trying real hard to understand what you mean by the statement I highlighted. If I'm taking it wrong, or reading it wrong, please help me understand.
    Mofojones333