[OFFICIAL] Episode 510 - "Them"

Director: Julius Ramsay
Writer: Heather Bellson

Comments

• Fingers crossed we dont go backwards in the timeline
  • OK, so their 60 miles from DC. I live 90 miles from DC and there is PLENTY of water. It's actually in the Chesapeake watershed. So, unless there was something like a nuclear explosion altering the weather, I doubt it'll be that hard to find water.
  • I think you have to think about contamination too. Like those Frogs. Like that Twlight Zone episode about the computer in the cave telling them what to eat. Should be the same as eating a zombie human right?
  • I agree contamination is a concern, like the water zombie on the farm. But I think the dead frogs was more about really hammering it to the viewers there is no water.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Excellent episode!!
  • This whole season seems like they're suffering from too many episodes with too little material.

I get it. They're hopeless. They're angry, sad, pessimistic, losing faith, etc. But these are all obvious things. There's no nuance there that needs to be dragged out over a whole episode. I didn't learn anything new about the characters. Sasha and Maggie didn't work through their issues in any overly compelling way. Aaron would have been just as effective if he came out at the end of Tyreese's funeral, no?
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Hey guys. Really enjoyed the live show on YT. Pretty good episode, apart from the silly Znado of course. Maggie was a total babe in this one and putting the focus on her was a good call. The stranger danger part was also great, well directed, good acting. Can't wait to see how that unfolds.

On an unrelated note: I never knew until now how many commercial breaks you guys get in the States. I mean my god every 5 minutes? How do you put up with getting pulled out of the story so often?

Anyway, cheers!
    That's why I rarely live watch a show. It's BRUTAL!!! I will DVR and start watching 20 minutes past the hour. I hate commercials.
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Man im usually a Walking Dead hater but this episode had me captivated for whatever reason. I thought bringing the entire cast being together for the first time in forever was cool and I know it was full of bullshit coincidences but I loved it. We are the Walking Dead.
  • StantheManStantheMan Kansas City, Missouri
    A.Ron & Jim,
    I have been a listener since the first few bald move podcasts, but this is my first time writing in. Although, we did some communicating during the commissioning of "The Wire" podcast you did for me! This episode would have made a much better half season opener than the former episode that was filled with filled with short overtly cryptic clips of "The Walking Dead"; and if my memory serves, somewhat like the two of you were discussing on the last TWD podcast-in that it was somewhat analogous to one of those 'clip' shows that network dramas so often used. I am approaching this show from a viewpoint where I began watching the show season 1. I have been in this theoretical 'abusive relationship' with the show since the pilot! Tonight was another example of how TWD loves to push you to the brink of nearly not wanting to watch the show any longer to the opposite end of the spectrum, where you are on the edge of your seat, fully engaged with the material! It is crazy! Taking tonight's episode and last week's episode in a vacuum, in my opinion the writers' appeared to be approaching the same general subjects but from totally different angles. Unfortunately, last week's attempt at making any sort of either overt social commentary or just meta-commentary related to the show itself failed…real bad. This week however, was redemption for last week's poor attempt at any 'meta-commentary' done through dialogue and writing. To watch the theodyssies of both Maggie and "Carver" were well done this week. The whole rain bit shortly after the priest had tossed his collar in the fire was a nice touch. Also, I thought Rick's commentary on life as a soldier during war as being somewhat equivalent of to the lives they are currently leading was a well-written piece of dialogue. As an amateur philosopher, this episode speaks and show in a clear manner what it is trying to convey on a higher level of thought. They also had a solid discussion of what is 'reality', I believe? I do think that they were a bit heavy-handed with some of the Maggie and her apparent suicidal ideation. Cheers, Andrew
  • With some few choice scenes this was one of the weakest episodes imo. We get a comic tag line but that's about it. Best part of episode was the end.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm starting to think that a zombie apocalypse would be a major downer.
  • TaraC73 said:

Excellent episode!!

Before last weeks episode I posted on my facebook that my new strategy for watching this season was to be prepared to be underwhelmed and pissed off, and last weeks episode sure delivered on those expectations. But I was pleasantly surprised that I actually liked most of this episode, the "we are the walking dead" Rick line was weak compared to the comic but I am glad they finally did it so I can stop hoping for.

• Why didn't they let Eugene drink the water? What's the worst thing that could have happened?
  • Why didn't they let Eugene drink the water? What's the worst thing that could have happened?

The worst thing...one less mouth to feed.
  • Apart from the odd falling tree miracle quite enjoyed the episode & with how much has happened in the previous two it needed a little road break (especially for any future binge watchers).

Anyone else waiting for the pull back shot to a guy behind the tree line spraying a hose onto the group after they refused to drink the 'friendly' water? Was sure it was a trick for a few seconds. :(
    Right. I like how he stepped up to be the guinea pig. Shows that Abraham is a good person, not allowing him to drink it.
  • Spookycat4Spookycat4 Baltimore
    edited February 2015
    Firebirds said:

OK, so their 60 miles from DC. I live 90 miles from DC and there is PLENTY of water. It's actually in the Chesapeake watershed. So, unless there was something like a nuclear explosion altering the weather, I doubt it'll be that hard to find water.

Daryl steals an old map of Georgia from the country club, but doesn't step foot in one of the bazillion Royal Farm stores (best fried chicken ever) or Wawas (pronounced WahWah for anyone not familiar with them) in Virginia and get a detailed map that shows the gazillion rivers?

I call BS on the drought with all that tall green grass in the middle of the field. Lots of no rain summers in Baltimore, but the streams never dried to dust and the grass was still green.

It's too dry for anything to be out there and the wood is too wet to burn? Water doesn't penetrate dry wood that quick.

Michonne steals every scene she is in. She and Sasha getting into it was tons of fun.

Daryl putting his cigarette out on his hand, childhood all over, he wants to cry about everything, but anytime he did as a kid his dad would give him something to cry about, so he gives himself something to cry about.

The dogs and rain appearing out of nowhere reminds me of the old joke about a Christian caught in a flood who prays and ignores the 2 boats and a helicopter and keeps praying, saying, "the lord will save me." He drowns and gets to Heaven and complains, "God, I prayed why didn't you save me." God says, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter." Our group is a lot smarter than that dude was. They eat the food and drink the water God provides, and he rewards them by blowing down the zombies. LOL

Whichever one of the guys noticed, nice catch on Sasha slashing Abraham with that walker blood covered knife. Here comes more of the BS inconsistencies TWD has been giving us for 5 seasons. I think they have decided they just don't care about how fans notice that something impossible last season is suddenly happening. Remember the old Star Trek epsiode where Kirk and crew made the Androids shut down? We are Norman. If we try to make any of what has happened in the past, consistent with what is playing out on screen in the present, our heads will explode. Just roll with it.

Thanks, Kim

• CoryCory New Scotland
    I think the survivors are the 2% from the Leftovers that went missing. When Sasha finally dies she'll appear to her local sheriff and convince him to shoot the dogs.
  • So, were they supposed to be 60 miles from D.C.? Still looked an awful lot like North Georgia. I guess I don't understand where they are supposed to be. Visually, it's like they didn't even attempt to change the scenery. Richmond and the surrounding area looks very different from where I live. I don't get how they were supposed to have traveled that massive distance and never picked up new supplies, new people, not even a new shirt or a razor blade.
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    I enjoyed this episode as a "filler" episode. I don't think it was very well paced, but it kept me attentive enough to still enjoy. I think you have to go in realizing there are always going to be a few slower episodes each season. In comparison, this type of "filler" episode was substantially better than the governor "filler" episodes.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I am just over this show, I think. Aside from a few intense bits, TWD has used up all their credibility with me. There was some good Maggie stuff here, and some brilliant Tyrese stuff last week, but overall I find myself just not caring anymore. Life is depressing, then you meet some bad guys and kill them, then some of yours die, then life is depressing again and you're hungry.

Did you guys ever have those hand-powered pencil sharpeners on the wall at school? You'd put the pencil in and crank it once or twice, then it would be sharp? You could also just crank and crank and sharpen the whole damn thing into a little nub. That's what TWD is like for me now, just cranking and cranking and all the characters just constantly getting smaller and smaller. And I don't even care about them because they never took the time to build satisfying arcs for them.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I thought the whole cigarettes into his hand was Daryl trying to make himself feel again. I liked the added touch of Maggie finding the kidnapped walker in the trunks shades of Beth. I enjoyed this episode the only real bowlshit was the znado.
  • A.Aron you weren't the only one who thought Abraham was cut by that knife swipe. I thought the same thing! Blew my mind when u said that on the instant cast. Also do you guys find it distracting watching the episode while simultaneously streaming your reactions to it? I watched the youtube thing you guys did while watching the episode and I enjoyed it but I also was thinking maybe it hurts your viewing of the episode in a way since you have to react to every scene. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • I've never been on the fence with this show. It's the one thing the whole family looks forward to watching together. I'm not sure what's expected by others, but I've enjoyed the ride and don't have many complaints.
  • ksa1001 said:

I've never been on the fence with this show. It's the one thing the whole family looks forward to watching together. I'm not sure what's expected by others, but I've enjoyed the ride and don't have many complaints.

I also don't have too many complaints. I enjoy it for what it is and never set my expectations high...I just come in each week to see what these characters are up too and generally enjoy the ride. I will say I did get an overwhelming 'god is real and hears all about the shit you guys are going through so here's a break' vibe from this ep. and thought it was kinda weird for this show.
  • @BRONCOTRUCK11 Yeah they were going for that it would seem, however the wife in particular found the scene of the entire group holding the barn door together quite moving.
  • ksa1001 said:

@BRONCOTRUCK11 Yeah they were going for that it would seem, however the wife in particular found the scene of the entire group holding the barn door together quite moving.

I found it moving too.
  • I can't shake a nagging feeling that the dry creek beds and no water to be found indicates that, somewhere upstream, a dam or aqueduct was built, diverting the water.

That would mean the lack of water isn't BS oversight by the writers, but a clue that there is a sophisticated group of survivors attempting to (re)build a city.

Or maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit...After all, they did come up with the idea that a horde of walkers can somehow find the group in the middle of a heavy storm while they're quietly holed up in a barn.
    I am not a picky TV watcher... The worst TWD is better than 95% of stuff on TV now. I take it at face value, and enjoy it.