TD season 3 looks to be a go, and David Milch is on board

This is really good news. Milch is one of the best goddamn tv guys in the business (Deadwood, NYPD Blue) and could definitely help Pizzolatto get his shit together and have True Detective rebound after season 2.

hisdudeness915alexander.klassenUnderwood

Comments

• Season 1 was amazing. I hated Season 2, though I'm not sure it was as bad as I thought it was at the time. Or maybe it was really bad. I seem to remember lots of plot threads that went nowhere. It didn't help that I couldn't understand a lot of the mumbled dialogue. I think I was having to watch it with subtitles by the end.

I'll only watch it if they bring back the Lovecraftian cult stuff from Season 1. That had so much potential. Not knowing whether Rust's hallucinations were real or not. Then they just abandoned all that. Big mistake :(
  • cdrivecdrive Screwston, TX
    Recently Matthew McConaughey — who starred in the first season — has publicly said he would be interested in reprising his role, but there’s no indication at this time what creative direction the next season would take.

Hell yes. So much this. Bringing back Detective Rust Cohle is pretty much the best thing this show could do for Season 3.  Because "Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime is a flat circle."

OliviaDMelonuskDoubleA_RonGeorge
  • This is good. I mean, Pizollatto needs someone to straighten him out. TD S2 had some cool moments and atmosphere, but was wayyyy to ambitious and ended up making no sense.

And Magnificent 7 was.... okay.
  • edited March 27
    The behind the scenes stories should be amazing.  Pizzolatto sitting in a dark room with sunglasses on arguing with Milch, who is laying flat on the floor because of his bad back.  Genius gonna' Genius. 
  • That's insanely promising. Deadwood was the best written show ever. Ultimately, I just hope they give Milch/Pizzolatto/whoever enough time to come up with a fully thought out idea for S3. Season 2 felt like it might have been better if it hadn't been rushed onto the screen within roughly a year, and I think HBO admitted as much.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Man, too bad they couldn't get Cary Fukunaga to come back for S3.  That vision was really missing from Season 2.

(hehehe..)
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    As someone who would love to see Rust back. I don't see how they can do Rust again. What made him so unique was how the story was (mostly) told was through an interview and flashbacks. Many of his best moments were in the interview. You can't do that again. I personally think the chances of them lessening Rust and taking away from the season 1 greatness are much higher than being able to replicate success.
    Corypodcartfan
    No Half Measures....
  • Hatorian said:

As someone who would love to see Rust back. I don't see how they can do Rust again. What made him so unique was how the story was (mostly) told was through an interview and flashbacks. Many of his best moments were in the interview. You can't do that again. I personally think the chances of them lessening Rust and taking away from the season 1 greatness are much higher than being able to replicate success.

I agree, i don't think they could have it make much sense.

Rust was pretty old and in rough shape by the time that season ended, odds aren't very good he gets another crazy case to solve at that point.

Also, we pretty well know what he was up to for the 30 years before that, cant really shove a story in there...
    Hatorian
  • Yea I'm all for making this a true anthology and having a new setting and characters. Let the "True Detective Season 3" memes begin!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, I never imagined TD would be back from the dead.  This is great news, IF Pizzolatto and Milch can work together.  Or hell, just give it to Milch.  I'd love to see some of his dialog drawl out of McConaughey's mouth.
    Underwood
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'd really love for Milch to finally put a cap on Deadwood with the HBO movie that keeps getting thrown around. I think I just need to give up the ghost on that one though. 
  • ceburaskaceburaska London, England, United Kingdom, European Union (but not for long)
    @Garthgou81 yes I fear we have no chance of any more Deadwood. Can we at least get McShane in TD3?
  • @Garthgou81 yes I fear we have no chance of any more Deadwood. Can we at least get McShane in TD3?
    Don't lose all hope!

Series creator David Milch’s “two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO,” Ian McShane reveals to TVLine exclusively, before adding with a laugh, “If they don’t deliver [a finished product], blame them.” 

http://tvline.com/2017/04/18/deadwood-revival-movie-hbo-ian-mcshane-returns/

And we will be graced with McShane on tv very soon in American Gods. I'm re-reading the book and already picture him perfectly as Mr. Wednesday.
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    This feels like a step backwards for HBO during a time when they should be focused on what's next seeing Game Of Thrones doesn't have much time left. I know they have Westworld and there's 52 weeks of content to fill so they need something but we're talking about a show that hasn't been on in 2 years and it could be another year before this even hits the air.