Are Adaptations That No One Asked For the new thing now?

Apparently Fox learned nothing from Gracepoint and are now developing an American version of Luther. Why? Luther is already available in America, and it stars Idris fucking Elba.

I get adapting The Returned, because Americans sure hate reading subtitles for some reason. I do not understand adapting English language shows that are already great the way are. I also wasn't aware that people were clamoring for shows based on Marley & Me or The Problem Child. Or maybe I'm just cranky today.

http://www.eonline.com/news/598884/a-luther-remake-is-in-the-works-at-fox-for-some-reason

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't get this thing of remaking English language shows at all. I read somewhere the other day that the US is making a version of an Australian show called The Slap. I know we mumble a bit but we're not so hard to understand that we need to be adapted in American voices!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I get it to a certain extent. The office became it's one unique show experience. I'd kind of argue that The Bridge was interesting merely from the switch of locals. And I think the American House of Cards is a much needed revamp of the old British series, simply because I find the production values of the old one unwatchable. But remaking Luther? Seems VERY suspect, just from the show's rep and as you guys say, Idris Fucking Elba.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I adored the American version of The Office (well, the first 5 seasons at least). I actually haven't finished Luther, but from what I've seen, an American version would be just another antihero cop show. It's entertaining, but it's not that great; it starts out making you think it's going to be a serious drama / cat & mouse game, then it switches to a pulpy, cliche procedural. What makes it worth watching is Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson, who is so beguiling I could watch her sipping tea while staring out a window.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ha, the one thing I dislike about Luther is Ruth Wilson's "ooh I'm being sexy and evil" whispering speech pattern. It does my head in.

The show itself is all over the place like a dog's breakfast but that's part of its charm to me.
  • MihaiMihai Timisoara, RO
    I know it might be superfluous and I haven't read the linked article yet, but I have read the Guardian one. Liked it

Guardian - Luther remake: why is Fox making a knockoff when it can import the real thing?
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/nov/18/luther-succeed-where-gracepoint-failed
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    According to Wikipedia, The Returned is not actually based on Les Revenants. And even with subtitles, Les Revenants is one of the most chilling shows I've ever seen.
  • Oh god. Yes. Yes. Yes.

WTF? Did Americans not watch Broadchurch because it was too, I don't know, interesting and British? Plenty of Americans watched. I think these dumb networks think that Americans are just too stupid to get some of these shows.

I have plenty of criticism for some American viewers, but I think we want good quality shows. The evidence is in the press for all the imports on Netflix we're watching. God. I turned on--I don't know--one of the major networks the other day: ABC, CBS, NBC, I forget which one. There was some comedy on that was soooo bad. There was a laugh track.

"Hey, network. 1975 called and wants their dated comedy back."

I'm sure they'll be trotting out a "remake" of Happy Valley any day now.

These execs should lose their jobs. Creatively bankrupt.

And Luther? LUTHER. Who the hell is going to play him? Elba is Luther.

(I met him by the way. He read my words. I wrote some radio commercials for Toyota that he did. Total badass.)
    edited January 2015
    @manhattnik - I can't find the link right now, but I heard that The Returned is, much like Gracepoint, a virtual remake of the original until the fourth episode, and then it veers off into its own thing. I wouldn't watch it at all, but I do like Mark Pellegrino and Carl Lumbly, so I may check it out.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/400657-the-trailer-for-aes-the-returned-premiering-march-9
  • Carl Lumbly? I haven't seen him in ages. I like the French Returned, but the ending kind of left me hanging.
    @Hollyoak - I loved Carl Lumbly in Alias. That show had an excellent cast. Too bad it went off the rails.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Please The Returned is epic...I'm not going to watch the remake. Yeah I really don't like remakes.
  • edited January 2015
    Dee said:

I don't get this thing of remaking English language shows at all. I read somewhere the other day that the US is making a version of an Australian show called The Slap. I know we mumble a bit but we're not so hard to understand that we need to be adapted in American voices!

When Mad Max was released in the US they originally redubbed it. I've never heard it but I think it's still available as a second audio track on the DVD, it must be hilariously awful.

This whole thread reminds me of the Showtime show Episodes, which is about a British show being adapted for American TV and being completely warped in the process by idiot studio execs.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @manhattnik‌ I think they mean the book The Returned. Resurrection is based on that book. The Returned (US upcoming TV series) is a remake of Les Revenants/The Returned, and nowt to do with the book The Returned. Confusing!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @ghm3‌ I am old so I remember the Mad Max dubbing scandal - we Aussies were suitably horrified, then we pointed and laughed. Wasn't the title changed in the US too? Road Warrior or something - Mad Max obviously didn't sound actiony enough!
  • @Dee To my knowledge The Road Warrior is just the name of the sequel; if it only has that name in the US I wasn't aware, I thought the complete title was Mad Max 2: Road Warrior but who'd say all that.

Not to thread hijack but this makes me think of a few other Australian movies (or at least themed) I've seen over that couple of years. that quickly come to mind The Hunter was really done but holy crap that movie is depressing as shit. The Loved Ones is still one of my favorite horror movies I've seen in the last several years, that home prom song/dance scene is still creepy as hell. I enjoyed Swerve a good deal too. I must say though, I hated Animal Kingdom, it got all this praise but I couldn't stand it, pretty much ever scene was torture as I recall, I'm surprised I made it all the way through.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 2015
    @ghm3‌ The Loved Ones is bonkers! I haven't seen Animal Kingdom but I imagine it is pretty grim. We seem to like those sorts of movies here - e.g. The Boys and Snowtown.
  • @Dee‌ Oh yeah Snowtown was depressing as hell too; you Aussies really do make a lot of bleak-ass movies don't you? :P

Oh! Romper Stomper is great stuff too. Earliest move I've seen with Russell Crowe. And yet another messed up movie, haha.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @ghm3‌ Snowtown is a true story so our warped imaginations can't be blamed for that one. ;-)

We do make some quirky, jolly ones though (The Castle, Spotswood). I don't think they travel terribly well though, because the humour tends to be very specifically Australian.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Dee Oh man, I knew that - how did I forget. I lived in Melbourne for years and that family were always in the news back in the day.
  • This turned into the Aussie movie thread, I guess. I saw Mad Max for the first time recently and absolutely hated it... but I suppose it was probably important during its time. I really liked Undead which is an alien zombie horror comedy.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Isn't Rake an Aussie show? And I'm a huge fan of Danger 5.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Jim Jones‌ I am not a Mad Max fan (I'll probably get kicked out of the country for saying that). I haven't seen it for years but I imagine it would be very dated.

@manhattnik‌ Yes, Rake is an Aussie show originally - the Greg Kinnear one is a remake.
  • @Jim JonesMad Max isn't the movie everyone talks about either though, at least not in the US. The Road Warrior is the one everyone thinks of when they think of Mad Max.