301- "Mabel"

Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
Directed : Vince Gilligan
Written : Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I am so excited about this! I'm working til midnight so I won't get to see it live, but I'll be back to share my thoughts later. I don't have a ton of expectations/predictions, but I do think that the Ernie=Gus's son theory is bullshit, for the record. 
    johnnyhands
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 11
    In honor of the premiere, I finally tried that new fast food place in town.  Real nice people, and the curly fries were somehow really hard hitting. 

MichelleCodyHarris821jazzminawaUnderwoodKingKobraDoubleA_Ronmanhattnik
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    If we have to wait until the start of next season to find out what happened to Gene... I will riot.
    TheEconomist
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Mad at myself for not getting some curly fries after work today.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Wow Gene got a heart attack from a policemans praise...
  • BornaBorna Long Beach, CA
    panic attack from thinking wtf have I become
    Doctor_Nick
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    When I saw gene pull out the book and start reading I was sooooo praying it would be revealed to be a Dream of Spring.

(and yah I knew it was way too skinny but...)
    hisdudeness915GuyTheEconomistmanhattnik
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    Pretty good episode. I don't see what Chuck thinks he can do with that tape unless he's just planning on making a bluffed threat to Jimmy. Jimmy could just say he "confessed" falsely because he was worried about his brother and wanted to make him feel better. I thought it was pretty smart of Mike to figure out how to track the people who bugged his car. At first I didn't know what he was doing when he hooked the bug up to the radio. Then I realized he was just running down the battery so they'd come and pick it up. Can't wait for next week!
    edited April 11
    I forgot Ernie's name was Ernesto. He looks like mini-Gus. Hispanic and looks like mini-Gus, that's a couple of coincidences for him not to be related. I wonder if Chuck screws with Ernesto so Gus screws with Chuck on Ernie's behalf? Would be interesting, but even if by proxy you'd think Saul and Gus would know much more about each other in Breaking Bad than they seem to.

Chuck has a big plan for the tape, apparently from the outset. Kudos to the writers for bringing up the problems with single party surreptitious recording. Since Chuck is planning and that tape is not very useful legally or with clients, gotta think it's meant for Kim, which Chuck knows will crush Jimmy. Chuck may blackmail him into giving up his Jimmy McGill license, then somehow Kim leaves anyway and you get Saul Goodman?
    MurderbearKingKobra
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Incredible episode, Mike feels so Breaking Bad I get mad at the Jimny detour despite his story being good in its own right. Mike scrapping the car leading to the tracker scheme leading to the stake out and bad ass ending, all of that done with few lines of dialog and tone set by sometimes chilling score. The wait is almost over, Gustavo returns next week.
    tom_gMelonusk
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    A good episode that sets the table for the season. I've noticed more and more that it is a tad odd that there aren't more courtroom scenes for a show about a bunch of lawyers. I am not unhappy with what we have received so far, but I guess I thought we'd have more courtroom drama by this point in the show. 
  • AdrianAdrian London
    I wonder if Gene is dead. Imagine if season 4 is the final season and it just opens with Gene's sparsely attended funeral.  

On the one hand, it would nicely round off the series and I wouldn't be surprised if they do contrast the height of Saul with a dark ending. But I keep hoping we'll get more of the post breaking bad world.  Maybe too much to ask, too risky for them?  Gene's life seems bleak enough that he'd risk going to see someone from his old life.  

Was excited for this episode and it was ok, but found the pace a little slow. Also hate seeing things go Chuck's way, quite looking forward to his demise however harsh.  And once the preview podcast mentioned him in the same retirement home as Hector, I'm not convinced that will happen!
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I thought it was a great episode from the start, its strange i love how slow a show like BCS or the Americans take plots slow but when TWD do it leads no where and annoys me. I give this show the berth to not go flat out and it makes me enjoy the show more because i trust the writers and ahow runners.

This is the smallest thing I had really hoped that the Junkyard belonged to Old Joe from BB but instead we got his doppelganger. It would have been a great call back to have him there but it just might not have been possible
  • It is amazing how few words are typically used to tell Mikes story.
    DaveyMac
  • davemcb said:

I thought it was a great episode from the start, its strange i love how slow a show like BCS or the Americans take plots slow but when TWD do it leads no where and annoys me. I give this show the berth to not go flat out and it makes me enjoy the show more because i trust the writers and ahow runners.

This is the smallest thing I had really hoped that the Junkyard belonged to Old Joe from BB but instead we got his doppelganger. It would have been a great call back to have him there but it just might not have been possible

I think a large part of that is characterization, like we all just thought a show that spent several minutes on how to take tape off a wall was more entertaining than a zombie thriller. All because we actually are invested in the characters and understand their motivations, back stories, and personalities deeply. Sad that TWD has been on air 7 seasons and its leading man isn't developed nearly as well as just about anyone on better call saul who has been on air 2 full seasons. 
  • What did Ernie hear on the tape? Was watching past my bed time - gonna have to rewatch.
  • Anyone else catch Sauls old lady client he was walking out mentioned she had Lilly of the Valley in her garden? Definitely don't think it's forshadowing anything but just thought it was a cool throw back.

Well I guess TECHNICALLY it is forshadowing something that happens in BB
    tom_gdarwinfeeshyMelonuskmanhattnikDaveyMac
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited April 11
    @tom_g he just heard Sauls voice and coupled with Chuck being so serious about him keeping it confidential I'm sure Ernie was concerned/curious-- which is what Chuck wante. Chuck wants Ernie to go to Saul and tell him
    MurderbearKela15
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 11
    Interesting how two plot lines had characters using dead batteries as a means to advance their agenda; Mike w/ using the "low battery" on the transmitter to turn the tables on Fring's goon, and Chuck using the battery change in the tape recorder to have Ernesto "accidentally" hear Jimmy's confession, which he clearly is not going to keep secret and tell Jimmy, as Chuck intends.

Let's take the battery themes further; Kim's battery seems to be running pretty low taking on the Mesa Verde project all by herself (plus she has to take on Jimmy's geriatric business when he's skipping out on work!). Guessing it's not going to be all roses for her by the end of the season. 

And in the "prologue" Gene's battery literally runs out when he breaks character from his Cinnabon manager alias for a minute. Keeping cover as Gene has probably been sapping the life out of Jimmy/Saul.

As always it's a delight to see how the Villigan and Gould meticulously reveal how these plots play out. Really looking forward to see where they go this season. And the cinematography is still top-notch. Anyone catch the lightning strike in the desert when Mike had stopped his car at the crossroads? His whole arc this episode - especially the junkyard - was really well shot and directed.
    gguenottom_gdarwinfeeshyMelonusk
  • Damn I'm happy S3 is off and running. 

What did running the electrical signal from the radio through the tracking device do?  I may have missed something, who knows.
  • Drained the battery.
    JujeedarwinfeeshyKingKobra
  • Jujee said:

Damn I'm happy S3 is off and running. 

What did running the electrical signal from the radio through the tracking device do?  I may have missed something, who knows.

He was draining the battery without having to disconnect it from the device.
    darwinfeeshyJujeeKingKobra
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    If I had to guess Chuck is operating under the idea that the coverup is worse than the crime, knowing Ernie would tell Jimmy he'd expect Jimmy to do something even more illegal to obtain that tape which he can actually get him on.
    Dummymanhattnik
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Alkaid13 said:

If I had to guess Chuck is operating under the idea that the coverup is worse than the crime, knowing Ernie would tell Jimmy he'd expect Jimmy to do something even more illegal to obtain that tape which he can actually get him on.

That sounds right to me. Chuck, for all his faults has always had Jimmy pegged. It does beg the question if Jimmy could have been more successful if he wasn't being second guessed and assumed the worst of at every turn. 
    manhattnik
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    At this point Chuck knows Jimmy has more loyalty than honor. He also doesn't just want to negotiate a surrender from Jimmy.

And not simply surrender from law, which Jimmy already offered... I think Chuck is truly jealous that Jimmy feels any ounce of success, ever, because he felt like their mother only loved Jimmy.

He knows that the only way to hurt Jimmy is to hurt Jimmy's friends. The more innocent the better. Kim wouldn't fold, so now Ernie.

I wouldn't leave it past Villigan to have that conversation with Ernie recorded by a SECOND recorder, (whose tape contains specific legal-sounding verbiage from chuck's soliloquy) that he then uses to remonstrate directly against Jimmy when Ernie tells Jimmy and Jimmy confronts Chuck.

The evidence doesn't need to be legally binding according to the constitution if Ernie signed away legal rights when being hired by HHM
    Underwood
    edited April 12
    I bet Kim would cut bait with Jimmy when confronted with Jimmy hanging himself with his own words.  She's already feeling icky about benefiting from what Jimmy did; she seems crestfallen in the partnership with Jimmy and the conversation with her friend at Mesa Verde becomes a little awkward when the friend starts in on what a loser Chuck was for them.....

• Directed : Vince Gilligan

Written : Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould
    Written, directed, edited by, and starring Sam Esmail!

I really hope that the mental moral flip-flopping by Kim was just a reminder in a premier episode, and not a season-long arc to come... Fuck, has The Walking Dead left me so jaded :-/
    Melonusk
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    I thought it was a little coincidencedental that the tape played for Ernesto when he was changing the batteries if that's what Chuck wanted. Now that I think about it he could've had the tape at that spot and had the play button already pushed so when Ernie put the batteries in it started playing.
  • Stoodawg said:

I thought it was a little coincidencedental that the tape played for Ernesto when he was changing the batteries if that's what Chuck wanted. Now that I think about it he could've had the tape at that spot and had the play button already pushed so when Ernie put the batteries in it started playing.

Yea I think that's what happened. Listening the the Insider Podcast these guys make sure every plot point has a logical explaination. Apparently they worked for two days thinking through where to put the tracking device in Mike's car! And their props department actually designed the tracker and the handset themselves and built it using a 3D printer and an arduino. Really cool stuff.
    KingKobraMelonusk
  • Every detail, so well thought out. Even if the story isn't amazing, it's still one of the best done shows on TV. No plot holes, no actions that are out of character, everything makes sense and everything just works because they don't let anything slip. Fantastic start to the 3rd season. 
    Underwood