Is The Leftovers worth it?

I'm 4 episodes into the first season and I can't decide if I'm enjoying it or not. The premise is pretty interesting, but I'm already tired of seeing almost all of the characters (with the exception of the Chief). So, is it worth it to stick it out? Or should I just move on? (No spoilers please, in case I decide to keep going!)
TheEconomistdarwinfeeshy

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited April 11
    Yes.

Starting with season one episode six, it's really really good. Season 2 is one of the best seasons of tv ever IMO.
    ChiefPizzaphoenyx1023Travisvoodoorathisdudeness915KingKobrapavlovsbellElisaFernNYC17Melonuskand 2 others.
  • so worth it even though the first season was a little tough to get to (just sort of unrelenting and bleak).
    ElisaDoubleA_RonPavkey88
  • Having a hard time bingeing this show.  Watching someone get stoned to death was not pleasant before bed.
  • yeah that part was real rough to get through, but that was the absolute low point for me.
  • Having a hard time bingeing this show.  Watching someone get stoned to death was not pleasant before bed.

Yea it's definitely not a good show for bingeing. That week in between episodes was a good thing most of the time. I'd put the Americans in the same category.
    Elisa
  • Due to how emotionally "heavy" this show is, I usually don't recommend binging it.
    ElisavoodooratMelonuskA_Ron_Hubbard
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Episode 6 is a clinic of Award winning TV. But if If it doesn't click for you then at least go Til episode 9 Garveys at their Best. Normally I wouldn't tell someone to watch 9 episodes of a show before they buy into it but you're already half way there and I went through the same thing personally. episode 9 was the real tipping point for me. 6 was like the mozzarella sticks and 9 was the pizza.
    Elisa

I basically got stoned to death last night
    voodooratFrakkin TakritenbrinkChiefPizza
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I had a difficult time with the first season. I didn't particularly like it, but I felt compelled enough to keep tuning in, and the second season is one of the best television seasons I've experienced.
    ElisavoodooratGredalBeeMichaelVCassidy
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    One a day "binge" is recommended.
    KingKobra
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    edited April 11
    Yes, But its not everyones cup of Tea
    Elisa
  • This is how I feel... I hear such good things about it from the guys and the forums, plus HBO has never really steered me wrong. Based on the premise I thought it would just worsen my existential anxiety and if it's extra depressing then I'm not sure how I'll take it. 

I think I'll give it a shot until episode 6 as recommended, and try not to binge. 
    Elisa
  • I was in your position a while back, and I binged both seasons.  I had a VERY hard time getting through the 1st season and ended up FF'd through some parts of some episodes. 

It's a very polarizing TV series, and some people on some forums take it very personally if you express criticism.  I think the casting has been a major downside of the series, and people really don't like hearing that.  Many people claim the 2nd season is the best season in television history, which is why I powered through S1.  I think the 2nd half of S2 is pretty good, but the 1st half of S2 was maybe a little better than S1. 

Looking back  I probably could've done some other things with my time. but I'll probably watch S3 just to finish out the story.  FWIW, the only TV I watch and enjoy is the cable drama stuff like Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Shield, Mad Men,Homeland, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, True Detective.  I don't watch much else.
    alexander.klassen
  • GuyGuy with some Grist for the Mill
    Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and suppose there exists a silent minority of Leftover viewers that just don't get all the fanfare this show gets.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and find it compelling.  I'm looking forward to where the story goes in S3, but the over the top superlatives of S2 being the best season of television ever is way too much of a stretch for me.

I'm considering a re-watch only for the simple reason that I feel like I'm missing something.  Anyone feel the same?

DeeGredalBeeChiefPizzaDaveyMac
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 11
    I'm the (not so) silent minority that @Guy refers to above. I watched all of the first season and except for a couple of excellent bottle episodes, I was bored and annoyed most of the time. I watched the first two episodes of the second season and couldn't take any more of it.

I mean, I *kind* of get why people bang on about it (I don't really, but I can see it's QUALITY television), but I find it a snooze fest.

P.S. I also wasn't jazzed with the book, and I'm a big fan of most of Tom Perrotta's other books.
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN

I had a difficult time with the first season. I didn't particularly like it, but I felt compelled enough to keep tuning in, and the second season is one of the best television seasons I've experienced.

I started season one but stopped after I think 4 bc it was not enjoyable. That said would I have to finish season one to watch season two?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 11

I started season one but stopped after I think 4 bc it was not enjoyable. That said would I have to finish season one to watch season two?
    Yes, I think so. I mean, you could read the wiki synopses for the S1 episodes, but I think to really appreciate the emotional heft and catharsis of the second season, you have to experience the first season. And who knows, you might grow to like it -- it's polarizing. I found it to be an unpleasant experience, especially the Guilty Remnant, but the second season is a bit of a paradigm shift, adds some badly needed (dark) humor, Christopher Eccleston's performance becomes less stagey, and "International Assassin" makes the whole thing worth it, imo.

That said, I stalled on the fourth episode (of S1) when it was airing and caught up a few weeks later, and then again recently when watching along with a friend who was watching for the first time. With the exception of a couple of episodes and Justin Theroux and Carrie Coons, I really do not care for the first season.
  • ShumShum Utah
    edited April 11
    I'm one of the few people that was hooked by this show almost immediately. Between the characters, the emotion, and the music everything just clicked for me from the jump. I'm almost done rewatching both seasons, and I might even have a slight preference for season 1. It's less exciting, but more grounded and emotional in a lot of ways. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment when it comes to TV dramas. With that in mind, I would say get through episode 6, and then move on if you're still not feeling it.
    Elisafathergeorge
  • Guy said:

Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and suppose there exists a silent minority of Leftover viewers that just don't get all the fanfare this show gets.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show and find it compelling.  I'm looking forward to where the story goes in S3, but the over the top superlatives of S2 being the best season of television ever is way too much of a stretch for me.

I'm considering a re-watch only for the simple reason that I feel like I'm missing something.  Anyone feel the same?

I'm a BIG fan of the show, but to call it the best season of television ever is over the top to me. What it may be is one of the strongest S2 thus far. Good TV is hard to do, continuing to do good TV is often much harder. S2 might even have eclipsed S1 in quality, i keep seeing that "maybe I missed something", yoI probably didn't, the show just didn't connect with you on the same level and that's OK ;) you don't have to agree with everything and having your own opinion makes you a more valuable contributor :)
    ElisaChiefPizza
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I liked the first 7 episodes of Season 2, but then it really went off the rails.. In a show that begs you to suspend disbelief, once you call bullshit on it, it's basically ruined.

I doubt I'll watch season 3 until after the final verdict is in. ("Won't Get Lost'd Again" ;)
    Elisa
  • edited April 12
    Season 2 was better than season 1. I would highly recommend them though. It's a very interesting show that gets better as it goes on.

However, as someone who was able to binge both seasons, I question how I'll feel about this show if I watch it week-to-week. There are so many pivots, tangents, and straight up weird shit that idk if I can handle waiting a week between episodes. I feel like I would just get angry or disinterested.

To answer your question, yes, I would recommend this show. Definitely one of the most interesting dramas on currently running. 

It also doesn't suffer from the Mr. Robot BS of not answering any fucking questions. Leftovers actually provides full plot arcs within each season.

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    S1 was a downer, I dropped off after episode 3.  That said I went back when I was able to binge one a day and I haven't looked back.  I do and did enjoy watching and listening to the bald move podcasts between each episode.  That was the only way I could get thru S1.  Good TV yes, best ever, no.
    Underwood
  • edited April 12
    Oh, and another thing about this series. They really need to get a larger score. 

They repeat music so. fucking. much.

I'm all for musical themes, but they seriously play this song 5 times an episode:

aberry89AjasChiefPizza
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    If you like meditations on philosophy, religion, grief loss and the uncertainty of life, it's GREAT!

And, I am gunna sound condescending here, but I feel like you need to be at least mid-twenties before you can get on this ride, I know in my younger years I would have been bored and confused by all of this. Wrote it off as arty nonsense. 
    fathergeorge
  • aberry89aberry89 California

Oh, and another thing about this series. They really need to get a larger score. 

They repeat music so. fucking. much.

I'm all for musical themes, but they seriously play this song 5 times an episode:

Rivals LOST for best musical score for a tv show.  @darwinfeeshy
    Shum
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    At the end of the day there is too much good media out there to waste time on stuff you aren't liking. I had a hard time with Season 1 until about midway through the season as others have mentioned. But god I am glad I did. Because Season 2 had some of the most harrowing, emotional moments I can recall seeing on TV. As others have also mentioned it isn't for everyone, and again--find something you like if it isn't clicking for you. 
  • I'm 4 episodes into the first season and I can't decide if I'm enjoying it or not. The premise is pretty interesting, but I'm already tired of seeing almost all of the characters (with the exception of the Chief). So, is it worth it to stick it out? Or should I just move on? (No spoilers please, in case I decide to keep going!)

I had this problem last year. IMO, yes, it is worth watching. Super high production quality, acting, etc., but allow me to share a few thoughts:

• If the Guilty Remnant (or any aspect of the show relating to cults) seems super obtuse, it's not you. The show has not ever gone out of its way to explain WHY people willingly go along with such behavior, so I had to accept that "that's just how it is", although there are plenty of Bald Movers (obviously including J & A) that have life experience that seemed to jive with what they saw in the show, so I guess it's accurate.

• Most people say this about The Leftovers, but it is absolutely a delayed gratification type of show. For me, it didn't help that I had watched Mr. Robot just before, where they forgot the gratification part altogether. Leftovers is not as insensitive to the audience.

• A lot of people have used the phrase "it's not for you" to answer the OP question, generally speaking. I hate that sentiment! It makes no sense to me that somebody could be enjoying something so much and then turn around and say that, so, I say The Leftovers IS for you if you like strong television, and are willing to not have everything immediately explained in a plot.
    darwinfeeshyhisdudeness915MelonuskChiefPizza
  • edited April 12
    aberry89 said:

If you like meditations on philosophy, religion, grief loss and the uncertainty of life, it's GREAT!

And, I am gunna sound condescending here, but I feel like you need to be at least mid-twenties before you can get on this ride, I know in my younger years I would have been bored and confused by all of this. Wrote it off as arty nonsense. 
    I was 18 when I watched the first two seasons and loved it. I'm not sure how much age factors into it (at least to a degree, since I certainly wouldn't have gotten the show when I was 15 or 16) - but I feel like more than anything else it just depends on the person - more than anything on TV, this is a show that you're either into or you're not into. Not everyone is going to like the same things, and that's fine.

Going back to the OP - there have been plenty of these kinds of "You guys told me The Leftovers was awesome, but I'm really not getting it after x number of episodes, what do?" threads on the forums in the last year and a half. Some of those people eventually came around on the show, and some of them didn't. Even if you get to season 2 (a top 5 all time season of television IMO - I'm rewatching it now to prepare for season 3 and it absolutely holds up), you still might not like it - like I said, not everyone is going to like the same things. But season 2 is so good that it's absolutely worth getting through season 1 to find out. 

One last thought: as plenty of people have said, this is not a show for binge-watching, even if you can deal with the emotional heaviness. The creators put a lot of effort into making each episode feel complete in its own way, and you can appreciate that a lot more if you leave a bit of time between watching each one.

edit: I find it pretty funny how many people had their "do I want to keep watching this?" moment after episode 4. There seems to be a consensus that that particular episode (it's the "Jill steals the baby Jesus" one) is the low point of the series, and I'd be inclined to agree.
    aberry89
  • ChiefPizzaChiefPizza Akron, OH
    Thank you to everyone for the input! I think it's safe to say everyone on this forum has a pretty similar taste in television (or else we wouldn't all be listening to the same podcasts, right? haha), so I fully trust your opinions. I'm going to keep watching. Even though I'm on the fence at the moment, I am really interested in the whole premise. This also seems to largely be a character study more than anything else, which describes most of my favorite shows, so I have high hopes that the juice will be worth the squeeze.
    MelonuskSomeBiscuit
  • Cool! We'll look forward to hearing what you think!!  (for the record, I admired the first season while watching but the last two episodes elevated it to the best series of the year for me; 
    soooooo glad I've been watching because I almost didn't start it after hearing so many negative reviews--Alan Sepinwall's praise for it got me to take a chance). 

I'd say "have fun!" but it's not fun, but worth it
    ChiefPizza