Q&A for Club Bald Move

Jim and I announced our new, home grown crowd fan funding initiative, Club Bald Move today on TWD podcast. Our goal was to make it fan friendly, affordable, and easy to use and for us to maintain. We are eventually moving away from Patreon and Subbable to support all the features of those sites as well as much lower costs to you.

I'm sure people will have questions, so let's have them. I'm kind of self conscious about the multiple funding wagons we've had going, Kickstarter, Subbable, Patreon and now this, but this is pretty much the final destination. We were really all set to stick with Subbable and Patreon for the long haul, but there's a few things we couldn't do on those platforms, and ultimately there some things coming down the pikes from those channels that we were really leery of, so the time to start moving away from third party solutions we had no control over is now.

Thanks so much for everyone that has supported thus far, and I hope you guys will see this as an awesome value to get at a lot of bonus material and features you're actually interested in and entertained by. Anyway, I'm being longwinded again, let me know what you're thinking!

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Okay, well I've been thinking of moving away from Subbable and taking all my funds to Patreon because I hate having direct deductions off my credit card and Subbable doesn't do PayPal. So should I just hold off on that for now if this is going ahead in the near future? And I guess my second question would be will there be an option to use PayPal?
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Congratulations on doing this directly. It sounds very easy and affordable, so hopefully a lot of listeners will sign up. My only question right now is when do you estimate ending the Subbable support? I've maintained my Subbable support in addition to Patreon only to contribute to the crowd-sourced commissioned podcast(s), but yes, it will be nice to have one method of direct support.
  • I was wondering how difficult will it be to access all the extra content or whatever that is included with Club BM. I already support you guys on patreon but never really understood how to view/listen to all the extra stuff. I'm signing up and think this is a great idea keep up the good work you guys.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Club Bald Move accepts Pay Pal and just Payl Pal right now. We'll be adding Stripe support in the coming weeks so we can accept credit cards without needing a paypal account. We'll also be adding Amazon payments, which should pretty much take care of everybody.

Well, we're not sure about when we're ending Patreon or Subbable, just yet. Patreon is easy enough, but we want to give people time to cancel that and move over. Subbable we're not sure yet, for a variety of reasons which we'll talk soon, but the big reason is we want to make sure we can let people use their Subbable balances with Club Bald Move for doing the Commissioned Podcast stuff.

It should be very easy to access the new content. The content will be visible on the site, you just won't be able to watch the video/listen to the premium podcasts. If you click to view/listen/whatever, it will redirect you to the sign up page, or if you're a member and you're logged in, you can just access the content. And you'll also have VIP access to the forums instantly.
    edited February 2015
    Also, right off the bat this is going to save us about 5% in processing fees. Which believe you me ain't nothing. We might have some bumps along the way, but we're committed to getting our funding as independent as we possibly can.
  • We want to make sure we can let people use their Subbable balances with Club Bald Move for doing the Commissioned Podcast stuff.

This reads like our Subbable balances will transfer to Club Bald Move. How does that work? Or are you just saying... "use your Subbable $$ while you got 'em."
  • LouballsLouballs Ft Lauderdale
    I signed up for the club, should I cancel my patreon now?
    It is our intention to help the Subbable people to get their balances and make use of it. I don't think we're going to be able to let people use their subbable balances to get shitloads of Club Bald Move memberships, because they're not the same kind of service. But, we are already in the works adding a feature to CBM to emulate the "layaway" feature of Subbable so people can continue to save up for a Commissioned Podcast.

I have no idea how we'll actually transfer the balances, because that's not worked out yet. I can say that it could be as dirty as printing out a report that has people's balance and the manually entering that into the new system or crediting back a future purchase with the balance and marking it off. I know this part sounds a bit nebulous, and unfortunately I can't talk a lot about the Subbable deal for reasons which will become clear in a few weeks.

As far as cancelling Patreon, you could. As of today, all premium content will be posted to both places simultaneously, and we'll continue to do so until we sunset Patreon. I think if you cancel you still get everything until your monthly runs out, so that would insulate you against any bumps we might have on the Club Bald Move side.
  • handythinkshandythinks Fort Worth, TX
    Just joined and glad to do it. Where do I find the premium features? I see the ad free feed in the menu... Is there a page I'm missing?
  • Just signed up. great idea to offer one year memberships paid up front. And what an incredible deal. Keep up the great work.
  • edited February 2015
    I hope this doesn't come off as being a dick especially since this is you guys' livelihood now, but this really needs to be the last major overhaul with support. I'm a Subbable subscriber and that took me a while to figure out. Adding Patreon only confused me and scrapping both in favor of Club Bald Move is going to confuse me again. I understand it's smart for you guys to do it this way because you wouldn't do it otherwise, but you can't do too many more of these switches before people like me just say "fuck it I have no clue anymore, I'm out".

Actually, I just looked through my email to figure out how to finally access ad-free podcasts and I realized I used to subscribe to Subbable and now I actually am on Patreon. I'm part dumbass apparently, but this should show you how confusing this is to us dumbasses. Also...how DO I get those ad-free feeds? I'm trying to reset my password to log in to the main site which is apparently different from forums.baldmove.com and it's not recognizing my email. Maybe I should take this off board and one of you can message me?
    @tvisgreat, yeah man, I get it. As I said, this is a huge concern for us, but I appreciate you working through it with us. If we knew then what we know now, we'd have gone our own way from the get go, but we didn't and for all these hoops I apologize. Email me at merch@baldmove.com and I'll help you out. I'm going to be working on some docs and tutorials this week to help make things easier, and if course we'll be streamlining things and fixing bugs as we find them. Sorry!
    The Podcasts and the feeds are good to go. I'm going to backfill all of the lunch with Jim and a. Rons starting this week, and moving forward they'll be posted to Bald Move's website. If you're logged in, you can watch live Videos and other content on our site or in your YouTube app. It's as easy as visiting the website. Forum integration will happen in the next day or two, and you'll get an email that will tell you how to get into your forum account.
    Looking forward to the lunches. Do you have a page with a programming schedule?
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    edited February 2015
    So the Club Bald Move is a flat price... if we wanted to stick at a $5 month rate or more, the only way to do that would be through donating?

Edit: never mind... I see that you can enter your own price...

Two more questions though:
    1. Would it be better for you guys for us to subscribe in one lump sum annually, or to do a monthly subscription?
    2. Are we still working towards crowd sourced commissioned podcasts?
    @AndrewTobey you can set your amount per month or year.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    This is perfect. I didn't like so much having 2 different platforms, but I wanted the perks of each one. I'm curious about the Subbable $ I have banked, but I trust you guys. (I'm also damn curious what you've heard about Patreon and Subbable that made you want to jump ship.)
  • Just moved my $5 a month from Patreon to Club Bald Move. Looks like I have created a new forum account in the process.

Happy to help ya'll however you want. Keep being fucking funny and please don't shit on Better Call Saul :)

• Actually I guess thats my question. This was my patreon based account log-in, I just created a Club Bald Move log in. Can we merge the two somehow?
  • Actually looks like it automatically has.

Fuck it, I dont even use these forums so what do I care?
  • Silly question. If I say do a year upfront, am I able to make one time contributions at other points in time? (be it just because, or to bank more funds for future podcast funding?)
  • Done, moved my monthly Patreon $$ to Club Bald Move.
    Yep, you can still use any of the donation options on support.baldmove.com. We'll be revamping that page next, and maybe we'll ad a "tip jar" feature on the shopping cart or something to make it easier.

We don't have a page with the programming schedule, or actually we do, at calendar.baldmove.com, but we stopped using it after the whole Month of the Dead thing last year and now it appears to be broken. We will get it going again.
    If anyone is curious how the premium content will be surfaced, they can check out the newest Live podcast for Better Call Saul. If you're not a member, you'll see an ad telling you how you can join or asking you to login, if you are a member, it just shows you the content.
    FYI: It didn't show me the content and I am logged in. Screenshot
  • FYI: It didn't show me the content and I am logged in. Screenshot

Ditto here
    Whoops, we're looking at this now!
    Should be working now.
  • Yep thats working for me, nice one!
  • Just making sure because it's an odd name. "Kerkhoff Lomelino" is the payee on the Club Bald Move monthly charges, right?
    NikkiP