Q&A for Club Bald Move

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yep, that's the official name of Jim and I's company, Bald Move is a DBA.  We're going to try to fix that this year, but yeah it's legit.
  • A. Ron said his last name rhymes with jerkoff, so Kerkhoff seems legit!
  • @Professor_P Ha!

Thanks for confirming @a.ron.hubbard. I figured but just wanted to make sure.

• Before I make the move, what would be better for you fellas financially: a yearly subscription or a monthly?

P.S. I, for one, really enjoy the emails for every goddamn thing you post.
  • handythinkshandythinks Fort Worth, TX
    @AndrewTobey, generally the CC/paypal fees are always a transaction fee + percentage of spend. So the less transaction fees the better for the merchant.
    historicstork
  • I joined the club but have a question. Is the rss feed for premium content where i should be looking for everything or are the live watches posted some place else?
  • JimJim
    edited February 2015
    @AndrewTobey @Chris is right.  We make slightly more money off of the yearly subs if you give the same total amount.  At the minimums ($2/mo or $1/yr), we actually make more off the monthly.

@bender6681 We're still working out how to get the premium stuff into people's ears / eyes but for now, the live watches aren't in RSS feeds, only the podcasts are.  The live watches are in their own posts which are listed on the homepage at the time we schedule them.
  • Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
    edited February 2015
    Live watch tonight?
    Edit: never mind I see it now!
    Any chance there will be a calendar showing live broadcasts?
    You know it!  Check the thread for the episode for the link!
  • Would it be possible to create a separate archive page for the lunches with J&A? It would be nice to have one location for those.
    ngwils02
  • @Louballs77 Some kind of list of upcoming premium content is a thing we're figuring out now.  Also, @AntManBee, We're going to be sprucing up the 'Account' page with links to premium stuff and adding the video archives, including Lunch w/ J&A.  For now, the easiest way to get to them is to go to http://baldmove.com/category/premium/
    We now have a "coming soon" feature on the sidebar of Bald Move.  What do you guys think?  Also, I'd like to know the following, from club bald move members and non-members alike.  Would you prefer to get a Facebook update for the Live recording, and then a separate Facebook update for the cast when it's edited and published?  Same thing for twitter.  Would you like to get an email notification when any premium content is posted or scheduled?  Or would you prefer to use the website to view and interact with the schedule?  Would it change your answer if any of the above were opt-in (or more likely, opt-out)?
  • handythinkshandythinks Fort Worth, TX
    edited February 2015
    • I never see the Facebook updates (due to Zuck's algorithm limiting the reach of "brand" pages significantly). For those that do see it (likely people who visit the Facebook page often), I would keep it to one post (again, due to the algorithm) so that it will get more eyeballs on it. Going back and edit the Facebook post when the it's edited and published will be the best of both worlds. 
    • Twitter: I would have a new tweet with every update. Its a real time feed.
    • Email: I would set up some options here. 
      1. Instant notifications of all blog posts.
        • I subscribe to several blogs this way.
      2. Get notified of live watches/instant takes/recordings via email
        • some people will not want to get every email, as their podcatcher will update them of new podcasts, but will want to participate in live events
      3. Weekly Digest: Bald Move Weekly
        • This weekly email would be written by you guys and include any relevant "big news", upcoming projects, etc.. 
        • Schedule of upcoming shows for the week and , links to the feeds for these shows
          • this would be as simple as: Walking Dead (hyperlinked to iTunes Feed) - Live Watch Sunday @ 9c Instant Cast to follow, Full Podcast Tuesday @ 2pm.
        • Links to last weeks shows
        • This is an important email for a variety of reasons. I was thinking about your delivery message for the rollout of Club Bald Move, and no one who only might only listen to the Game of Thrones Cast and the Fargo Cast would have any idea. 
        • Links to support you: Amazon affiliate links
        • Forward to a friend links
        • Maybe eventually exclusive newsletter only content like detailed show notes, or something. This would give you a way to give a "free" call to action on your shows. First time listeners might not be ready to join Club Bald Move, but they might be willing to sign up for the "weekly", where you can more directly communicate with them.
        • Include favorite user tweets/posts in there too to encourage listener interation.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @A_Ron_Hubbard The sidebar is very cool, as are the changing text colors.  I'm fine with whatever notifications you need to do to reach maximum listeners, and I will always prefer to opt-in/out. 
    YAASSSS, now that's some fucking feedback!  Yeah, I like the weekly digest, we've been kicking some ideas around that, probably a monthly too / instead of.  Great stuff, thank you!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I love the idea of a weekly digest.

What is the LWJ&A – “02/27/2015″?

That would be Lunch with Jim and A.Ron. You can see a partial archive of them at http://baldmove.com/tag/lwj&a
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited February 2015
    Loving the way the Club Bald move is developing, the "coming soon" sidebar is a great shout.

And yeh I can't improve on @handythinks , agree with basically all of that.

Just on the e-mail issue, my preference would be to get an e-mail every time you're posting somthing live with the option to opt out in case anyone does find it too much.

Same goes for Facebook, post it all on there, I never see any BaldMove posts untill about 12 hours after they've been put up anyway so why not.
  • The sidebar is real nice. And I also totally agree with @handythinks ' post.

Another question: Any chance in the future you'd be able to create a Bald Move phone app? I'd love to be able to access all BM content from one centralized app on my phone.
    @AntManBee, yeah, that's something we've toyed with.  Libsyn kind of makes it easy, but at the cost of a significant monthly fee going forward, and I don't think we have any flexibility on the pricing in the app stores, and the price would be like $5, which is pretty high for this kind of app.  We could also roll our own solution, since I've had experience programming on the android platform, and Jim has had some experience on iOS, and the kind of thing we'd want to do isn't exactly rocket science, that way we'd have the flexibility of charging something nominal or even giving it away to club bald move members, and we could do anything we want with it.

On the other hand, that takes time, which at certain points of the year is in short supply.
  • ksa1001 said:

FYI: It didn't show me the content and I am logged in. Screenshot

Ditto here
    I am having this same issue still
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    This might be a dumb question, but how do you put your location next to your name? Cant figure it out for the life of me.
    @Underwood, check your profile now, looks like that field was missing, so I put it back.  Other's were showing because they had set it up on the old forum so it came on through.
    @Shum, which content isn't showing up for you?  Is it everything?  
  • Um, kind of paid for the much-vaunted "ad free " content but I'm still getting the regular old ad filled podcasts.
    Not that I mind, really, but am I effing this up somehow?
  • @Shum, which content isn't showing up for you?  Is it everything?  

Nevermind, it's showing up now.

• That was weird, I just put words in your mouth.  Everything's working for me now.
  • edited February 2015
    Jim said:

@Louballs77 Some kind of list of upcoming premium content is a thing we're figuring out now.  Also, @AntManBee, We're going to be sprucing up the 'Account' page with links to premium stuff and adding the video archives, including Lunch w/ J&A.  For now, the easiest way to get to them is to go to http://baldmove.com/category/premium/

Is that the link I use for the live LWJA feed coming up at 1? Sorry, I'm still a little confused.

Edit: Never mind. I figured it out. Thanks.
  • Um, kind of paid for the much-vaunted "ad free " content but I'm still getting the regular old ad filled podcasts.
    Not that I mind, really, but am I effing this up somehow?

The ad-free feed should be linked on your account page as "Ad-Free Podcast Feed": http://baldmove.com/my-account/

You'll have to go there, get the link, and add it to your podcast app.  Hope that helps.  If not, PM me and I'll walk you through it.
  • DennisTarboxDennisTarbox Richmond, VA
    edited February 2015
    This may be a dumb question but is the login for purchasing not linked to the forum account? It won't let me login there so I'm assuming it is not.

Edit: Says an account is already associated with my email address, so I guess it is linked? Either way, it won't let me sign up OR log in to check out.