Harlots

MichelleMichelle California
edited April 2017 in Other TV
Has anyone been watching this new original series on Hulu? I love period pieces and especially the late 1700s, so this was an easy sell for me. Plus, it's got a great cast with some recognizable names: Samantha Morton (John Carter, Minority Report, Fantastic Beasts, and so much more), Jessica Brown-Findlay (Downton Abbey), Danny Sapani (Sembene on Penny Dreadful), and so many others. The show centers around the rivalry between two brothel madams (one affluent, one working class) in 1760's London, but it's also character driven with the many 'harlots' in their employ. They just aired the 3rd episode and I'm all in. Definitely check it out!
DeeElisaEine Frau

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I was thinking about it. I keep forgetting about Hulu but I do want to check it out.
    ElisaMichelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Sounds like my kind of thing, I'll definitely be checking it out!
    ElisaMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Yes I need to check it out.
    Michelle
  • This sounds like something I'd like. Might as well make use of the Hulu I keep paying for.
    Michelle

• I'm a sucker for period pieces too, but will wait until I can get the whole season before watching it. Glad to hear it's good!!! 
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited April 2017
    It's a ton of fun, and the writing is pretty solid. (I also LOVE this time period). And goddamn, if Samantha Morton doesnt have the best whore's laugh I've ever heard!

On the downside - FUCKING MODERN POP IN MY PERIOD DRAMAS GET OUT. Yeah, it's a pet peeve. Marie Antoinette did it, and now everyone is just trying to copy it. It worked for me in that film because they went all in - same with Knight's Tale. But it's such a trend nowadays to throw in some modern music to make history edgy and relateable for the teens!!! History is not hard to relate to, they were people - write them well and your job is done, modern pop is just lazy shorthand. 
    Elisahisdudeness915
  • Looks interesting, will check it out!
    Michelle
    We finally have a premiere date for season 2!  Mark your calendars for July 11!  :smile:
    Season 2 just started!  The first two episodes are up on Hulu and they do not disappoint!

Is anyone other than me watching?  If not, you're missing out!  The cast is all-star with extensive credits to their names:  Samantha Morton, Kate Fleetwood, Lesley Manville, Danny Sapani (BM'ers may recognize him as Sembene in Penny Dreadful), Jessica Brown Findlay (memorably as Lady Sybil in Downton Abbey), Liv Tyler, and *so* many others.  

• hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for the reminder! I forgot to finish season 1 but need to get back on that. There’s too much TV!!!!!!!!!
    Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    @Michelle I just now got around to this. I've watched two episodes... So good! I love the use of modern music, the costumes, hair, makeup, etc. I love the way it recognizes the darkness in their lives immediately but also has a lot of humor. I'm definitely hooked!
    Michelle
    @akritenbrink It's soooooo good!  You're only 2 episodes in - just wait, it gets crazy!  And then there's season 2 which is off the hook!  @hisdudeness915 did you ever finish season 1?
    akritenbrink
    @Michelle I just now got around to this. I've watched two episodes... So good! I love the use of modern music, the costumes, hair, makeup, etc. I love the way it recognizes the darkness in their lives immediately but also has a lot of humor. I'm definitely hooked!
    Samantha Morton is so perfect in this role!  Her cackle just kills me.  But also, wow, Lesley Manville is amazing.  Like, I can actually picture her being Lydia Quigley back in the day, not just acting on screen.   But yeah, they did an incredible job with the makeup and wigs, and just little things that are so true to that time. 
    akritenbrink