13 Reasons Why on Netflix

ThomasThomas North Carolina
edited April 2017 in Other TV
Anybody watch this?  Got roped into watching it and its almost as poorly written as TWD.  

Comments

• joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I am guilty. What can I say... I am total sucker for fictionalized teenage drama bs. It is the the tv series equivalent of cherry Bazooka bubblegum.
  • edited April 2017
    I started watching it out of morbid curiosity and then had to finish it out just to see how the writers would end it. I agree that the writing is just awful, especially the dialogue and character motivations.

****spoilers if you even care about that for this show***

I really hated that Hannah did not directly address Jessica on the tape that her rape is revealed. Instead she addressed Justin in a SECOND tape for him. Two young women are raped by the same person, one witnessing the other one going through it, and the writers can't give us ONE scene or even acknowledgement of that shared pain between two women without injecting a man into the middle of it (Justin). It just proves that these writers truly don't understand what it is they are writing about. The fact that she made a tape for Jessica blaming her for her suicide even after she knows what Jessica is dealing with and has gone through the same thing herself proves that the writers no idea what the fuck they are doing.

Also, Hannah, in the midst of suicidal depression, somehow finds the energy to tape her counselor? I never understood why she did that. Was she expecting him to not help her? If so, why? And the scene of her outside of the counselor's office, telling her recorder that he wasn't following after her gave the following scene of her suicide less poignancy I think. It made her suicide seem like it was more about punishing her counselor than it was about the bullying and sexual assault she endured. I also never understood exactly why all those high school student felt the need to protect Bryce?

Whatever. This show sucks.
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    I am glad I am not alone in this.  It started strong, but it got so lazy I just gave up.  Hannah was wronged twice to start and had reason to be depressed, but instead of using her brain she just kept going back to the same group of friends hoping they would each be different to her.  She also made stupid decisions, such as when they were trying to catch the creepy kid photographing her, but instead got drunk and decided to have a lesbian moment with the lights on and window open!

The other complaint is that they just keep complaining about how all boys are assholes and then try to paint the bullies as always being jocks.  The show essentially bullies a class of high schoolers in itself.  

It does hit on important topics, but it does so in such a terrible written way that you just don't care about Hannah by the end.

Also, why do all the high school kids look 40 and have neck tattoos?!?
  • On episode 4 or five of side B of tape....whatever.......I got hooked in the beginning, was intrigued by the premise, unfortunately the execution is off the mark, and with each passing moment, I'm getting increasingly frustrated, and not in the MR Robot S2 frustrated. May give it another episode, prognosis looks dim.
  • alextoddandersonalextoddanderson Indianapolis
    I watched season 1 thinking that the writing could not be worse. But after completing season 2, I clearly underestimated just how low the shit hole goes. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    You watched the second season of a show that had the worst writing you've ever witnessed in a show? But yeah, I watched the first season and found it very disturbing (as it should be), I guess the writing didn't really stand out to me. I have no clue why a second season was necessary outside of it being a straight-up cash grab from Netflix. Shouldn't be surprised I guess considering how well the first season treated them. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    I loved the first season, but I haven't heard any good things about the second, so I'll probably pass.  Definitely feels like a cash grab.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Kind of hated the first season so didn't bother with the second. I did read the episode rundowns on the Wiki page and it sounds even more problematic than before.

Someone I know loves the show and vehemently disregards any criticism because she argues that it is about rape culture and nothing else. Sure, there's no denying rape culture is an integral theme, but you just do not throw in suicide without an ounce of sensitive and sensible mental health conversation, and 13 Reasons seems to treat killing yourself as a measured, sensible and clear minded decision, logical end of the road type stuff. It's fucking not.
  • alextoddandersonalextoddanderson Indianapolis
    You watched the second season of a show that had the worst writing you've ever witnessed in a show? But yeah, I watched the first season and found it very disturbing (as it should be), I guess the writing didn't really stand out to me. I have no clue why a second season was necessary outside of it being a straight-up cash grab from Netflix. Shouldn't be surprised I guess considering how well the first season treated them. 
    It was like one of those train wrecks I couldn’t look away from. I ended up riff tracking the whole thing in my living room.