RIP those who died in 2017

edited April 18 in General
Just wanted to get a thread started for celebrity deaths. We've already had a few this year with Charlie Murphy, J. Geils, Chuck Berry, etc.

RIP Allan Holdsworth. Died at 70. One of the greatest guitarists of the 20th century (when most of his work was released), and a visionary on the guitar. Dude had the craziest legato of all time.

Vasilnate1

Comments

• Not a celebrity or in entertainment but R.I.P Sheila Abdus-Salaam, a groundbreaking black jurist who became the first Muslim woman to serve as a U.S. judge.

Abdus-Salaam, a native of Washington, D.C., became the first
    African-American woman appointed to the Court of Appeals when Gov. Mario
    Cuomo named her to the state’s high court in 2013. She graduated from
    Barnard College and received her law degree from Columbia Law School.
    Her career began as a staff attorney for East Brooklyn Legal Services,
    and she served as a judge in Manhattan state Supreme Court for 14 years,
    according to the state Office of Court Administration’s website.
    "I muffle motherfuckers up like Meineke"  Ghostface Killah (Clipse of Doom)
    "I don't give a fuck about your war or your President"  Snake Plissken (Escape from New York)

• DrKenDrKen Chicago
    The guy who pretended to be Jim Jones has died.

RIP - Powers Boothe

Awesome in Tombstone, 24, Deadwood, so much other stuff.  Only 68.  Far too young.
  • edited May 15
    Michael Parks also died recently.  That one really bummed me out.  I figured he'd just keep stealing scenes in Tarantino and Kevin Smith movies for the next decade.

cdrive
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    DrKen said:

The guy who pretended to be Jim Jones has died.

RIP - Powers Boothe

Awesome in Tombstone, 24, Deadwood, so much other stuff.  Only 68.  Far too young.

(posted with respect)

Vasilnate1Murderbear
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Chris Cornell
    darwinfeeshyMichelle
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• Chris Cornell

Ahhh, the lesser Rage Against the Machine singer. I kid, I kid.

Man, 52 is too young. RIP Chris.
    Michelle
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Ugh, Chris Cornell gets me in the feels.  
    I hope Eddie Vedder is taking care of himself, we're running out of big grunge acts rapidly.

ChiefPizzaMichelle
  • Had a rendition of Chris Cornell singing Led Zeppelin's Thank You as my wedding song, so this one stings a little bit for me.
    ChiefPizzaMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Nnnnnnnoooooooooooo!!!!!!
    Michelle
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Damn. I listened to Black Hole Sun way too many times as an angsty teen. :-(
    MichelleMurderbear
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    Roger Ailes, such a shame
    They're saying possibly suicide with Chris Cornell.  I'm feeling pretty Minnesota right now... :(
    Michelle
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

I first saw Soundgarden open for Voivod and Faith No More at a theatre in Toronto and it was one of the shows that changed my life.

Doctor_NickMichelle
  • Celebrity deaths rarely touch me, even if it's a "big" one... but Chris Cornell. Actual fucking tears, man.
    Michellecdrive
    Reni said:

Celebrity deaths rarely touch me, even if it's a "big" one... but Chris Cornell. Actual fucking tears, man.

Was listening to black hole sun on the way to a sales call and had to turn it off cause it was about to get me.
    Michelle
  • @cdrive Same. The radio is usually on at my workplace, that's where I heard about his death, then they played a few songs in tribute. It took all my willpower to hold back the tears until I got home. Such an exceptional talent.
    Michellecdrive
    edited May 18
    He was amazing.  No one sang like him or could belt it out like he could.  I've always had Badmotorfinger on my short list of most perfect albums from start to finish.  And he was so fucking cool on account of how he was always so genuinely fucking nice.  Like, the sweetest, nicest dude.  Beautiful wife and children too.  Just so sad.  Just watched a little bit of him and his daughter doing a live cover of Redemption Song and had to turn that off really quick.  Thoughts and condolences to his family.  I just can't deal when children are involved with a tragedy like that.  Breaks my heart.  Depression is a terrible disease.   
    MichelleReni
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Yeah. Widespread reports today that it was suicide by hanging.
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az

Chris Cornell

One of my first grunge crushes.... cannot believe he took his own life.  In my home state too.  So Sad
    Michelle
  • Did Chris Cornell do the intro music often used at the start of the Bald Move Leftovers podcast?
  • Barry said:

Did Chris Cornell do the intro music often used at the start of the Bald Move Leftovers podcast?

No it was Reignwolf
  • voodoorat said:

Roger Ailes, such a shame

Huzzah!!
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I feel like a part of my 20s has slowly died with the passing of Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, and now Chris Cornell. Someone hide Eddie Vedder and Billy Corgan.
    cdriveCretanBullDoctor_Nick
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Sir Roger Moore dead at 89 after a short battle with cancer.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Somehow I always figured Connery would be the first Bond to go out. Shame about Moore, he seemed like a real good dude.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    Gregg Allman joined Duane :(
    Joe_Bear
  • Joe_BearJoe_Bear Boston
    RIP Gregg

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 5
    Rest in peace Peter Sallis, of "Wallace and Gromit" and "Last of the Summer Wine" fame (among many other credits).   "Last of the Summer Wine" is one of my favorite British comedies, and he just had such an endearingly sweet way of portraying a character.  Plus, he had a much-recognizable voice to go with it.  You could just imagine him being your sweet old man neighbor or your grandpa. 

"Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Not Wallace! :-((( He was a million years old though, so I guess he had a good run at least.
    Michelle
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Add Adam West to the list. Dammit, man.