301 - The Law of Vacant Places

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Written and directed by Noah Hawley
emnofseattle

Comments

• I didn't think I could be more attracted to Carrie Coon, and then she cleared a dark house with a shotgun/flashlight combo
    A_Ron_Hubbardmanhattnik
  • edited April 20
    The song that was playing during the bridge competition has no actual lyrics, it's English gibberish. It was written by an Italian singer. It's really disorienting when you try and listen to the lyrics.

I thought the throat-singing during the scene where Gloria cleared the house with the shotgun was kinda annoying and out of place, though.

JoshuaHeterMelonusk
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited April 20
    The camera work was impressive, I loved the spinning footage from the PoV of the AC unit. 

Spoiler alert, something I didn't quite catch, is the man being interrogated in East Germany the same man who just basically loan sharked the Rich Brother's business? as a side note I vaguely recall a
    Jack Reacher novel where some guy became a corporate extortionist. 

This seems like classic Fargo   
    already where the crime will spin out of control. I really liked the episode, but some little things are bothering me. like why didn't the police chief grab her shotgun and radio for backup as soon she saw the door busted in? I mean I have a CCW and carry a 9mm in my console in my car, I'd have armed myself and called 911
    before entering my house if I came back to the door breached open, it seems wierd a cop wouldn't immediately assume home invasion and act accordingly. 

George
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    This cast is awesome, especially Mary Elizabeth Winstead this episode... My goodness. I really liked this episode, I think it set up the season nicely.

My personal opinion on this weeks big three match up. Ive only seen each of them once but.

1. The Leftovers

2. Fargo

3. Better Call saul
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited April 20
    I came into this knowing nothing except that Ewan McGregor was playing brothers and that Carrie Coon was in it. So I was pleasantly surprised at the rest of the cast. I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead. And I was thrilled to see Michael Stuhlbarg from a great Coen film, A Serious Man, and also Boardwalk Empire. And then David Thewlis, none other than Professor Lupin and Knox Harrington the video artist from The Big Lebowski popped up as the "investment" guy and I almost jumped out of my seat. I love him as an actor and haven't seen him show up in anything for years.

Anyway, still processing the episode. I thought the opening was great and pulled me right in, literally with that wooded picture in the background. Performances were solid all around. Though it is weird seeing McGregor do the accent. The thing is impeccably made. It's a nice set-up, and I hope Hawley can keep his formula fresh.

Really looking forward to seeing where it goes this season. 

MrXVasilnate1Melonusk
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Loved it. Ewan McGregor - bless him - is usually a bit shit with accents, so I'm pleasantly shocked to see how well he did with this one.

Oh, bonkers Fargo - how I've missed you!
  • edited April 20
    I thought it was kind of average.  Stepping away from the Solversons was necessary, but I'm not really interested in these new characters.  In the season 2 premier, the Gerhardts alone were more entertaining than this new cast.  Not to mention Peggy, Ed, young Lou, etc.  Stussy and MEW look like the only ones up to par compared to previous seasons.

The episode also felt a little too niche for me.  The weird (and loud) throat song, the cutesy stealing a stamp plot, the weird in between aspect ratio they were using (it didn't look like full 2:35:1)... I just wasn't digging it.  This feels like Hawley trying to force Coen creativeness.
    Elisa
  • Spoiler alert, something I didn't quite catch, is the man being interrogated in East Germany the same man who just basically loan sharked the Rich Brother's business?

I don't think so, but if I had to guess the person that he's being mistaken for in the interrogation (the one who killed his gf) will probably pop up in Minnesota :)
  • Fargo is apparently challenging Better Call Saul for best use of montages portraying mundane activities ... in this case peeing in a cup for your parole officer, and a regional bridge tournament.

Good stuff so far. As always, Hawley puts together some of the best casts in the business.
    manhattnik
    edited April 20

Spoiler alert, something I didn't quite catch, is the man being interrogated in East Germany the same man who just basically loan sharked the Rich Brother's business?

I don't think so, but if I had to guess the person that he's being mistaken for in the interrogation (the one who killed his gf) will probably pop up in Minnesota :)
    Well hang on, we don't know yet he is truly being mistaken. I mean the nature of policing in the former communist bloc is definitely not what we in the west are accustomed to, but there's nothing yet on screen saying the policeman is factually wrong, we only have the implication this is not a fair process (which it's not) nothing on screen other then the character's denial of the crime actually has established the man is innocent.... 

I also do not know much about court process in the German Democratic Republic, but the crime the man is accused of is not a political crime against the GDR, it's a normal criminal act with a individual victim, I don't know we can assume the man had no rights in this process like the right to call a lawyer either. So I'm not convinced this man is innocent just because of the interrogation in Germany, we literally know nothing about him yet. I just thought for a sec maybe he as connected to the loan shark, or the loan shark himself. 

on that note, were we supposed to infer something from the melting snow on his shoes swirling down the drain? 
  • Spoiler alert, something I didn't quite catch, is the man being interrogated in East Germany the same man who just basically loan sharked the Rich Brother's business?

Well hang on, we don't know yet he is truly being mistaken. I mean the nature of policing in the former communist bloc is definitely not what we in the west are accustomed to, but there's nothing yet on screen saying the policeman is factually wrong, we only have the implication this is not a fair process (which it's not) nothing on screen other then the character's denial of the crime actually has established the man is innocent.... 

I also do not know much about court process in the German Democratic Republic, but the crime the man is accused of is not a political crime against the GDR, it's a normal criminal act with a individual victim, I don't know we can assume the man had no rights in this process like the right to call a lawyer either. So I'm not convinced this man is innocent just because of the interrogation in Germany, we literally know nothing about him yet. I just thought for a sec maybe he as connected to the loan shark, or the loan shark himself. 

on that note, were we supposed to infer something from the melting snow on his shoes swirling down the drain? 

I think there's enough in the scene to make it pretty clear that it is mistaken identity.  The case being presented is of a young Ukrainian immigrant killing his girlfriend - and what we have before us is an older, native-born German who is married to a woman who is alive.  Given that this scene opens the episode, and later (what seems like will be) the events of season are set in motion by another case of mistaken identity...that's too much of a theme to start looking for alternate theories IMO.

Could it turn out being different?  Sure, but based on what we saw in the episode as presented I think it was more about establishing that theme then tricking us into thinking that this meekish older guy was actually a killer.  It seems more likely that the episode was intentionally bookended by two cases of mistaken identity - the first putting the season itself in motion, the second putting the events of the season in motion.

As for the melting snow, I think that it was a visual depiction of a metaphor...when things "go down the drain", it means they don't turn out well for those involved.

Written and directed by Noah Hawley

Hey A-Ron, I listened to your guy's podcast and thanks for including my feedback!

when you and Jim were discussing the extortion scheme by Vargas and what Vargas has on them, I thought Varga had threatened them financially, he made a remark like they had control of his "system" after doing "a year of research" (wasn't Joe Bulo and Mike Milligan always referring to research?) which I took to mean he is claiming to have control of their bank accounts or investment holdings or something, he made it sound like they might not be in control of their finances, and if Emmit is particularily wealthy that might be an incentive to act on what Vargas wanted. 

• The episode was just fine. Just wanted to say that this is the final season of fargo as far as I know
  • TxSandMan said:

I didn't think I could be more attracted to Carrie Coon, and then she cleared a dark house with a shotgun/flashlight combo

Carrie Coon twice a week for the next 8 weeks or so.  I am in a happy place right now.
    Underwood
  • Very good episode to start off the season. Thought they hit all the right marks. I'm really looking forward to see this play out. As far as the beginning interrogation scene, I thought it might have been the brothers father (age would match up), but had/have my doubts.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Maybe because i am still on the Leftovers high - but I saw a biblical connection in this premier episode, and since Fargo has dabbled in biblical references before, I am calling it out. 

So, we are introduced to two brothers, one crafty, one a bit dull. When their father dies, they are left an inheritance and one brother tricks the other to gain the better investment.  Sound familiar?  The story of Jacob and Esau from the Bible. If you don't know the story, it goes thusly -

In Genesis, Esau returned to his brother, Jacob, being famished from the fields. He begged his twin brother to give him some lentil stew. Jacob offered to give Esau a bowl of stew in exchange for his birthright (the right to be recognized as firstborn) and Esau agreed. Esau acted impulsively, as he did not value his birthright over a bowl of lentil stew. 

To further solidify the birthright, while Esau was out in the fields one day, Jacob's mother Rebecca instructed her son to go to his dying blind father, pretending to be Esau in order to gain final rights of inheritance from his dying father.   Jacob pulled off his disguise by covering himself in hairy lamb skin so that when his blind father went to touch him, his smooth skin did not give him away as an imposter of his hairy brother. Jacob successfully received his father Isaac's blessing. As a result, Jacob becomes the spiritual leader of the family after Isaac's death. He also became the progenitor of the Jewish people, being later renamed, Israel.

The similarities here seem pretty apparent. Trade out lentil stew with a Corvette and you're pretty much there. I also feel like there is a reason why the same actor is playing two brothers. The bible mentions that Jacob and Esau were twins, although they had very different outward appearances.  Perhaps, as foreshadowed in the biblical story, the brothers will use their twin like appearance to deceive. Whether they will work together or against each other, I cannot say. But I could see it coming in handy, whether with V. M. Varga "Investment" Loans guy, or with stamp/murder fiasco. We are very, very early in the season to be fair, but I am keep this story in my back pocket!

Cory
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • edited April 21
    Jim. 

Jim, my man, my brotha, please, hear me on this.

How cool would it be if you started the next episode in a Fargo accent?

JIM: "Hey folks. Yurr listenin to the officially unofficial podcast for Fargo, season 3 episode 2, Titled "The Principle of Restricted Choice". We gotta great show ahead for ya. Just in case ya wonderin, I'm Jim. 

A. RON:   *and I'm A. Ron* (hopefully in a Fargo accent as well)

JIM:  Oh, you betcha.

PLEEEEAAAAAAASE! At least just one "you betcha". PLEASE!

121MykInABetterPlace
  • You REALLY need to see the music video for that gibberish song.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G96luhHhxnI
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I don't know, the episode didn't really grab me.  It was very slow, a little boring and I kept falling asleep.  The story just seemed kinda too predictable and a little repetitive.  That said the acting was solid.  My expectations are very high but I am willing to give it another shot.  But so far I am not really vested in any of the characters.
    elgat0manhattnik
  • Shum Utah
    I just realized between Kieran Culkin, Aubrey Plaza, and Mary Elizabeth Winsted, Noah Hawley has used a lot of Scott Pilgrim cast members. Maybe we'll get to see Brie Larsen, Chris Evans, or Anna Kendrick in future seasons...
    DaveyMacMelonusk
    Shum said:

I just realized between Kieran Culkin, Aubrey Plaza, and Mary Elizabeth Winsted, Noah Hawley has used a lot of Scott Pilgrim cast members. Maybe we'll get to see Brie Larsen, Chris Evans, or Anna Kendrick in future seasons...

I'll tell you what, I would've defended the UFO BS lying through my teeth if Anna Kendrick were cast last season. 

She's like in my top three favorite actors/actresses 
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    It might have been said earlier in the thread, but did anyone kind of cringe when Mary Elizabeth Winsted's character was on the phone with 911 while telling Ewan McGregor's character to leave?  911 calls in 2010 can hear background convos I am pretty sure, even if your hand is partially covering it.  Just a guess, but I bet this factors in.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Hmmm.....I'm obsessed enough with crime shows to know that if someone just walks away from the receiver you can barely make out what anyone is saying unless people are straight up screaming. So I don't think that will be a factor. 

“No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • ThomasThomas North Carolina
    aberry89 said:

Hmmm.....I'm obsessed enough with crime shows to know that if someone just walks away from the receiver you can barely make out what anyone is saying unless people are straight up screaming. So I don't think that will be a factor. 

When I pranked called 911 when I was 10 they heard every damn word the other kid said across the room.  I would bet that you are right though and it won't be a factor at all.
    I think how much the 911 operator hears depends upon mic in the phone being used. My old landline you couldn't hear any background noise in it. My cellphone if it's on speaker you can hear a lot of background in it from the other phones receiver
  • MelonuskMelonusk Ireland
    @Shum Oh shit you're right. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the cast... and that just makes me realize how good the casting was on Scott Pilgrim, such a great movie.

I like the episode overall and agree that the acting is very strong so far, and that it's pretty classic Fargo for a first episode. Can't decide if I'm more in love with Carrie Coon or Mary Elisabeth Winstead.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited April 23
    Finally blazed through binge watching the first two seasons and am a few minutes into this episode now.

Sooooo weird seeing Ewan McGregor doing a northern accent. And I am hating that curly haircut. Although between that and Ray's "Ace Hole" license plate, I'm not sure which is more cringeworthy. Ugh. lol

I did like that Hawley continued with the Sisyphus symbolism, this time on a stamp In a frame. So, is Emmit or Ray the one continually pushing that boulder up the hill?

@aberry89 good call on Jacob vs Esau.

Good first episode, eager to see Carrie Coon kick ass in this show.

Elisa
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Perhaps I didn't notice something very different about the old mans freezer vodka, but most people I knew growing up stored vodka in their freezer, myself included. It doesn't freeze in home freezers, and it seems to take the bite from it a bit when it's chilled.

lol I didn't even think twice about it being strange until A.Ron mentioned it on the podcast.
    Michelle
  • edited April 24
    I don''t know if this is for the official feedback section but i'll post it here anyway.

I was listening to the podcast at work and I'm pretty sure you got some details wrong about the old guy that got killed. I didn't have time to listen to it again but here goes.

I believe you referred to the old guy, Ennis I think, as the Sheriffs father in law when actually that is her step dad. It seemed like you thought Ennis was the dad of the gay guy which i don't believe to be true.  

Jack Danger
    UK
    Elisa
  • Interesting, but very pastichey. Feels very much like the original movie, and I'm getting serious William Macy vibes from probation brother Ewen McGregor.