Bald move American Gods coverage?

edited April 21 in Other TV
I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, but is there going to be Bald Move coverage for American Gods? It's a Starz series and idk if Jim & A. Ron have read the book.

I was wondering if this has been addressed at some point.

I hope this show is at least covered in Bald Move TV. The initial reviews have been great, and American Gods/ Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite books/ authors of all time.

The eight-episode first season is set to premiere on April 30, 2017.
Kela15voodooratCoryKingKobraElisa

Comments

• I think it came up during a lunch. A.Ron is not on board, Jim is mildly interested.
    I'm guessing the reviews would need to be good, the forums would need to get hot, and we can probably gin up fury to get them to at least check it out, and hope some coverage ok BaldMove TV.
    darwinfeeshy
  • Love American Gods, I'm re-reading now ahead of the premiere. Doubt there will be time for Bald Move coverage as there are so many shows now, but I'm guessing there are enough fans to keep a discussion going in the forums.
    darwinfeeshyDaveyMac
  • MrX said:

Love American Gods, I'm re-reading now ahead of the premiere. Doubt there will be time for Bald Move coverage as there are so many shows now, but I'm guessing there are enough fans to keep a discussion going in the forums.

Indeed.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I've seen some trailers and have changed my mind.  There's no room for full coverage, but look for it on Bald Move TV.  I'll probably get some co-hosts to help out since I don't know if Jim will be watching.
    KingKobra121MykInABetterPlaceVasilnate1Elisaelgat0fidozdarwinfeeshyDaveyMacDoug El
  • I've seen some trailers and have changed my mind.  There's no room for full coverage, but look for it on Bald Move TV.  I'll probably get some co-hosts to help out since I don't know if Jim will be watching.

Fan-friggin'-tasting!
    I thought Eric did a mighty fine job filling in for you last week.
    Would Cecily be interested in watching and podcasting this one? I really liked your Young Pope coverage.
    Perhaps another joint venture with the Nattercast?

• I've seen some trailers and have changed my mind.  There's no room for full coverage, but look for it on Bald Move TV.  I'll probably get some co-hosts to help out since I don't know if Jim will be watching.

Sweet!

The book is a pretty quick read ... and well worth it IMO if you want to go into it w/ "book reader knowledge." I think it'd be right up your alley, as it has a lot of religious mythology from all sorts of different cultures ... plus a lot of the settings are in the Midwest.
    121MykInABetterPlacedarwinfeeshy
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY

I've seen some trailers and have changed my mind.  There's no room for full coverage, but look for it on Bald Move TV.  I'll probably get some co-hosts to help out since I don't know if Jim will be watching.

ARon,

I know Jason from podcastica mentioned he will be covering it. Just an FYI in case you wanted to hit him up. He didn't say anything about a release schedule or who his co-host would be.
    Elisa
  • I just read the book for the first time, I will be buying Starz to watch this.  And I guess hopefully see what Black Sails is/was about.  

Anyone know does buying an add on subscription through Amazon versus the cable company give you any different access to past seasons?  Like I think Amazon has all of the Expanse Season 1, but my cable on demand doesn't.....
  • I'm not sure about Starz and Amazon in the States, but thankfully over here Amazon Prime will have American Gods day 1. I'm so glad more networks are figuring out how to make their shows available to a global audience from the first day.

I'm more excited for this show than anything else. Been eagerly anticipating it ever since it was announced.
  • Just in case anyone's interested I saw that "Anansi Boys" is a Kindle deal right now for 1.99. It's not exactly a sequel to American Gods, but it's kind of in the same universe as it features one of the same Gods and it is a fun, breezy read.
    MrX
  • @Doctor_Nick Definitely check out Black Sails if you get Starz anyway. I know it's over, but it's one of the few shows that gets better and better with each season. I didn't think the first season was fantastic, but it was good enough, and only improved from then on. Awesome music, visuals, and some amazing character developments. I don't understand why it was so severely underrated, so I encourage people to watch it whenever I can!
    Elisa
  • Haven't read it yet, but Neil Gaiman just published a book on Norse Mythology. Seems like that would dovetail nicely with American Gods coming to tv.
    DaveyMac
  • Yeah Norse Mythology was a really fun read and definitely fits in with American Gods. I'd definitely recommend it.
    MrX
  • The previews look bonkers, early reviews are good, and it's Bryan Fuller, so day one for me.  I'm surprised Bald Move is looking at some kind of coverage, considering Fuller's previous masterpiece (Hannibal) was blacklisted at the Baldies and has never been mentioned on air.
    Jovial_FalconElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY

I just read the book for the first time, I will be buying Starz to watch this.  And I guess hopefully see what Black Sails is/was about.  

Anyone know does buying an add on subscription through Amazon versus the cable company give you any different access to past seasons?  Like I think Amazon has all of the Expanse Season 1, but my cable on demand doesn't.....
    In my experience, premium pay channels provide their entire catalogue, whereas cable and broadcast networks license past seasons to other platforms, so your cable service provider may not be able to show those on demand. 

The only difference I know of offhand between Starz online and via cable is that some of their shows drop all the episodes after the premiere airs on their website and app, but I doubt that's the case with American Gods.
  • I just read the book for the first time, I will be buying Starz to watch this.  And I guess hopefully see what Black Sails is/was about.  

In my experience, premium pay channels provide their entire catalogue, whereas cable and broadcast networks license past seasons to other platforms, so your cable service provider may not be able to show those on demand. 

The only difference I know of offhand between Starz online and via cable is that some of their shows drop all the episodes after the premiere airs on their website and app, but I doubt that's the case with American Gods.
    Even if everything is not on demand, subscribing through your cable provider typically still gets you access to the channel's full catalog through their website or app. HBO Go being the most prominent example, but it looks like Starz has an app available on most platforms that you can access using your cable login.
    Elisa
  • @GredalBee im with you. Day one because of Fuller's Hannibal. His vision in incredible. I'm looking forward to this.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Starz is cheaper if you buy it thru Apple TV/Itunes and you can watch it on your TV or on your phone via the app.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Elisa said:

Starz is cheaper if you buy it thru Apple TV/Itunes and you can watch it on your TV or on your phone via the app.

I think it's also the same cheaper price ($8.99/mo) if you subscribe through Amazon.
  • How are we going to discuss? Without spoilers or major details, I enjoyed the pilot. Visually it was striking and had BFs touch ala Hannibal. The episode was really good with the intro of some characters and basically at the end set up the premise for what I guess is the season/series arc. Never read the. The books, so it will be interesting to see the mixed reactions (much like GoT). Hopefully we don't need to split threads ;)
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 1
    Elisa said:

I don't know how much it costs normally through cable or satellite, but on Amazon Prime Starz subscription it's like $8.99, which I believe is the same as Apple TV. And the new episodes drop early compared to when they premiere on Starz channel through cable or satellite. I know Outlander is why we (mostly my wife) ordered Starz through Amazon, and their big selling point is early-access to new episodes. 

Can't wait to watch tonight. It looks bonkers.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Starz normally offers it at 12:01am the day of.
  • @elisa is correct. I always watch Ash Vs Evil Dead Sunday mornings instead of the 8pm slot. I did the same for AG yesterday
  • Show is great so far. Some1 going to create threads for each ep or wut?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto

I'm luke warm on this.  I read the book years ago (whenever it first came out) and I was really looking forward to it, but that first episode was much longer than it needed to be.  I'll keep watching, but the first episode didn't blow me away.  I'm 50/50 on Brian Fuller...I think Pushing Daiseys is one of the most underrated shows of all time, but - get ready for the blasphemy - I thought that Hannibal was unwatchable dreck (often beautifully shot though!).

• DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    I'd be happy to make the episode threads each week. I figure since it's released week to week we might as just do episode by episode rather than one big thread.

Also, was thinking of making the episode threads spoiler-free and then if people are interested one big thread for book spoilers.

According to Gaiman, the first season of the show will cover the first third of the book.
    KingKobradarwinfeeshyElisaJovial_Falcon
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    DaveyMac said:

I'd be happy to make the episode threads each week. I figure since it's released week to week we might as just do episode by episode rather than one big thread.

Also, was thinking of making the episode threads spoiler-free and then if people are interested one big thread for book spoilers.

According to Gaiman, the first season of the show will cover the first third of the book.

I read it digitally, so I don't remember, but was it even a very long book?
  • @DaveyMac that sounds good to me, that way folks can compare/contrast the book(s) without spoiling future events for those that are show only. I guess we can start next week with and episode thread, unless you want o to start one for episode one.
    DaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    voodoorat said:

DaveyMac said:

I think it's about 600 pages or so. Not GOT long for sure. I'm thinking they may be fleshing out some of the "minor" Gods more to give them more of a storyline. Some of the ones in the book just get a couple of little vignettes. I think there's a lot of possibilities here in terms of expanding the universe.

I'm also wondering if eventually they'll start pulling stuff from Anansi Boys and the two American Gods novellas that came later on.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    The book's 600+ pages and it meanders quite a bit.  A lot of the stuff adds color, but probably isn't strictly necessary plot wise.
    DaveyMac said:

voodoorat said:

DaveyMac said:

I think it's about 600 pages or so. Not GOT long for sure. I'm thinking they may be fleshing out some of the "minor" Gods more to give them more of a storyline. Some of the ones in the book just get a couple of little vignettes. I think there's a lot of possibilities here in terms of expanding the universe.

I'm also wondering if eventually they'll start pulling stuff from Anansi Boys and the two American Gods novellas that came later on.

DaveyMac