David Brent v. Michael Scott. The ULTIMATE showdown

OK Bald Move, who do you find more entertaining/funny, David Brent or Michael Scott?

This is based purely on the characters themselves, not on the supporting cast. This is not a US v. UK Office debate. Obviously the US Office had a larger supporting cast & more episodes to flesh everyone out. However, David Brent had 2 movies (and a music video).

Who wins? YOU decide!

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Michael Scott all the way.   Sooooooo many classic moments, from Prison Mike to his doomed but hilarious relationship with Jan ("snip snap snip snap snip snap!!!"), from his escapades with Dwight to his mancrush on Ryan and hatred of Toby, from trying to save Stanley after he collapsed to taking Meredith to a rehab facility, from hooking up with Pam's mom to finding the love of his life (Holly).  He's the best!  (Except that hair in season 1, ouch.)

Murderbear
    "Scorch the damn earth before you." - Liz Taylor, AHS
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 24
    I don't think it's comparable because they are two completely different types of comedy. Brent is cringe comedy - I used to be all fidgety and pace around watching that show because it was so damn hard to just sit and look at it. Scott is just standard formula sitcom (though well done) where the lead is a buffoon.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Age old question... I think David Brent is a more pure, brilliant character, but Michael Scott made me laugh harder (But I chalk that up to Steve Carrel's comedic timing, not superior writing). If your question is who is FUNNIER - fuck I don't know. I'll say this - I can watch Michael Scott for days, but David Brent is so strong a brew, I can only take it for a little while. What does that mean, I DUNNO
    Michelle
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • trippytrippy Saint Louis
    edited April 25
    You can't really compare.   US Office had sooooo much more time to develop Michael Scott (7 seasons?).  David brent was what... 6 episodes plus christmas special, and that netflix show.   Michael Scott to me is more familiar and benign.  As  @Dee pointed out,  David made me cringe and not necessarily from a .... well meaning place.   He had his 'good intention' moments, but there were others that I remember thinking 'wtf?'. 
    _____
    Nothing says 'This situation is serious' like a corpse on the floor.
    -Anon.
  • David Brent - by far (and I really liked the US version!)
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Michael Scott I found to be more sympathetic. So I think I found his moments where he connected with his coworkers or just was in a bad spot to be more endearing. Scott reminded me of like a really inappropriate uncle, who you loved, but just didn't understand.

David Brent as @aberry89 mentioned was so overwhelming that you moments actively despised while in others you just felt sorry for. Being able to swing that pendulum so far in each direction was kind of amazing. 

I think I'd go with Brent. He had a shorter arc, sure. But that also meant he had less time to have god-awful moments like when Michael Scott drove into the lake because of the GPS...that was just a bridge too far for even his dumb self. 
  • Brent, all day.

Also, Michael Scott can't convincingly cry. Best moment for Brent, and I'm including the comedy bits, was where he asked for a second chance because he knows he's been complacent.
    DaveyMac
    Yeah? Well, y'know... that's just like uh... your opinion, man.
  • Easily Brent for me. Though I tend to agree that they are very different characters. I'm still amazed at just how bad I felt for Brent by the end of it all despite his behavior throughout. Amazing performance and very painful to watch at times.

I also got a strong sense that it was the cameras and documentary crew that brought out the worst in both characters and that they weren't as nearly as bad before the doc crew showed up.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Michael Scarn of course. But it's not really fair when he had 7 Seasons to flesh his character out.

Michael might have been a doofus but he was also a really good salesperson and really cared about his employees. Brent was just more of a nice cringeworthy guy. But also felt like he definitely should have been fired. Whereas Michael was much more well rounded and the audience had a lot of more time to connect with him.
    Murderbear
    No Half Measures....
  • I still need to watch the new Brent movie on Netflix but it's Brent ALL DAY EVERYDAY.
    DaveyMac
    Shit, you shoot me in a dream you better wake up and apologize.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @Hatorian reminded me of something great. I'll care about David Brent as soon as he makes something anywhere near as good as Threat Level Midnight!
    MichelleHatorian
  • @Hatorian reminded me of something great. I'll care about David Brent as soon as he makes something anywhere near as good as Threat Level Midnight!

Free Love on the Free Love Freeway
    darwinfeeshyDeeDaveyMac
  • edited April 27

@Hatorian reminded me of something great. I'll care about David Brent as soon as he makes something anywhere near as good as Threat Level Midnight!

She's deeeaaddd...

Also, Equality Street is a good jam.
    DeeDaveyMacOldGriswoldaberry89
  • Who is wrong and who is right?
    Yellow, brown, black or white?
    Spaceman, he answered, "You'll no longer mind
    I've opened your eyes, you're now colour-blind"

RACIAL!
    DeeDaveyMac
  • @Hatorian reminded me of something great. I'll care about David Brent as soon as he makes something anywhere near as good as Threat Level Midnight!

She's deeeaaddd...

Also, Equality Street is a good jam.

Why the tears, he says: "'cause none of then was you"
    What, YOU?
    No, he's looking at a picture
    Of you?
    No, his girlfriend, the video will show it
    Sorry, just sounds a bit gay
    ITS NOT GAY
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Who is wrong and who is right?
    Yellow, brown, black or white?
    Spaceman, he answered, "You'll no longer mind
    I've opened your eyes, you're now colour-blind"

RACIAL!

Oh man, good times. Good times. :-D
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @OldGriswold is really reminding me why Brent was such a brilliant creation.
    OldGriswold
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Brent gets some extra points for being first too. He was a character the like I had never seen before.

I was watching some Alan Partridge stuff lately, as I had never gotten around to watching the series, and I was thinking...hmm maybe Stephen Coogan should really get the credit for this kind of charachter, or even idea. But as much as I love Alan Partridge, it never quite hits the heart the way The Office did. Although, it does have moments that get close... (for you Brits out there, Alan Partridge was first before the Office right?)

DaveyMac
    “No time to squabble Troy, for Greendale on THREE! One, two- Jeff, every second counts. For Greendale on TWO! One-"
  • This is pretty great too:
    Murderbear
    This should officially end the debate....

2 words....

Scott's Tots.

Some of the most 22 cringeworthy minutes of sitcom history
    MichelleMurderbear
    No Half Measures....
    Two more words:  The Dundies.

HatorianMurderbear
    Finale table read!

• OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    aberry89 said:

Brent gets some extra points for being first too. He was a character the like I had never seen before.

I was watching some Alan Partridge stuff lately, as I had never gotten around to watching the series, and I was thinking...hmm maybe Stephen Coogan should really get the credit for this kind of charachter, or even idea. But as much as I love Alan Partridge, it never quite hits the heart the way The Office did. Although, it does have moments that get close... (for you Brits out there, Alan Partridge was first before the Office right?)

Smell my cheese you mother!
    gotta love this.

No Half Measures....