303 - Sunk Costs

Director: John Shiban
Writer: Gennifer Hutchison

Comments

• GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Seems the stories might finally be beginning to merge. Bout time, I was losing my patience.
  • Good episode, not "great" for me. For sure setting up the pieces for Mike to get in Gus and for Jimmy to become Saul. Got a few chuckles from the "lunch" scene if not slight depression on how little some of the lawyers doing grunt work get paid (if you want real depression check out HBO special on Public Defenders.). Jimmy was in pure setup mode there enticing with the good Food. So far this show does an excellent job setting up the end of season run, so In looking forward to see how the trial plays out.
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    It was a great episode. 

However it does continue with the theme of characters doing things "out of character" for them, like Jimmy bungling the observation of Gus. 

This episode it was the really weird way in which Mike chose to stop the drug truck. So we have Mike, taking a rifle and illegal drugs over an international border where he is subject to search, presumably counting on not being searched on entering Mexico. His booby trap plan with the shoe full of coke, while seemingly clever, seems to me to be a high risk/low probability of reward. 

For background I am a commercial truck driver, I draw from my experience with one employer where I crossed the Canadian border from Washington state to Vancouver, Canada near daily. In an earlier job I was frequently picking up freight in the foreign trade zone in Otay Mesa, California where the port of entry for trucks heading to San Diego from Tijuana is located. and I would often watch the trucks enter the US from Mexico, there is a MASSIVE volume of trucks that cross the border, and border officers have nowhere near the manpower to search every truck, most trucks simply get waved through after the officer verifies their passport and manifest, secondary inspections like what we saw Hector's truck undergoing are fairly rare, and while it's TV and anything can happen, I don't believe someone like Mike believes this strategy will work. Simply because the low likliehood of an actual search means he blew his money, and risked arrest on drug and gun import charges in Mexico for close to nothing. 

I am also interested if any lawyers are here, is it right that the disciplinary board can revoke your law license even if you are not technically convicted? because most pre-trial diversion plans usually mean you will not be charged if you follow court instructions and don't get arrested again in the diversion period. 
    Jujee
  • This episode it was the really weird way in which Mike chose to stop the drug truck. So we have Mike, taking a rifle and illegal drugs over an international border where he is subject to search, presumably counting on not being searched on entering Mexico.

We see him pick up the drugs in Mexico. 

As for the gun, idk the legality of bringing firearms across international borders, and that does seem a little off.
  • TagDerEnteTagDerEnte Charleston,SC
    When Mike's at the doctors office anyone else notice the bell ring from the door opening with an empty wheelchair in view.  Hector's probably going to have stroke after their truck is busted at the border. I like how the opening scene was a flash forward showing that Gus is in charge now.
    AjasDoctor_NickMelonusk
  • It was a great episode. 

However it does continue with the theme of characters doing things "out of character" for them, like Jimmy bungling the observation of Gus. 

This episode it was the really weird way in which Mike chose to stop the drug truck. So we have Mike, taking a rifle and illegal drugs over an international border where he is subject to search, presumably counting on not being searched on entering Mexico. His booby trap plan with the shoe full of coke, while seemingly clever, seems to me to be a high risk/low probability of reward. 

For background I am a commercial truck driver, I draw from my experience with one employer where I crossed the Canadian border from Washington state to Vancouver, Canada near daily. In an earlier job I was frequently picking up freight in the foreign trade zone in Otay Mesa, California where the port of entry for trucks heading to San Diego from Tijuana is located. and I would often watch the trucks enter the US from Mexico, there is a MASSIVE volume of trucks that cross the border, and border officers have nowhere near the manpower to search every truck, most trucks simply get waved through after the officer verifies their passport and manifest, secondary inspections like what we saw Hector's truck undergoing are fairly rare, and while it's TV and anything can happen, I don't believe someone like Mike believes this strategy will work. Simply because the low likliehood of an actual search means he blew his money, and risked arrest on drug and gun import charges in Mexico for close to nothing. 

I am also interested if any lawyers are here, is it right that the disciplinary board can revoke your law license even if you are not technically convicted? because most pre-trial diversion plans usually mean you will not be charged if you follow court instructions and don't get arrested again in the diversion period. 

I agree.  The writing staff really went for the "look how clever we can be" quotient on that one.  It seems like it would've been a lot easier, safer and much less risk to either tip off or pay off a border agent to stop the truck.

On the other hand, that montage/scene watching Kim get ready for the day was pretty awesome.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I could have watched Mike trying to throw those shoes up on that wire for hours.
    UnderwoodAjasMurderbearMelonusk
  • amyja89 said:

I could have watched Mike trying to throw those shoes up on that wire for hours.

It was weird seeing Mike actually struggle to do something. I probably would have called bullshit if he nailed it on the first throw. I will call bullshit on Mike plan to help the border patrol get the drop on that truck. Wouldn't that cocaine have just blown off in the wind. we're supposed to believe the scents of these dogs is such that they can sniff out one speck of blow? Hmm, flimsy at best.
    hisdudeness915
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the episode and was really surprised when it ended. It just kind of breezed by. I get why people will have problems with the shoe stuff and I think perhaps it's a bit too showy and over the top (though they did stuff like this in BB too), but certainly looked cool and was beautifully shot.
    Dee
  • edited April 25
    adobo1148 said:

amyja89 said:

It was weird seeing Mike actually struggle to do something. I probably would have called bullshit if he nailed it on the first throw. I will call bullshit on Mike plan to help the border patrol get the drop on that truck. Wouldn't that cocaine have just blown off in the wind. we're supposed to believe the scents of these dogs is such that they can sniff out one speck of blow? Hmm, flimsy at best.
    Yeah, the show runners kinda shot themselves in the foot when they showed the breeze catching the drugs falling out of the shoe. How would it land on the truck?

I'd believe that a dog could pick up the scent of the drugs though. Especially with how much they showed falling on the bumper. The truck wasn't clean, so I see a lot of coke or whatever getting stuck in the grime.
  • amyja89 said:

And you know Gilligan made him throw them until they stuck. He was probably like "C'mon Jon, Cranston got that pizza on the roof in one take!"
    Demicgguenothisdudeness915The_Third_ManGuyMelonusk
  • Just a reminder: The writers of this show are the same writers that said you could dissolve a man in a bathtub with hydrofluoric acid and blowup a building with a small amount of mercury.  Maybe not expect ultra realism. 
    CretanBullGredalBeegguenot
  • I enjoyed this episode, certainly more than the last, but I think this series in general suffers from a lack of characters that consistently orbit our main two characters, Mike and Jimmy.  Jimmy obviously has more to draw from here, but Jimmy, for the most part, only has a great relationship with Kim, and barely at that.  And Mike.  Sure he's a man of few words, but he's also a man of few relationships.  I'm hoping that will change as he gets deeper in with Gus, but right now the ONLY thing he really has to do is capers.  You can only do so many of them until it seems a little boring.  Thankfully, unlike last week, this one had the benefit of mystery but I hope we get more characters consistently playing off him in the future. 

Criticism aside, I hope the end of this episode means we get some great court room battles coming up.  I wonder if Jimmy will finally cut ties and do the ultimate reversal move; present enough evidence to get Chuck committed.  That would be brutal and fitting. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    @Dummy. Great point. Reality shouldn't be used to defend or criticize fiction. As real as this show tries to be, it still takes place in a fictional universe and reality can be whatever the writers want it to be. As long as it makes sense, stays true to the characters, and feels real in the moment I don't have a problem with it.
    DummyDeeMelonusk
  • I know I was happy that Mike didn't get the shoe thing on the first try.  I even made a comment to my wife about how if we got it on the first try that it was just a "tv" moment and probably wouldn't happen like that in real life.  So I was happy that it took Mike a few tries before he got the shoes up there.

As for Jimmy, I still don't see how they could bring up an assault charge.  Both Jimmy and Chuck said how Jimmy never touched him.  I guess if the "threat" of assault is there, that allows for a charge?  That I would need a lawyer's opinion on.  Just doesn't seem like that could stick. 

Definitely enjoyed the Mike-Gus interaction and how Mike admitted at the end that he wasn't through with Hector.  But also enjoyed how Gus told him that Mike couldn't kill Hector just yet.

• Shum said:

@Dummy. Great point. Reality shouldn't be used to defend or criticize fiction. As real as this show tries to be, it still takes place in a fictional universe and reality can be whatever the writers want it to be. As long as it makes sense, stays true to the characters, and feels real in the moment I don't have a problem with it.

Exactly right!  What's "realistic" doesn't really matter as long as there's an internal consistency to the reality created by the writers.  Relying on a cocaine-shoe to bust delivery guys is much less silly than Walt rigging the trunk of his car to have a pop-up machine gun and relying on that to spray a house with bullets to save him.  It's established mythos that the 'heroes' in this world can take risks on improbable ingenuity and have it work out for them.
    Dummy
    And did anyone else think it was a d!ck move to fire Ernie when he did exactly what chuck wanted him to do?

See I think Chucks self righteous attitude and his radiation addiction is an act, and I felt vindicated to see him standing in the sunshine with no discomfort. I don't think he has any character qualities, he's scheming just like slippin jimmy, he just works it a different way.
    Dummy
  • And did anyone else think it was a d!ck move to fire Ernie when he did exactly what chuck wanted him to do?

Of course it's a dick move, but at the same time, Ernie did betray Chuck by "telling" Jimmy.  Chuck specifically told Ernie that this information was confidential and couldn't be shared and Ernie shared it.  So Chuck can't trust Ernie so hence Ernie can no longer work for Chuck.  Unfortunately, Ernie was just a pawn in Chuck's scheme.
    CretanBullDee
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I don't think the radiation phobia is just an act... I feel like it is a mental condition that is aggravated by any perceived imbalance in Chuck's Lawful-Neutral sense of justice.

I wonder how soon it was after Jimmy passed the bar exam that Chuck first started suffering from it.
    johnnyhands

And did anyone else think it was a d!ck move to fire Ernie when he did exactly what chuck wanted him to do?

Of course it's a dick move, but at the same time, Ernie did betray Chuck by "telling" Jimmy.  Chuck specifically told Ernie that this information was confidential and couldn't be shared and Ernie shared it.  So Chuck can't trust Ernie so hence Ernie can no longer work for Chuck.  Unfortunately, Ernie was just a pawn in Chuck's scheme.
    I think once Jimmy and Kim get this case resolved the strike back should be suing HHM for wrongful termination, because if they can only prove Ernie told Jimmy what confidentiality was broken? Is chuck (putting on his act again) going to claim he was acting as Jimmys attorney during that recorded conversation Jimmy knew nothing avoid? I think Ernie should take that to court, because I don't think the justification flies

• Well, I'm guessing that Chuck was BS'ing Ernie when he told him that the information on the tape was confidential.  Think he was just trying to scare Ernie and in turn, Chuck estimated that Ernie would still tell Jimmy someway.  I'm not sure if Ernie hearing the tape was actually confidential.  Either way though, I think Chuck could fire Ernie for just not trusting him.  Don't think that's considered unlawful termination.

Additionally, I did find it interesting that Chuck still wants a relationship with Jimmy.  Maybe it's just to feed his own ego because he can consider himself superior to Jimmy.  However, I wonder if what Jimmy told Chuck is true and that Jimmy is officially done with Chuck and wouldn't come to his bedside if Chuck was on his deathbed.

• I've seen it here, but, I'm starting to believe BCS could turn out to be, at its root, a love story between Jimmy/Saul and Kim?
    edited April 25

Well, I'm guessing that Chuck was BS'ing Ernie when he told him that the information on the tape was confidential.  Think he was just trying to scare Ernie and in turn, Chuck estimated that Ernie would still tell Jimmy someway.  I'm not sure if Ernie hearing the tape was actually confidential.  Either way though, I think Chuck could fire Ernie for just not trusting him.  Don't think that's considered unlawful termination.

Additionally, I did find it interesting that Chuck still wants a relationship with Jimmy.  Maybe it's just to feed his own ego because he can consider himself superior to Jimmy.  However, I wonder if what Jimmy told Chuck is true and that Jimmy is officially done with Chuck and wouldn't come to his bedside if Chuck was on his deathbed.

Is Ernie actually an employee or just an intern? If he's an employee he should file for unemployment. at least in Washington you can fire someone "without cause" and that employee is eligible for unemployment insurance. if HHM contested unemployment, that is a for cause termination, at which point Ernie can sue for wrongful termination. 

Regardless, it was a crap thing to do, and I wonder if that will be the breakdown of Chuck's case over Jimmy, because the DA wants the felony B&E but if Jimmy/Kim can somehow prove that the entire thing was set up by Chuck (and Ernie on the stand can show that ) maybe the DA would decide to settle for a misdemeanor plea. 

I don't seriously believe Chuck meant a word of that. The only time we've seen Chuck do anything substantive for Jimmy was when he got him off on the Chicago sunroof and I have a feeling Chuck did it for their mother more than Jimmy, 
    the rest of the time has been Jimmy taking care of Chuck to this absurd level for his *alleged* (I still say I don't believe Chuck even believes this is real) disease and Chuck stabbing Jimmy in the back the whole way. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited April 25

I believe he picked up the drugs (coke? heroin?) in Mexico. I think the clinic he visited is run by the medic who was there at the big Gus Fring shootout in BB.

I agree that it was a "rule of cool" type gambit, and he was just as likely to blow $5k worth of coke for no reason than get these guys busted, but the Badverse has seen more than one of these unlikely scenarios. 

Would have been cool if he had Huel sitting up on the wire in a pigeon suit :)

Mike is kind of the Heisenberg of the show this season, only with gadgets instead of science.
  • edited April 26
    Ajas said:

I don't think the radiation phobia is just an act... I feel like it is a mental condition that is aggravated by any perceived imbalance in Chuck's Lawful-Neutral sense of justice.

I wonder how soon it was after Jimmy passed the bar exam that Chuck first started suffering from it.
    I am also fascinated by Chucks Electromagnetic Sensitivity (or feigning of it) and want to know more about what caused it.  I'm guessing that his ex-wife Rebecca leaving him is at the center of it, and somehow Jimmy is also involved.

I am confident we will find out more about as Michael McKean has already verified that Rebecca will return this season, he said around episode 7 or 8 in on online interview.  Here is the link:

One question, do you think Chuck's episode of EMS in the copy shop at the end of Season 2 was feigned.  If so, that was some pretty good acting - and quite an elaborate ruse - all the way through the hospital emergency room!

Ajas said:

One question, do you think Chuck's episode of EMS in the copy shop at the end of Season 2 was feigned.  If so, that was some pretty good acting - and quite an elaborate ruse - all the way through the hospital emergency room!
    I think the attack was feigned, the concussion no. he's acting like he's nuts, loses balance falls and hits his head. 
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited April 26
    The Mike stuff was amazing. The way it all came together with the shoes from the cold open was great.

The Jimmy stuff was a slow burn, but they are definitely setting up the confrontation between Jimmy and Chuck.

One thing that bothered me is would the lead DA lady really take Chuck seriously?

I can't wait to see what Jimmy comes up with to discredit Chuck as a witness. I'm thinking a couple of Tesla coils or something to really set him off while on the stand.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited April 26
    No I don't think any of Chuck's EM dementia is an act. I think he is like any Tough Guy Bro who perceives derision of their masculinity and "sees red".. So is Chuck when he feels like lady justice is endangered and he can't construct an argument to save her.

It does seem like it was when Jimmy became a lawyer that Chuck's relationship with Rebecca started to fall apart... And then he generated this electricity neurosis when she left him.

And to take that 6 inches further, having Jimmy constantly in his life was like constantly poking Chuck's exposed nerve of justice defaced. Having Jimmy arrested and facing disbarment is probably the most relief Chuck has felt since before Jimmy passed the bar exam.

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Btw I don't think Jimmy's argument will be an attempt to save himself from the charges... I think it will be to get Chuck on the stand so he can assassinate Chuck's character and use all his knowledge of HHM to drag their firm's name through the mud.

Maybe the reason he becomes Saul Goodman isn't because he CAN'T use McGill but because that name is reviled.
    ToadieJujeejohnnyhands
  • With all the ultra secrecy Gus enacts in Breaking Bad, I'm not sure why he would blow his cover with a dangerous rando like Mike. Mike certainly didn't seem to have any trepidation turning down Gus's offer, and unless things were really going to turn on a dime, it looked like Gus was going to be ok taking no for an answer, leaving Mike with the knowledge of the power structure of a major drug operation. Weird.

And Mike's truck sabotage was really over the top Rube Goldberg.