A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited April 28 in Fargo
Director: Michael Uppendahl
Writer: Noah Hawley

Comments

• Should this be in Fargo category?
    KingKobra
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I have two observations, well one observation one fan theory. 

I believe someone in Emmit's business, likely Sy, is in on VM Varga's plan to complete the hostile takeover. I base this off of the rate at which Varga is overtaking the business. Up until Varga's goons killed the lawyer I don't understand why Sy and Emmit don't just go to the FBI about the money laundering. it seems like there's nothing Varga could've done proactively to stop Sy and Emmit from freezing their bank accounts and contacting the Feds. I still see no evidence Varga has any real presence in Minnesota, especially not to the point where he controls Minnesota State Patrol or the Federal Government, making this a risky strategy unless you knew you had a friend on the inside who can keep the boss convinced not to simply go to the authorities. The only other explanation is that maybe Emmit and/or Sy have been running their own illegal scheme and Varga knows of it. When he later mentions Sy and Emmit would be billionaires "on paper" with "stadiums" just how long does he intend to run this scheme? it seems to me with a frozen bank account and a Federal investigation Varga is out a million bucks and has attention on him. I just don't buy this form of corporate blackmail.

Observation, 

It seems people here are fairly cavalier about acts that can bring law enforcement attention on them real fast. Like Sy repeatedly ramming Ray's Covette and hitting someone's Subaru in the process. it seems like Sy no longer has the option of keeping the cops uninvolved, at the very least Subaru lady would probably see dollar signs all over that hummer and call the cops for an insurance report. 

and Why would Varga put a downloadable file on the internet just to kill anyone who downloads it? it seems like a high/risk low reward strategy. 
    manhattnik
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    on rewatch I noticed they referenced the name "Stan Grossman", wasn't that Wade's assistant in the movie? 
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    This season isn't doing much for me so far. The characters are almost all relentlessly stupid, to the point of cringeworthy. And the accents give me a headache. The only mildly interesting facet is the mystery of the maybe pulp writer dead stepfather. And it's not all that. There's no joy in watching bad corvette guy screwing up every time he opens his mouth, and nutcracker-ass girl has shown herself to be just as shortsightedly impulsive. And bad-teeth Brit (or whatever he is) is ridiculously over-the-top with his sarcastic menace.

And as @emnofseattle says, a lot just makes no sense.

I'm not interested in watching these dopes self-destruct, and I was impatient for this episode to end. So far this season has none of the charm and oddity of the previous two. It's been disappointing. Bereft that, I find I don't care about any of these people.

Maybe I'll give it one more shot.
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    And Hummer-guy's parking lot demolition derby? Just idiotic.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm glad I'm not the only one questioning why they don't go to the authorities.  Hell the ring leader (Varga) is just walking around admitting to murdering a lawyer who investigated him.

I'm not sure how much, if any legal trouble they could get in over this money laundering, but I'm sure that would be overlooked if they helped the police bring these guys in.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm not liking Fargo so far. I don't like Ewan McGregor playing two roles. I don't find the story interesting. The whole thing feels very checklisty and hollow. Carrie Coon is great, and the cinematography is gorgeous, as usual, but I don't know if it's enough to keep me interested. 
    manhattnikElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I really cannot stand Varga's teeth, I find them SO terribly distracting.
    pavlovsbellmanhattnik
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Cory said:

I really cannot stand Varga's teeth, I find them SO terribly distracting.

Agreed. They're not like Anton Chigurh's weird bob, which was weird and disconcerting in a frightening way. Varga's teeth are OTT in an annoyingly distracting way.
    manhattnik
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I had to look up Anton Chigurh, and oddly enough I just tried watching No Country For Old Men a few days ago (tried as in I fell asleep about half way though).
  • I was not AS impressed with the premiere as I was with the first two season but this episode intrigued me more and, even though the most intertwsting character Maurice died last episode, the second runner up of the brothers really did it for me this episode. I legitimately laughed out loud when Sy said, "Slave girls?" Really caught me off guard. I also really enjoy the Russian themes they're injecting to the universe; we might even hear from Gayer! Can't wait for more!
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Well, I mean, by this point everybody's seen season 2 of the Wire, right? 

I legitimately laughed out loud when Sy said, "Slave girls?" Really caught me off guard. I also really enjoy the Russian themes they're injecting to the universe; we might even hear from Gayer! Can't wait for more!

This season seems to be adhering very tightly to the blueprint of the movie compared to Season 2.  
    Elisa