The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Book/Movie

Has anyone read/watched The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks?  I read the book a few months ago, and I just finished the HBO movie adaptation.  I really loved the book; it delved deeply into the many issues surrounding tissue research including patient consent, compensation, etc.  The story of the HeLa cells is incredible, and the depictions of the different members of the Lacks family are moving and feel very true to life.  The movie starts off a little clunky in my opinion, but it does come together to hit the main emotional moments from the book pretty well.  Anyone else have thoughts?

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    How did Oprah do?
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• How did Oprah do?

I thought she was great. I actually haven't seen her act before, and I thought she tackled a difficult role very well.

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    hall1114 said:

How did Oprah do?

I thought she was great. I actually haven't seen her act before, and I thought she tackled a difficult role very well.

Her acting sideline intrigues me since it's so infrequent and so different than her normal schtick but she's good at it. I think she's been acting more now since she's been done with the talk show.
    hall1114
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• The book was amazing. One of the most incredible scientific stories I've ever read. But the HBO version was terrible. Almost does a disservice to the HeLa story. But if it makes more people read the book, I'm good.
    hall1114
    "Cucumber water's for closers only."
  • I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but earlier today I saw a headline that read "Not even a great Oprah can save this mess of a movie".
  • The book was amazing. One of the most incredible scientific stories I've ever read. But the HBO version was terrible. Almost does a disservice to the HeLa story. But if it makes more people read the book, I'm good.

I agree the book was far superior. The science is definitely underserved in the movie version; they basically try to cover it in a five minute montage at the beginning. I think it may have been better served as a 4-6 episode miniseries.

• I first heard this story on Radiolab, and then proceeded to get the book. Still haven't read it or seen the movie, but it's an amazing story. I'd definitely recommend the podcast episode.