NFL Draft

Bears pull a shocker and give up a haul for the future QB!
No Half Measures....

Comments

  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Yes, interesting. Bears! Gotta resist jumping on Chargers band wagon in LA.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Haven't teams learnt from trading hauls of picks for a QB? Goff, Wentz, RG3, Gabbert & Ryan Leaf have cost their teams massive hauls of picks for nothing. Only really Sanchez and Vick had any value and neither of those were long term solutions for their teams. The only time I've seen a big trade up really work was Julio Jones but many people shot that down at first even though that guy is an alien. 

    I actually don't mind the Texans trading up to 12 for Watson, I think they had to get a QB when Romo wasn't an option any longer. 

    In the end though who really knows how they are going to go in the NFL but history is against the Bears
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Best case scenario. Bears have their future franchise QB and start competing for the NFC title and superbowl. Worst case scenario they have another 2 years of 3-13 to 8-8. they only gave up 2 3rd rounders and 1 4th. Hardly anything that will destroy their team. Especially considering the last 5 years of drafts the Bears havent drafted a single starter in the 3rd round anyway.
    heres the last 5 bears 3rd round picks. 

    Bullard: rotational player, maybe possibly a starter. jury not out.
    Grasu: injured, not a starter, now 2nd string
    Sutton: back up rotational player, hasnt shown anything over past 3 years to prove he will start
    Hardin: maybe suited up 1 or 2 games, cut and gone
    Conte: had a few good games but wouldn't be a starting safety on a playoff caliber team


     The only way this move really backfires is if Jamal Adams becomes the next Sean Taylor or Ed Reed. losing the 3rd round picks to potentially get a game changing QB is worth it. 
    No Half Measures....
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    Of all the trade up the Trubisky trade has the least number of assets considering Washington and Chargers gave up future 1st rounders in their trade ups. I really question the need for the trade up as SF weren't taking him and he was going to be available at 3 anyway. Its also odd considering the contract thrown at Glennon even though those contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on.

    3rd rounders are generally there for a reason except the odd player that everyone just missed on but some teams do a lot better there and it could be a reason that they have had loosing seasons in that time. 

    When does the NFC North even become winnable, the Packers will have the upper hand for at least 3-5 years just because Rodgers is a baaaaaad man. the Vikings are on the way down and the Lions are the Lions. So by the time that Trubisky will be ascending the division might be up for grabs. Maybe that makes the trade defendable but I just would have stayed where they were and make SF choose between Thomas and Trubisky


  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    yea. I have to believe the Bears really really wanted Trubisky and the 49ers had some great offers on the table. The 49ers came away like bandits though. 3 extra picks and still got the guy they wanted. 
    No Half Measures....
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This feels like a totally different organization than it has since Harbaugh left. Trading down and getting a top 2 prospect anyway, then trading back in with house money to get the top rated prospect at their biggest position of need. Short of those rumors of the Browns leaving Garrett on the board being true that couldn't have gone any better.
  • Where my Raiders fans at? Thought we got a good pick up with Conley, as long as allegations are cleared. It's a MAJOR roll of the dice, but I hope this works out. We still have a few pieces to pick up, but so far so good.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    If I'm Aron I'm ecstatic that Malik Hooker fell to the Colts. Dude was a consensus top 10 pick and the Colts got lucky.

    With Conley it's innocent until proven guilty but surprised the Raiders took that gamble with so many great CBS still on the board. There's still like 6 or 7 DBs out there I'd be estastic if the Bears can get at 36 today. Really hoping for Obi Melifwonu from Uconn.
    No Half Measures....
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    KingKobra said:

    Where my Raiders fans at? Thought we got a good pick up with Conley, as long as allegations are cleared. It's a MAJOR roll of the dice, but I hope this works out. We still have a few pieces to pick up, but so far so good.

    They all moved to Vegas... ;)
    No Half Measures....
  • Hey how do I join the fantasy league this year? Wanna get in on it
  • Hatorian said:

    KingKobra said:

    Where my Raiders fans at? Thought we got a good pick up with Conley, as long as allegations are cleared. It's a MAJOR roll of the dice, but I hope this works out. We still have a few pieces to pick up, but so far so good.

    They all moved to Vegas... ;)
    We are worldwide.....
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    davemcb said:

    Haven't teams learnt from trading hauls of picks for a QB? Goff, Wentz, RG3, Gabbert & Ryan Leaf have cost their teams massive hauls of picks for nothing. Only really Sanchez and Vick had any value and neither of those were long term solutions for their teams. The only time I've seen a big trade up really work was Julio Jones but many people shot that down at first even though that guy is an alien. 


    I actually don't mind the Texans trading up to 12 for Watson, I think they had to get a QB when Romo wasn't an option any longer. 

    In the end though who really knows how they are going to go in the NFL but history is against the Bears
    How on earth can you say that about Wentz already? It's even way too soon for Goff to be mentioned like that.
    "The mouse lady had kind eyes"
  • Very happy with the Jets grabbing Adams with the #6 pick.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 29
    gguenot said:

    Hey how do I join the fantasy league this year? Wanna get in on it

    I'll post a thread when we get closer. Everyone who wants in will get a chance. Last year we had 2 leagues. Hoping for 3 this year.

    EDIT: I should say though that given the discussion around commissioned podcasts with Aaron and Jim that we would need to OK things with them first. They have been supportive the past couple of years but I know there's a bit apprehension about commissioned podcasts now.
    No Half Measures....
  • mwspiakmwspiak Upstate NY
    I have so many mixed emotions on the trades that were made for QB's. On one hand you have no chance to win in todays NFL if you don't have at least a good QB. On the other hand if I was a bears fan I would scratch my head as to why my team gave up 3 draft picks to move up 1 spot for a QB that only started 13 games in college after they gave Mike Glennon 15 a year for 3 years in the offseason. I think the move would have been for them to get a weapon at #3 to help Glennon at and then take a stab at QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and hope you get lucky. 

    I think low-key the Browns had a really nice draft. They got 3 solid plays in the 1st round and then got their QB in the 2nd. Maybe Kizer ends up being nothing but I think its worth a second round pick for them to find out. 

  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @Underwood Goff was plain awful last season in likited appearances but it also cost the team way too much. Plus he has those small hands and smells like cabbage.

    I take it you're an Eagles fan so thats draws the question around Wentz. He seems the better pick but he also gets let off based on the fact the Eagles got 2 1st rounders for Bradford. Wentz has questionable footwork and got shown up after his hot start. He could be great but he has a lot of work to do.


    Underwood
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited 3:15AM
    Hatorian said:

    yea. I have to believe the Bears really really wanted Trubisky and the 49ers had some great offers on the table. The 49ers came away like bandits though. 3 extra picks and still got the guy they wanted. 

    from what i've heard, the browns and chiefs offered similar deals to SF. pace fell in love with Trubisky when he worked out for them, and even more when he had a secret dinner with him and fox. the kid set the reservation under 'James McMahon' which is kinda cool.

    it was no secret the bears were going to draft a QB in the first or second round to sit and learn behind Glennon. they just did it sooner than expected. and sure, on paper that Glennon's contact makes you wince but it's essentially a one year commitment if you look at the actual break down.

    i dunno, what they gave up is no where near what teams gave up for Goff, Wentz, RG3, Gabbert & Ryan Leaf
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited 8:11AM
    Chinaski said:

    Hatorian said:

    yea. I have to believe the Bears really really wanted Trubisky and the 49ers had some great offers on the table. The 49ers came away like bandits though. 3 extra picks and still got the guy they wanted. 

    from what i've heard, the browns and chiefs offered similar deals to SF. pace fell in love with Trubisky when he worked out for them, and even more when he had a secret dinner with him and fox. the kid set the reservation under 'James McMahon' which is kinda cool.

    it was no secret the bears were going to draft a QB in the first or second round to sit and learn behind Glennon. they just did it sooner than expected. and sure, on paper that Glennon's contact makes you wince but it's essentially a one year commitment if you look at the actual break down.

    i dunno, what they gave up is no where near what teams gave up for Goff, Wentz, RG3, Gabbert & Ryan Leaf
    Yea. Some scouts were saying Trubisky could have been the highest rated QB to come out of the draft in a decade if he actually played more games in college. Bears didn't mortgage the future to get him like you said so let's see if he's the real deal.
    No Half Measures....
Sign In or Register to comment.